Thunderbird on two computers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bobnic

Thunderbird on two computers

Post by bobnic »

Hi all,

I use two computers, one at work, one at home. These are connected on a peer to peer network. Can I set up Thunderbird so that I can copy the message-base from "work" to "home" in the evenings and from "home to "work" in the mornings, so that I can have the full messagebase available on whichever machine I am using?

Cheers

Bob

Post by Guest »

Synchronizing profile back and forth is possible -- but doing it everyday might be a hassle. The long way about is to do a backup / restore every morning / evening across the machines :( : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... _Restoring

A better bet is to share a common location for the mails from the 2 intsallations (since you mentioned they are on a network). Note however that (a) you will need to set proper permissions so that users can access the common location and (b) only one machine can access the profile at any point of time. To achieve this you will need to change the profile location to a common one: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... r_Location

Finally, the best approach is to use an IMAP server. An IMAP server is like a shared-mail-folder on the server. Any action you take from the client is executed at the server, the mail remains on the server and you can access the mails from anywhere!! There are free IMAP accounts available (check www.emailaddresses.com )
You can do a weak simulation of similar behaviour using a POP account as well -- you have to set both installations to "Leave messages on server". That way it will get downloaded in both places. However, you will need to decide one as master and set it to "Delete messages when I move or delete them" so that you dont run out of space.

HTH.....
bobnic

Post by bobnic »

Since my posting I have found "Portable Thunderbird" and wonder if this will do what I need as I know nothing about IMAP etc. Does anyone know if "Portable Thunderbird" will work in my circumstances?

Otherwise I suspect that the network option mentioned below might be the answer....

Thank you for your suggestions to date.

Bob

Anonymous wrote:Synchronizing profile back and forth is possible -- but doing it everyday might be a hassle. The long way about is to do a backup / restore every morning / evening across the machines :( : http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... _Restoring

A better bet is to share a common location for the mails from the 2 intsallations (since you mentioned they are on a network). Note however that (a) you will need to set proper permissions so that users can access the common location and (b) only one machine can access the profile at any point of time. To achieve this you will need to change the profile location to a common one: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... r_Location

Finally, the best approach is to use an IMAP server. An IMAP server is like a shared-mail-folder on the server. Any action you take from the client is executed at the server, the mail remains on the server and you can access the mails from anywhere!! There are free IMAP accounts available (check www.emailaddresses.com )
You can do a weak simulation of similar behaviour using a POP account as well -- you have to set both installations to "Leave messages on server". That way it will get downloaded in both places. However, you will need to decide one as master and set it to "Delete messages when I move or delete them" so that you dont run out of space.

HTH.....
harish mohanan

Re: Thunderbird on two computers

Post by harish mohanan »

I use two computers on lan. They both are sharing a common "local folder" ie the one on the server. I have had no problems till now. But while loading the folder there is a small procedure saying preparing files. So it takes a little time to load that is all
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird on two computers

Post by LIMPET235 »

You're replying to a very old thread.
Thanks but doubt whether it's being monitored.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)