Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out

Post by KRS73 »

I'm getting this error message:
Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out

Running TB 2.0.0.21
Vista
Gmail
Windows Firewall
The machine is brand new and I haven't yet installed any antivirus software.

I've double and triple-checked my settings as per Gmail's instructions for setting up IMAP access.
smsmith

Re: Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out

Post by smsmith »

Did it used to work in Thunderbird, or is this the first time you have set it up?

Can you load Gmail in your browser? Sometimes Gmail goes down.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
KRS73

Post by KRS73 »

This is a brand new computer. I used TB with an IMAP connection to my gmail account from my old XP computer with no problems. When I first installed it on this one, I set up the account by choosing "Gmail" instead of "Email Account", not realizing that it would install a POP setup. That was working, but it wasn't what I wanted, so I deleted the account and reinstalled following the IMAP instructions. It has yet to do anything useful.

I can access my Gmail account via a browser with no problems.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Make sure you enabled IMAP in your Gmail settings. Also check the additional settings here:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... tx=sibling <-- Click the Thunderbird 2 link.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
KRS73

Post by KRS73 »

IMAP has been enabled on my Gmail for at least two years (as long as I've been using TB). I double-checked however to make sure it hadn't changed, and it hasn't. The settings on the link you suggested didn't help.
lashram

Post by lashram »

Anonymous wrote:IMAP has been enabled on my Gmail for at least two years (as long as I've been using TB). I double-checked however to make sure it hadn't changed, and it hasn't. The settings on the link you suggested didn't help.
Bump

Didn't help me either
MattCoops

Post by MattCoops »

Didn't help me either
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Maybe it has to do with having set up the account as pop first. Try making a new profile and setting the account up using IMAP in accordance with Google's recommendations.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
ashwinipn

Post by ashwinipn »

KRS73 wrote:IMAP has been enabled on my Gmail for at least two years (as long as I've been using TB). I double-checked however to make sure it hadn't changed, and it hasn't. The settings on the link you suggested didn't help.

Hi, I am facing the similar problem.... I have two gmail along with few organizational (lab related, .edu) accounts that had been used as POP successfully till today in Thunderbird.... For sometime, one of the gmail accounts (my main one), behaving little problematic, which I ignored because of very small nature of glitches... Yesterday, it was not able to download messages on TB and will suggest that either the message contains virus of there is not enough space on disk.... When I googled it, found there were others also facing such problems..... tried variuos means like pruning all the account messages down, compacting folders etc. with no avail. In the mean time, I thought of switching to IMAP and used the other gmail account as experimental. I deleted POP account and established IMAP and have followed the instructions on google for the recommended settings. My this experimental IMAP account works fine, along with other lab related POP accounts without any trouble. However, the main account in question does not. In POP it used to give error message that I noted above. After deleting the account, I compacted all the folders and closed the firefox, rebooted the system, established the IMAP google account according to the recommendations.... But only this account is not working OK.... Now it says, "connection to the server imap.gmail.com timed out" ...... Both gmail accounts open on web flawlessly.... What I am wondering is, if the problem was with google, it would have affected both the accounts.... If the problem is with TB, it would have affected other accounts as well, at least both the gmail accounts... This way, I think it has something to do with this particular gmail account, but not able to pin point.... the difference between two accounts is, that the main one has few google labs features enabled.... But these have been enabled for long and everything was working fine..... This kind of problem and some other (with other people, I maintain things in the lab), I have been noticing recently.... Previously I did not come across such problems.... Can't pin point whether these coincide with any of the updates in thunderbird, or anything wrong at google's server (may be specific) end.... Any help in this regards would be appreciated....

Ashwini

Post by Guest »

Well, I too am confronting these situations. I am running Wins XP, Zone Alarm Free, Avast 4 Home. I installed TB then set up my Gmail account. The first thing that happened was I got the error "Mail server imap.gmail.com is not an IMAP4 mail server". I checked to see that the imap and smtp settings were correct - 993 & 587 respectfully. Strangely the imap setting had reverted back to 143. I changed it to 993. Tried sending email again. Same response. Checked the settings and the imap was back to 143!! I switched to TLS on the Server settings for imap and the port 993 is sticking. I still cannot send emails. I now get this response "Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out".
My internet connection is working flawlessly and fast.
Very disappointed as I have my Gmail and Google Apps email accounts working without a hitch in Linux operating system.
ashwinipn

Post by ashwinipn »

Guest wrote:Well, I too am confronting these situations. I am running Wins XP, Zone Alarm Free, Avast 4 Home. I installed TB then set up my Gmail account. The first thing that happened was I got the error "Mail server imap.gmail.com is not an IMAP4 mail server". I checked to see that the imap and smtp settings were correct - 993 & 587 respectfully. Strangely the imap setting had reverted back to 143. I changed it to 993. Tried sending email again. Same response. Checked the settings and the imap was back to 143!! I switched to TLS on the Server settings for imap and the port 993 is sticking. I still cannot send emails. I now get this response "Connection to server imap.gmail.com timed out".
My internet connection is working flawlessly and fast.
Very disappointed as I have my Gmail and Google Apps email accounts working without a hitch in Linux operating system.

Hi,
My problem is solved completely... Rather, it appears to be a better option..... Now with the Google recommended settings (please refer to the links below), I find it much better than POP.... Now I just have to delete message/s in one place, e.g., TB and it gets deleted from the web mail too.... Additionally, when I see "All mails" folder, that message is still there.... so, my inbox stays clean.... Moreover, now all the labels as folders are downloaded in the TB....
My suggestion would be to delete POP account of Gmail... and establish IMAP.... be sure not just to change the port in the box by typing.... but when you change the security settings to SSL, port 993 is selected automatically .... Once everything is set properly.... you will get connected to your gmail and all the headers would get downloaded in a jiffy.... as opposed to the POP where download takes lots of time... For establishing new account, select email rather than gmail account..... Be sure to use full ID everywhere asked.... e.g., xyz@gmail.com ... Please follow the links carefully...

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=78799
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... wer=78892#

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Ashwini

Edit: Don't forget to disable POP and enable IMAP in the settings of gmail....