Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
heightsmite

Post by heightsmite »

dansx6 wrote:I loaded up the latest Aviary branch today and TBE didn't work. I figured this would be a great opportunity to see if the other extensions that enhance tabbed browsing could replace it. .... I like the 7/10/04 branch build a lot but I don't think I will switch unless I can get the above (or TBE is updated).

Thanks

I'm in agreement here. TBE is broken on the last few builds, and I haven't been able to get the other tab enhancement extensions to do what I want. I sure hope that it's not the developers intent to leave this extension excluded on the road to 1.0 because that functionality is one of the big reasons I use FF.
Krule

Post by Krule »

Anyone able to get tab-x to work with the latest nightlies?
GriLLo

Post by GriLLo »

Hi,

I didn't read all the post on this long thread, but one option I'm missing from TBE that I cannot find anywhere, is the possibility to middle-click on a bookmark folder and open all it's bookmarks including the subfolders.

Is there any extension that does this ? I'm currently using only TBP.

TIA
[]´s
GriLLo
www.grillo.tk
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

TychoQuad:

Could you please re-list Tabbrowser Preferences under my name and my homepage? Chris Cook doesn't develop it anymore.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

TheOneKEA wrote:TychoQuad:

Could you please re-list Tabbrowser Preferences under my name and my homepage? Chris Cook doesn't develop it anymore.

Whoops, guess that's what happens when you forget to maintain a popular thread! I'm on it!
Raiken3712

Post by Raiken3712 »

Is saving a group of tabs as a bookmark or whatever a TBE thing because I used to be able to do this along time ago on .6 firebird with TBE installed so I was thinking it was a TBE feature... It would be great to get it back, but none of the replacement extensions listed seems to be that so if there is someone it would be great to know where that is.

Thank you
Firefox Version 88.0.1 (64-bit)
Thunderbird version 78.10.2 (64-bit)
Pgr

Post by Pgr »

Raiken3712 wrote:Is saving a group of tabs as a bookmark or whatever a TBE thing because I used to be able to do this along time ago on .6 firebird with TBE installed so I was thinking it was a TBE feature... It would be great to get it back, but none of the replacement extensions listed seems to be that so if there is someone it would be great to know where that is.

Thank you
Hmmm...

I used to know a way to set multiple sites as "Home" page, to make the browser open two or more tabs when starting, or when the home button was pressed.

It was basically simple, like going to Tools-->Option-->General-->Homepage and typing the two URL's with a separator.

But now I can't seem to make it work... probably I'm using the wrong separator. Anybody know how to do it?

And perhaps it works also with bookmarks, to have multiple pages in a single bookmark?
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

To set multiple sites as the homepage, open up the tabs you'd like to have, then go to Tools > Options > General and under Homepage, click Current Pages.

You could always bookmark a group of tabs. When you have multiple tabs open and open the Add Bookmark dialog, there is a checkbox for "Bookmark all tabs in a folder". Then you can middle click or choose Open in tabs to open the group except there's <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=250488">bug</a> with this feature present in branch builds since 20040708.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
neoborn

Post by neoborn »

Can anyone tell me is there a way to implement the tab bar scrollbar without putting TBE on my machine. I did try it but it was way to buggy and unstable. It also slowed browsing down. No offense, it's functionality is sweeeeeeeeet but just can't handle slow buggy sh!t. :)

I loved the fact that there was a horizontal tab scrollbar for me to use, as I usually have about 150 windows open :). I tried those little arrow ones and that's a little buggy 2 :(

Thanks for any help.

[UCC]Smack!
xtomxfallsx

Post by xtomxfallsx »

ReLiK wrote:Great thread. Its helped me a lot. I have a small request. Could somebody tell me if its possible to configure double-clicking on a tab to reload that tab rather than create a new tab.

I'd find a feature like that quite handy (especially since I browse a lot of different forums and like to refresh pages a lot)

I'm also looking for an extiension that will let doubleclicking a tab reload it. I find it is rather easy to just middle-click a tab to close it so I don't need to doubleclick it to do the same thing. TBE allows me to set what the different actions do.
Broken Mohawk
Good Cheap Design
samcramer

tar bar scrolling

Post by samcramer »

I also would like to know if there's an extension (other than <code>TBE</code>) which allows scrolling or "flowing" of the tab bar which can coexist with <code>miniT</code> and <code>undoclosetab</code>.
dorando

Post by dorando »

sboulema wrote:
sboulema wrote:I guess you probably by now noticed that im a pref addict :p
Would it be possible to enable/disable the tabscroll/docshell code with a pref?

