Problems with Filters

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MPMcMahon

Problems with Filters

Post by MPMcMahon »

Problem #1: I just set up my email with Thunderbird (version 2.0.0.21 (20090302)), and I spent a couple of hours setting up my filters, as I have several accounts coming into my computer, and after I shut down last night and started up this morning, all of my filters were gone. Why is that happening? :cry:

Problem #2: When I try to change email accounts for creating filters, it changes the name on top, however, the filters remain from the account that I opened the filters from. What is wrong with the program, as I switched from Outlook because of the ease of the filters as compared to the rules from Outlook? ](*,)
For God and the U.S. Constitution!

Michael
SK.

Re: Problems with Filters

Post by SK. »

#1: How many accounts do you have? Does the filter file itself still exist? Check this page for information on Thunderbird profiles - files, location, etc.

#2: Which extensions are you using in Thunderbird? Is it possible that this issue is just #1 in reverse - that is, the filters are already existing for the other account, which is why the list stays the same?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
MPMcMahon

Post by MPMcMahon »

#1 9 accounts, this is the only profile I found C:\Documents and Settings\Michael's Backup\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uo73sxy1.default

#2 All filters disappear, not any specific account, but all accounts. Does that help?

Michael
SK.

Post by SK. »

Please answer my remaining questions on both issues.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

MPMcMahon...
Sorry to butt in.
Please remove the coloured text in your sig. as per The Rules.
Thank you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
MPMcMahon

Post by MPMcMahon »

LIMPET235 wrote:MPMcMahon...
Sorry to butt in.
Please remove the coloured text in your sig. as per The Rules.
Thank you.
LIMPET...

I have complied with your request, however the rules state that "Colored text should not be used in signatures." and not may not be used. The context of the word should was taken as a recommendation, I would suggest that the rules be more clear and the option to use colors be removed, that way there is no confusion. Not to be rude or such, but I just wanted to clarify.

Michael
MPMcMahon

Post by MPMcMahon »

Now back to the Topic:

SK wrote:#1: How many accounts do you have? Does the filter file itself still exist? Check this page for information on Thunderbird profiles - files, location, etc.

#2: Which extensions are you using in Thunderbird? Is it possible that this issue is just #1 in reverse - that is, the filters are already existing for the other account, which is why the list stays the same?

#1 - I am having 9 accounts received by Thunderbird, and I set up rules specific to each account. I checked for the filter file and this was the only file I found under profiles: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael's Backup\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uo73sxy1.default

#2 - I checked for the filters for all of the accounts separately and they ALL were gone. I am finding a new issue with trying to go to the different filters, in the "Message Filters" box, as The account name changes if I try to select a different account, but nothing below changes (I have started to re-input the filters). I have to close the Manage Filters Box and go to the Account name and then click on Manager message filters to change to a different account's filters.

I am starting to feel that this may be a bug in the problem and the root cause for the overall problem.

Michael
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Michael...
Many thanks.
I have no say in how the Rules are written or interpreted by various people.
I just try to adhere to them.
There's only one owner of this site & what he says, goes.
I'm guessing here, but maybe he, like me, (& others), don't like to be "put off" by all the
colours & "other flashy stuff" when trying to assist other users.
L..
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
SK.

Post by SK. »

MPMcMahon wrote:I checked for the filter file and this was the only file I found under profiles: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael's Backup\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uo73sxy1.default

Had you read the link I provided earlier on profiles, you would have learned that what you think is a file is actually a directory that contains your profile. Dig deeper. You need to find the specific files that contain your filters for each account. I am trying to help you determine whether the problem is: Are the filter files missing or are they not being recognized by Thunderbird?
MPMcMahon wrote:#2 - I checked for the filters for all of the accounts separately and they ALL were gone. I am finding a new issue with trying to go to the different filters, in the "Message Filters" box, as The account name changes if I try to select a different account, but nothing below changes (I have started to re-input the filters). I have to close the Manage Filters Box and go to the Account name and then click on Manager message filters to change to a different account's filters.

I am starting to feel that this may be a bug in the problem and the root cause for the overall problem.

You still haven't answered my question about the extensions you are using.
MPMcMahon

Post by MPMcMahon »

SK wrote:
MPMcMahon wrote:I checked for the filter file and this was the only file I found under profiles: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael's Backup\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\uo73sxy1.default

Had you read the link I provided earlier on profiles, you would have learned that what you think is a file is actually a directory that contains your profile. Dig deeper. You need to find the specific files that contain your filters for each account. I am trying to help you determine whether the problem is: Are the filter files missing or are they not being recognized by Thunderbird?
MPMcMahon wrote:#2 - I checked for the filters for all of the accounts separately and they ALL were gone. I am finding a new issue with trying to go to the different filters, in the "Message Filters" box, as The account name changes if I try to select a different account, but nothing below changes (I have started to re-input the filters). I have to close the Manage Filters Box and go to the Account name and then click on Manager message filters to change to a different account's filters.

You still haven't answered my question about the extensions you are using.
The only file that shows up when I go to the profiles file as following the instructions in the link is the uo73sxy1.default. There is nothing else.

As for the extensions, I am not sure of what you mean. I create filters by clicking on the senders email address and clicking on "Create Filter from Message", then specify the constraints & Actions and then save and run them. But I am now noticing a new folder that is showing up under all of my email accounts below, but not linked to, the Trash. this is fle folders name tmprules.dat.

Michael
SK.

Post by SK. »

MPMcMahon wrote:The only file that shows up when I go to the profiles file as following the instructions in the link is the uo73sxy1.default. There is nothing else.

That's the key piece of information you seem to be glossing over when you read the link about profiles. uo73sxy1.default is not a file. It is a directory.
MPMcMahon wrote:As for the extensions, I am not sure of what you mean.

Check Tools | Add ons | Extensions and provide the list you see. There may be only one.
MPMcMahon wrote:But I am now noticing a new folder that is showing up under all of my email accounts below, but not linked to, the Trash. this is fle folders name tmprules.dat.

tmprules.dat, on the other hand, is a file.
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

Post removed and New thread started
Last edited by kaz101 on May 20th, 2009, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James

Post by James »

MPMcMahon wrote: I would suggest that the rules be more clear and the option to use colors be removed, that way there is no confusion.

One could not use colour text or images in signatures before but after a forum upgrade from phpBB 2.0.* to 3.0.* they were enabled again for some reason.
kaz101

Post by kaz101 »

Post removed (couldn't see how to delete it)
Last edited by kaz101 on May 20th, 2009, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SK.

Post by SK. »

kaz101: These topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks.