Obviously...

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Fuzzle

Obviously...

Post by Fuzzle »

Let's make an obvious list of things that Mail needs.

1. Phoenix-styled themes
2. Less Bloat (although it's already slim)
3. Extensions
4. New Layout?
5. Updated default icons
6. Ability to handle mailto: - done
7. New Address book?
djst

Re: Obviously...

Post by djst »

1. Phoenix-styled themes

Arvid has agreed to make a theme for Minotaur.

2. Less Bloat (although it's already slim)

This is being worked on.

3. Extensions

This is planned.

4. New Layout?

What is your proposal?

5. Updated default icons

Should go along with the theme, for both Phoenix and Minotaur once the new names are chosen.

6. Ability to handle mailto:

On top of the todo-list.

7. New Address book?[/quote]

Why?
Fuzzle

Post by Fuzzle »

I don't know if you've used Mail.app on OSX, but the "unified" inbox is incredibly useful. Even though I only use two email accounts, I hate having to switch between each to read the mail. It's an incredible boon to be able to have all of your new mail in one central location. This is definitely a picky end user thing, but I personally feel it'd be useful.

If you were to rework the preference, similar to the way that Phoenix has, I'd fall in love with you. I've hated the NS mail/browser preferences for so long.

I realized I was way too tired when I wrote this.
By the "themes" comment, I meant something along the lines of a "theme package" where an author could design the theme, and have an installer made to activate the theme in both Phoenix and Minny. Another suggestion would be to drop the theming and use GUI standard APIs to draw them, but I doubt that would happen.

Mostly I'd be interested to see new innovation come from this project. There is nothing wrong with the address book persay, but it would be neat to possibly see it moved forward in some way...
Ditto on the previously mentioned addition of a calendar. A standards based calendar component would be very nice.
Chris Cook

Post by Chris Cook »

Fuzzle wrote:I don't know if you've used Mail.app on OSX, but the "unified" inbox is incredibly useful. Even though I only use two email accounts, I hate having to switch between each to read the mail. It's an incredible boon to be able to have all of your new mail in one central location. This is definitely a picky end user thing, but I personally feel it'd be useful.

Not everyone agrees with you. I find it incredibly counter-productive and confusing to have email sent to different email addresses go into the same mail folder.

I have multiple email addresses for a reason and I don't want my work email mixed up with my personal email mixed up with my special interest group email mixed up with some spam address...you get the picture.

It is possible to use message filters to accomplish what you want. Having a single mail folder should not be the default though.
Fuzzle

Post by Fuzzle »

Oh, I agree. But I think it would be a nice option.
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

I would actually like the option to choose for each account to use a unique set of folders or one "unified" set because I have a few email addresses that I want together, but one that I would like to keep separate.

Providing an option to choose would eliminate the whining from whichever side doesn't get what they want, as well.

I'm also wondering what problem in particular Fuzzle has with the layout.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
Fuzzle

Post by Fuzzle »

Not really a problem persay...
and i meant more qwith the preferences anyways.
Nostromo

Post by Nostromo »

Chris Cook wrote:
Fuzzle wrote:I don't know if you've used Mail.app on OSX, but the "unified" inbox is incredibly useful. Even though I only use two email accounts, I hate having to switch between each to read the mail. It's an incredible boon to be able to have all of your new mail in one central location. This is definitely a picky end user thing, but I personally feel it'd be useful.

Not everyone agrees with you. I find it incredibly counter-productive and confusing to have email sent to different email addresses go into the same mail folder.

I have multiple email addresses for a reason and I don't want my work email mixed up with my personal email mixed up with my special interest group email mixed up with some spam address...you get the picture.

It is possible to use message filters to accomplish what you want. Having a single mail folder should not be the default though.

I disagree..
I think that it would be much easier to create new folders and filters based on the receiver of the email, than to the opposite (redirect every email into one inbox).
Moreover, what annoyes me is that by default Minotaur creates Inboxes that I don't want and that I cannot delete because they belong to the program structure.

Besides, another way to deal with that would be to create multiple users, each of them with only one account.

I really like the way Eudora works (you can set multiple users and multiple accounts) also regarding the way it saves the attachments...

I hope that Minotaur will implement those features.
Nostromo
warenhaus

Post by warenhaus »

i think there should at least be an option to choose between the "one person / one inbox" or the "one address / one inbox" approaches.
ХУЙ ВОЙНЕ!
DiabolicDevilX

Post by DiabolicDevilX »

But the adressbook does really need a complete reworking. It's simply unusable. We need tha ability to add more than two mail adresses for one contact. And this nasty AIM stuff has to be removed...

Another point are the tray notifications. When I click on it i don't get new mail, i have to download new mail first.

And the mail start page... Why not use a local page which tells you something like "You have 3 new mails" and, if calendar is installed, current dates. Just like Outlook's Today page.
living beyond good and evil ~ !diabolicdevilx.com