Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: Getting your mail out of Windows live and into Thunderbird H

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I know the extension has always been cross platform compatible. Have you had a problem trying to install it on a Linux system?
KJShaw

Post by KJShaw »

UPDATE:

I found ImportExportTools 1.7.1.1.1 by Paolo on softpedia, but not v2

Thanks, again!

Kevin
KJShaw

Post by KJShaw »

Thanks, Dan.

I haven't tried yet. I'm building my fist Linux machine and am just trying to get my ducks in a row to migrate from XP.

I saw the Mac OS X version of 2 on Softpedia. Do you feel it would install and function on Linux? I'm not finding a Windows version at all on Softpedia. On Softonic I'm finding v1.6.1 for Windows
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are no "versions" as far as I know. That is what cross-platform means. And get the newest version from Paolo's site -- https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
KJShaw

Post by KJShaw »

Dan,

I know what cross platform means, I was just not aware that the tool was cross platform compatible. There's no mention of that on Paolo's site, either, BTW. Is this true of all Thunderbird extensions?

Like I said, this is my first foray into Linux/GPL after 15 years of supporting a Windows enterprise although I've been a happy Firefox user since version 0.something, well, at least since version 2 (I almost never have to switch to IE to view a website anymore).

When you are weaned on Windows, something is either Windows-compatible or it's not. It's a brave new world, I suppose.

Thanks for the link.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. For the most part, all extensions are cross-platform. Those that are not should indicate it on the extension home page, but of course that's up to the author.
rottenpuppets

Post by rottenpuppets »

I just wanted to stop in and say Thank You to everyone participating in this thread.
Going from Outlook '07 to Thunderbird was a big hassle. But I needed to get 4 folders and 1 email account off my main desktop and onto the netbook.

Bottom line was I had to export from Outlook '07 to Windows Mail. And then install the add-on for Thunderbird listed in the thread (ImportExportTools)
From there I re-created my folder setup manually (only 4 so no big deal here) and then imported the .eml files one folder at a time.

Now I have my account and 4 folders working on Thunderbird Portable, so thanks everyone. You made this little puppet a happy ball of fleece!!

-Steve
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
Polecaat

Post by Polecaat »

jsybalsky wrote:I am not getting snotty. I hate emails and bulletin boards because people jump to the wrong conclusion all the time. You made some statements that didn't appear to my reading of them as connected with my problem....nothing more nothing less.

Back to the issue---------

Okay here is what I have done. I downloaded and installed the add in Thunderbird from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html">https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html</a><!-- m -->
When I open Thunderbird and click on Tools I get the options to Import and Import/Export in mbox/eml format, in Import/Export in mbox/eml format I have options to export folder or export all messages in folder or import mbox or import xml file or import all eml files from a directory.

If I choose import all eml files from a directory it gives me a browse folder option so I can select a directory to search the files. If I pick/click livemail or a folder in livemail jsybalsky and click okay. Nothing further occurs.

If I click on a folder inside Thunderbird (in the left panel) it builds a summary (doesn't matter if I click on a folder before or after I try the import)

If I go down a few levels within my livemail folder (where all emails are stored) and pick random folder and go in it and click on one of the many folders it will import those.

I would imagine there has to bee a simpler way to import all emails at once as it would take forever one folder buried down the line at a time.

Oh and the files it imported made the dates of the imports 2094 and 2035

As for the send issue-It is still asking for a password to send.

And it's not receiving emails either. I have triple checked the settings and they match what I use in LIVEMAIL and the mail is received....sigh
Hi,
Just had the same problem importing into Thunderbird from Windows live.
Followed the steps above and it worked.
Just a different path for me which is:
C:/users/*NAME*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail/Storage Folders
When I clicked on the folder to import nothing seemed to happen for a couple of minutes, then it imported empty folders and waited a while before filling them up. Progress bar on bottom left of Thunderbird window.
Hope this helps :)

Post by Guest »

OK I have tried doing all of this also. I use Firefox and it downloads my email from my provider without any trouble. I have been using it for years and I get my messages instantly as they come to my provider.

I have recently signed up for a Live account so that it is easier to get my messages on my phone. But I can not get the messages to come into Firefox from there. It keeps saying that it has timed out. I have set incoming and outgoing exactly as directly by Mozilla. I also now have both email accounts using the same PW. So do I have to use this importer every time I want to get my messages? I think it should work the same as my other provider and download the messages as they come in when I am at home and have FF open.

Can some one please help me with this?
Thanks, Karen
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Karen, Firefox is a web browser, not an email client. Are you referring to Thunderbird? To what directions from Mozilla are you referring? What is the URL of that page?
LKC

Post by LKC »

Hi,
Just had the same problem importing into Thunderbird from Windows live.
Followed the steps above and it worked.
Just a different path for me which is:
C:/users/*NAME*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail/Storage Folders
When I clicked on the folder to import nothing seemed to happen for a couple of minutes, then it imported empty folders and waited a while before filling them up. Progress bar on bottom left of Thunderbird window.
Hope this helps :)

I have a similar problem, except the msgs don't come across. My Windows Live Mail store is in "C:/My Documents/WLMD Mail" for ease of backup, and my TBird store is similarly in "C:/My Documents/TBird Mail". I created a new folder (My Folders) as a child of Local Folders, then using the ImportExport Tools (2.3) I pointed to "C:/My Documents/WLMD Mail/Storage Folders" to import a directory and its sub-directories. The structure (i.e. all the folders) was imported OK, but none of them has any msgs in them.

Any suggestions?
fbx

Post by fbx »

New member here, trying to move from Windows Live Mail (client, on my computer) to Thunderbird, per this thread. I'm right now importing all my exported messages and waiting to see result, but I've got to say this thread incredibly helpful in the process. I am very grateful to all participants.

And I've got fingers crossed.

fbx

PS: MS has really screwed up with Windows Live Mail and Windows Live Hotmail (sometime just called Windows Live Mail). Yesterday I imported all my Contacts from a Windows Live Mail export back into Windows Live Mail on a different machine, 2040 contacts, and it took over three hours! Today I imported the same contacts from the same export folder into TBird in one minute thirty seconds or so.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You no longer need the extensions mentioned in this older topic. Hotmail has been providing POP3 servers for a few months now. The extensions were needed when they weren't providing them. See this: Hotmail - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Mohan Raj

Post by Mohan Raj »

its working fine.... thanks lot keep it up