any ideas ?
I tried allot of home made code, but it didnt work :(
Following should work, but only affects new windows:
// docShell access
if(gBrowser.mPrefs.getBoolPref("a.a")){
gBrowser.mStrip.childNodes[1].appendChild(document.createElementNS("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul","menuseparator"));
gBrowser.mStrip.childNodes[1].appendChild(document.getElementById("miniT-docShell"));
} else {
document.getElementById("miniT-docShell").parentNode.removeChild(document.getElementById("miniT-docShell"));
}

// tab bar scrolling
if(gBrowser.mPrefs.getBoolPref("a.b")){
miniT_scrolltab = function(event){ gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(event.detail < 0 ? -1 : 1 ); }
gBrowser.mTabContainer.addEventListener("DOMMouseScroll", miniT_scrolltab, false);
// linux-gtk2+xft hack
if(window.navigator.platform.search("Linux") != -1)
document.getElementById("navigator-toolbox").addEventListener("DOMMouseScroll", miniT_scrolltab, false);
}
caramanis

Post by caramanis »

It seems from sboulema's response that something in the below code allows for bookmarks to be opened in new tabs with a normal click. I would like to implement that function, but am not sure how to use the code, i.e. where to put it and whether it replaces anything or is added to something. Any help would be appreciated. Alternatively, if there's another way to have bookmarks open in new tabs, I'd be happy to hear that as well. Thank you.

dorando wrote:Expecting you want to have a pref for this also....

Code: Select all

--- minit-pass3.xul   Tue Jun 15 20:25:20 2004
+++ minit.xul   Fri Jun 18 00:36:40 2004
@@ -11,6 +11,7 @@

tablib.TabSelected = function (val)
 {
+  if(val) tablib.nextTab = 1;
   this.setAttribute("selected", val);
   if (gBrowser.mTabs[this.ordinal-1])
   {
@@ -35,7 +36,8 @@

eval("gBrowser.addTab ="+gBrowser.addTab.toString().replace(
 'if (!blank)',
-'if (gPrefService.getIntPref("browser.tabs.extensions.open_tab_in") == 2) position = this.mCurrentTab.ordinal-0+1; \
+'if (this.mPrefs.getIntPref("browser.tabs.extensions.open_tab_in") == 2) position = this.mCurrentTab.ordinal-0+tablib.nextTab; \
+ if (this.mPrefs.getBoolPref("gimme.some.name") == true) tablib.nextTab++; \
  t.ordinal = position; \
  this.mTabs.splice(position, 0, t); \
  for(i = position+1; i < this.mTabs.length; i++){this.mTabs[i].ordinal = i;} \
@@ -84,6 +86,11 @@
 eval("BookmarksCommand.openGroupBookmark ="+BookmarksCommand.openGroupBookmark.toString().replace(
 'browser.focus();',
 'browser.click();'));
+
+//
+eval("BookmarksUtils.getBrowserTargetFromEvent=" + BookmarksUtils.getBrowserTargetFromEvent.toString().replace(
+'return "current";',
+'return (gPrefService.getBoolPref("browser.tabs.opentabfor.anybookmark") == true ? "tab" : "current");'));

// dragging tab
 tablib.init();
Shouldn't affect anything else..., also a fix for the previous code. (don't forget to add browser.tabs.opentabfor.anybookmark to defaults/preferences/tablib.js)
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

I hope this will be added because that is the LAST thing I need to emulate what TBE did originally.
Basically the ability to opne Bookmarks into a new tab and focus to that new tab.

I know this is already talked about a billion times before but these are things I have recently dragged up in replacement to TBE.
These are all my TAB extensions (some not emulated in TBE)

1. Basics 1.0 - Adds a New Tab Button on the Tab Bar.
2. Sessionsaver 0.2d - Restores last browser layout when exited/crashed.
3. BlankLast 0.4 - Makes last tab blank when all other tabs haven been closed and supresses tabbar from closing.
4. FLST 0.6 - Focus on last selected tab after closing current tab.
5. miniT 20040615 - adds a drag and drop interface to move Tab windows around.
6. Single Window 1.0 - forces all windows to be opened in current window and opens external links into new tabs.
7. Tab X 0.2 - Adds the little X button on all tabs to close each one separately.
8. undoclosetab 20040617 - adds the ability to undo closing that tab you didn't want to close.
9. Url2NewTab 0.2 - Specifically designed to force all urls entered in addy bar into a new tab.
10. Tab Links 0.4 - makes any windows.open calls into newtab calls.

I have yet to use yours and I might use yours if you implement a open bookmark into new tab function on single left click and focus to any new tabs would be a bonus. TBE can do this.

I dunno if any of my above Extensions overlap one another but they are nearly a complete replacement for me to what TBE did.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
Wizard of OS

Post by Wizard of OS »

does somebody knowan extenstion which allows me to wheel scroll with my mouse over the tab bar?

plz do not suggest miniT oder AiO

btw, can somebody provide a link for tab links 0.4 too?

thx