Window-Q 0.1 d10 (complete single-window)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Get more themes link in the Themes manager opens a new window, and clicking submit on the power poll locataed at http://www.sportsnet.ca/ opens a new tab for the please wait window, then proceeds to open a new window with the results. I am using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040719 Firefox/0.9.1+
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
rue

Post by rue »

Window-Q v.1 d11 (metaphor): <a href="http://www.eschew.org/misc/firefox/index.php?dir=&file=windowq-01-dev.xpi">Installer</a>.
Alright, read carefully. You must start with a fresh profile, and cannot install TBP, TBE, or SingleWindow. This extension will honour these prefs: <blockquote>browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen
browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick
ui.key.saveLink.shift
browser.tabs.loadInBackground
</blockquote> Link Behaviour. With this release, we re-claim control of link behaviour. Left-clicking any link -- javascript, onclick, or href -- will load it in the current window. Middle-clicking will open a tab. Shift-click should follow browser + pref convention.
Popups. Sized popups open in a special frame. The frame can be dragged / resized, and traversing page-links inside will adjust the browser-tab's history to follow. Tabs containing these frames have a custom protocol wrapping the url / parameters.
[ Notes: The fresh profile is necessary because two people had "interesting" results when installing to existing ones. Popup-frames aren't quite aesthetic... yet. ]
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Wow... That is... very impressive! The bugfixes are nice, but that popup thingy kicks ass!

I do have a couple of bug reports for it though. So far I have only been able to think of 2 sites that use these popups, and I noticed a small discrepency in both.

www.newgrounds.com
clicking on a game from the main page, and selecting "play this game" will get you a popup window. The popups I get here are sized just slightly too small to fit into the (inner) windows provided. I have to stretch them out a little.

www.yourtv.com.au
Doing a simple search, and retreving a tv listing, and then clicking on the name of a program will give you a short description in a popup window. These windows have scrollbars. scrolling down will leave a grey trail from the bottom of the (inner) window. Scrolling back up will do the same for the top of the document. (I experience this problem on newgrounds too if i shrink the window enough to add scrollbars)

If you can give me the names of some more sites which have these sorts of popups, feel free to link to them so I can test them too.

I just noticed the fancy transparent "WQ" when dragging a popup window! that's sweet!

EDIT: I know the popup area is a work in progress, but I have some ideas for it anyway. What if the background area, instead of being stark white, was to use the background colour/image of the popup, allowing them to blend together easier.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

EDIT2:
rue wrote:Left-clicking any link -- javascript, onclick, or href -- will load it in the current window. Middle-clicking will open a tab. Shift-click should follow browser + pref convention.

A quick question about this: you say left clicking on ANY link will open it in the current window, does that include target="_blank" href links, like this:? <a href="http://www.sportsnet.ca/" target="_blank">http://www.sportsnet.ca/</a> because I'm getting that in a new tab.
littleman87

Post by littleman87 »

I love the newest version that you made! it does everything you need for the single window effect much more effective than TBE, TBP and Single Window and faster too :)

Although i noticed after i installed it i cannot access manage bookmarks in the menu up on top.
I am using a fresh profile and install of the 7-22 nightly
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040722 Firefox/0.9.1+
blackIris

Post by blackIris »

Great update Rue! Really nice. Replaces TBP for me, but I'm still hoping that you figure out the middle click + js problem.

littleman87:
Manage Bookmarks WFM.
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Nice work rue, love the new way of handling popups. The bug I posted above regarding sportsnet.ca is still there, and middle clicking on js links still doesnt work, although im not sure that middle clicking js links was supposed to work in this release in the first place.

Edit: I cant open any js links at all. Im using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040721 Firefox/0.9.1+ .
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
rue

Post by rue »

d11 pass2: <a href="http://www.eschew.org/misc/firefox/index.php?dir=&file=windowq-01-dev.xpi">Installer</a>.
Mini-Changelog wrote: onclick cascading to href is honoured
second attempt: middle-click for windows
left-clicked external links honour browser.block.target_new_window (current vs. new)
--
Tycho:
Your game site is serving the popups 8px under-sized -- it's not Window-Q's fault. Also, having a background for popups is a good idea. I'll be landing all the gui-tweaks at once, after functionality is complete. Lastly, I'd forgotten: external targets are now trapped.
--
BlackIris:
I can't test middle-click, unfortunately, under windows -- the emulator doesn't support my wireless trackball. Try this release. I've lessened the restrictions for click-determinance.
--
f4lc0n:
Disallow popups for your sports.ca site. As noted in the first post, allowing popups also allows true window.open() during initial page-load. This is because Window-Q replaces window.open() after a mousedown or page-load -- whichever comes first.
blackIris

Post by blackIris »

Really nice! Window-Q caught my middle click + js on one of my sites. That popup iframe is cool. I also noticed the "popup:" in the location bar. I do not know how you did that but is just pretty cool. I was just wondering that if the middle click + js could catch "location.href" also. This would allow hotmail to work properly with tabs. Not to rain on anyones parade but i think that a sized popup sould open a new tab on a left click. Think about it, what if you are on a site with a WYSIWYG editor and you click on of the js buttons that is going to spawn a popup window. Instead a new page is loaded and all you data is lost. Just a thought. Maybe it would be better to have a whitelisting for popup windows in that situation.

Just cause I'm curious, what is the name of this update? The first was duality (slipknot reference?) and the second was metaphor.

Anyway.. great work rue, Window-Q is really coming together. Thanks for your hard work.
blackIris

Post by blackIris »

I do not quite know what triggered this, but after I used Sage I found that I can not open the download, mange bookmarks, or adblock preferences through the menu items. The javascript console did find an error (I could not use it though the menu either).

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804b000a [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x804b000a (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://windowq/content/windowQ.js :: anonymous :: line 518" data: no]

I hope that helps. Sorry for being so vague.
aarstar

Post by aarstar »

I'm experiencing the same problems after using Sage. Here is the error message:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x804b000a [nsIIOService.newURI]" nsresult: "0x804b000a (<unknown>)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://windowq/content/windowQ.js :: anonymous :: line 518" data: no]

EDIT: I forgot to say thanks for the great extension :-D
blackIris

Post by blackIris »

All right after some testing it seems that anything that will spawn the sidebar will cuase the noted error above. The really odd bit though is that the extensions window will open.
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

Do you have to use a clean profile to install this extension?
rue

Post by rue »

d11 pass4: <a href="http://www.eschew.org/misc/firefox/index.php?dir=&file=windowq-01-dev.xpi">Installer</a>.
Mini-Changelog wrote: pass3: gmail's onclick failure cascades, proper
pass4: sidebar works (sage, et. al)
--
blackIris:
Thanks for testing- your second post saved much time. I'd rather avoid new prefs, but you can allow all popups to open in new windows. See above for the listing of honoured prefs. Location.href handling is coming.
--
soccer_dude:
A new profile is not required -- just highly recommended. One person had a "phantom install", another's browser simply refused to load. Both looked like EM-issues, rather than Window-Q, but I decided to head-off potential alarm by so advising.
aarstar

Post by aarstar »

rue: After I install the newest version of your extension I am not able to close any tabs, either by middle-clicking or using the close tab button. Once I uninstall it, the expected behavior returns.

Thanks again.