Firefox 3.5 b99 - total mess

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pykko

Firefox 3.5 b99 - total mess

Post by pykko »

I've set Firefox 3.5 beta 4 to automatically download and install any update. Big mistake!

It downloaded FF 3.5 b99 and everything went bad. I had all bugs noticed here: http://www.ghacks.net/2009/06/09/firefox-35-preview/

I decided to uninstall. I tried this, without deleting my settings, but .... when I tried to install FF 3.5 beta 4 again, but I was receiving errors while loading my saved bookmarks.
I was forced to uninstall completely, deleting all my bookmarks, customizations, preferences. :(

It was presumed that a new version will be better. It is the worst ever. Even FF 3.5 beta 1, or 2 were working better.
LoudNoise

Re: Firefox 3.5 b99 - total mess

Post by LoudNoise »

The only bug listed there is problems with the "Wordpress admin interface" and maybe some problems with some sites functionality.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Addons not working is the fault of the addon author, not the Firefox build team.

Perhaps, you should not be messing with pre-release software...
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Before you deleted your profile did you try to restore any of the back up bookmark json files?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ViciouslyCold

Post by ViciouslyCold »

You know this add-on can force almost any other addon to be compatible.

MR Tech Toolkit
James

Post by James »

ViciouslyCold wrote:You know this add-on can force almost any other addon to be compatible.

MR Tech Toolkit

Does Not mean they will automatically work without problems as some Extensions and more so with Themes may need more work then just a simple maxversion bump.
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

The wordpress bug seems to be:
#497074[Core:JavaScript Engine]-wordpress iframes [All]
It'll be fixed in the release candidate. It's reportedly already fixed on trunk builds. But finding things like this is the point of the preview.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
ViciouslyCold

Post by ViciouslyCold »

James wrote:
ViciouslyCold wrote:You know this add-on can force almost any other addon to be compatible.

MR Tech Toolkit

Does Not mean they will automatically work without problems as some Extensions and more so with Themes may need more work then just a simple maxversion bump.

Yes that is true but that is also a rarity especially when your talking about going from Firefox 3.0 to 3.5. The difference in the 2 are minimal when it comes to add-ons. Themes are another story because some Firefox 3.0 themes make Firefox 3.5 look messy and they always seem to hide that ie 7 - like tab on the right.

But when your messing with Nightly, Alpha and Beta builds you have to try these things out. If they don't work right just go into the Firefox folders in your "AppData" section and delete them all. You then start completely over. Fact is if you aren't willing to put up with some problems then you should stick with Official Releases and wait for your favorite add-ons to become compatible with the newer Firefox versions.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

ViciouslyCold-

Would you please avoid the red text in the future? Some folks find it annoying. Thanks.
Post wrangler
makondo

Post by makondo »

Right. As well as preaching about testing beta. The fact is, most people who install it, know it is beta and can be buggy. However, when something doesn't work as expected, what harm is in sharing your experience in the builds forum and see if others might have the same problems and/or know something you might be missing? What do you suggest people do - go to the Time Square and open a champagne bottle? Of course we can search and read, etc. but that 'etc.' includes speaking to others in this forum, as far as i'm concerned.
I've been using alphas and betas for 5 years now and this is the worst beta(-s) in my experience (yes, my experience, as i can't speak for others). I actually went back to 3.0.10 'cause i can't deal with all the cr..ackers of 3.5beta (don't waste your breath, i do still have 3.5 too).
James

Post by James »

ViciouslyCold wrote:But when your messing with Nightly, Alpha and Beta builds you have to try these things out. If they don't work right just go into the Firefox folders in your "AppData" section and delete them all. You then start completely over. Fact is if you aren't willing to put up with some problems then you should stick with Official Releases and wait for your favorite add-ons to become compatible with the newer Firefox versions.

Well no need to preach the issues with using Extensions and Themes with nightlies to me as I have easily used a few thousand nightlies over the last several years...

If you need to use colour to read your posts better then use some userContent.css or in Stylish extension like the examples at http://userstyles.org/styles/search/mozillazine instead of inconveniencing others.
toods

Post by toods »

There are frequently posts on this forum about upgrades to Firefox, including developments versions, causing problems with 'add-ons' and 'themes' extensions.

Obviously, it should be the responsibility of the extension author to deal with version compatibility, but often it is not that the extension won't work it's just because it is not configured to install in the version of Firefox in question.

An easy check that I perform is to go into the 'profile' directory and in the 'extensions' subdirectory, edit all the 'install.rdf' files and 'bump' the maximum version number (presently to something like '3.6.* ').

Then re-start Firefox and see how it works.

Bill.
Slackware, 12.1
MaFt

Post by MaFt »

it's 'lightbox' style effects that seem to be affected eg the insert image stuff in wordpress admin pages, the videos here http://77x.org.uk/?page=media&sub=video and the photos here: http://www.jproductions.info/?page=stills

however, the images here: http://77x.org.uk/?page=media&sub=photo&set=hx0812 work fine

MaFt
BenneJezzerette

Post by BenneJezzerette »

Guess my photo rendition of the steps I go through were not accepted by this group. Well since posting that and has not rebooted, yes, all my Theme and Extensions seem to be just fine. So what is this anomoly? Why do the Theme and Extensions Break after a Reboot and not when I just run my system? Can anyone explain this to an old lady that LOVES Firefox and just does not wish to have to go to any other browser? Please can someone Clearly explain this?
Vista Home Premium 64 AMD 9950 Quad Core + 8GB DDR2 1066 1x500GB 1X750GB Partitioned 1X1TB MSI GTX260 896
Firefox Safe Browsing - Pocomail Safe E-Mail from Script Kitties
True Internet Surfing + E-Mail not Junk
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

They were merged with your question about extensions here viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1288115
Post wrangler