Thinking about Refreshing the Firefox Icon

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
a;skdjfajf;ak

Re: Thinking about Refreshing the Firefox Icon

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

toods wrote:Just a question out of interest:

Is this revised branding going to be pushed to the Mozilla 1.9.0 tree (Firefox 3.0.xx) to maintain consistency of the 'brand'?.

Bill.

I would guess, very unlikely.
toods

Post by toods »

Littlemutt wrote:

Is this revised branding going to be pushed to the Mozilla 1.9.0 tree (Firefox 3.0.xx) to maintain consistency of the 'brand'?.

Bill.

I'm quite surprised then as it's such a low risk thing to do and it's a brand image issue.

Bill.
Slackware, 12.1
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I doubt too many non mac user will even notice the change. It's pretty underwhelming
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Stifu

Post by Stifu »

toods wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:

Bill.

I'm quite surprised then as it's such a low risk thing to do and it's a brand image issue.

Bill.

It is low risk, but back porting it would kill the whole point of the icon refresh: a new icon for a new major version. It is there to make 3.5 feel different, to reflect the new things introduced in it.
You didn't see the IE team backport the IE7 icon to IE6, or anything like that before... and that's good. If I see the new IE icon, I can tell it's a version newer than IE6, namely IE7 or 8. It makes the product more recognizable.

Besides, considering how minor the icon refresh is, there is still consistency. It's not like people will update to 3.5 and think "What the hell is that!?!" when looking at the icon.
toods

Post by toods »

Stifu wrote:--------the whole point of the icon refresh: a new icon for a new major version. It is there to make 3.5 feel different, to reflect the new things introduced in it.

Looking at it from that perspective, I understand.

Good work on the Branding. I look forward to using it.

Bill.
Slackware, 12.1
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

malliz wrote:I doubt too many non mac user will even notice the change. It's pretty underwhelming

Agreed. It won't turn as many heads as the sweeping IE gold halo, but atleast it'll add a little Vaseline gloss.
Euchre

Post by Euchre »

Could someone ambitious take a nice set of the 3 generations of logos and do a side by side by side comparison image? I am curious to see just how much change there really is.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
Kuden

Post by Kuden »

Well... The new icon is not displayed on my Windows 2000 SP4 PC.

- save this icon file on desktop
Screenshot

Does anyone reproduce this on Windows 2000 SP4?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

The new 3.5pre builds appear to be based on a 6/6/2009 build. The new Icon didn't go in until after the QA (Quality Assurance) build was completed.

The presence of absence of the Icon does not makes the browser any more/less functional, and that is what Mozilla team is working on with the release, Functionality.

EDIT: IMO, the choice has been made and this thread is now more or less 'Dead', and should be locked.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Agreed and locked.

If this needs re-opened for any reason, please request so through PM to any moderator or use this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=594014

Reopened at request.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.