Passwords aren't transfering into Fx 3.5

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
RazorBoy

Passwords aren't transfering into Fx 3.5

Post by RazorBoy »

Does anybody know how to transfer username/password data into Firefox 3.5? I tried copying key3.db and signons3.txt into its new profile to make that happen, and nothing is showing up at all.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Re: Passwords aren't transfering into Fx 3.5

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

I get confused on all the different versions/variations that are currently running around, but I believe signon3.txt is now called signons.sqlite

Also, make sure you are copying the files into the right place. Should go into your working Profile.
See here to find it: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
Harlequin99

Post by Harlequin99 »

When fx is closed if you delete/rename/move any signons.sqlite files in your profile. Next time you start fx it should then create a new signons.sqlite from your signon3.txt
RazorBoy

Post by RazorBoy »

Harlequin99 wrote:When fx is closed if you delete/rename/move any signons.sqlite files in your profile. Next time you start fx it should then create a new signons.sqlite from your signon3.txt

Deleted signons.sqlite from profile, then inserted signons3.txt into it and opened Firefox 3.5 again. Nothing. No passwords at all were visible. I wonder if you have to get into the signons3.txt file, and modify it, to make it work correctly so that the transfer to the sqlite version of the sqlite file can be made?
Canonguy

Post by Canonguy »

This is a MAJOR problem with this version of FX.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Hey, all. Been out of the loop for a while. I was gong to jump in and get RC 2. Until seeing this thread, that is. Is this issue the norm? Or just an issue with the OP?
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

All my passwords transferred without a problem.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Uncle Spellbinder

Thanks.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

But you should make sure you made a backup of your profile anyway, that's suggested on every major update (and possible even every few weeks, in case your HDD crashes). Trough FF updates never screwed my profile. Some extensions and a HDD did at one point.
Uncle Spellbinder

Yep. I back up my profile at least twice a month. Stored on and external drive and online.
makondo

Post by makondo »

It happened to me (actually in 3.5b4 and 3.5b99) - i transferred 3 signons and key3 files from my backups and still had to login as new everywhere. Yeah, i was mad. This is the lousiest release ever in my 5 yrs. history. The RC is so alphish, i can't believe they're about to release it. Many seem to be hyped on speed '...it's fast!...' I'm not in a particular hurry and don't care about milliseconds or seconds, for that matter, so this means nothing to me if the browser crashes every time i touch it (i've never had so many crashes with betas, let alone RC).
So, welcome back Uncle and Good Luck! - nothing is unfixable, it's just a browser (hehe, the spellchecker tells me i can't say 'unfixable' but should use ... 'unfix able' :roll: ).
Uncle Spellbinder

Saved my current profile to external drive. Thought I'd try updating from 3.0.11 to 3.5RC2 the dirty way, install over current install. Worked perfectly. Only a couple extensions were broke and my passwords are just fine.
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

I had no problems getting the passwords from a Firefox 3 profile into Firefox 3.5

I removed key3.db and signons.sqlite from a Firefox 3.5 profile, then copied key3.db and signon3.txt from a Firefox 3 profile, restarted Firefox 3.5 and it converted the signons3.txt into signons.sqlite format with all of the passwords intact.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

It will only work if you have matching key3.db and signons3.txt files. As soon as you change the master password then key3.db changes and you can no longer access names and passwords in an other signons3.txt file, even if you would change the MP back to the old value.
makondo

Post by makondo »

Good for you! Mine lost all passwords in 2 profiles! As i said, not my first day and not the first beta but IS the first beta to do this. Apparently, i'm not alone. I'd say it's a bug and a nasty one, just wait for the final release and read the outcries here.

EDIT: sorry, dickvl, didn't reload before posting. My post is ion response to Quarantine. BTW, i don't have a mp. It just lost all passwords on a simple replacement of all those files - something i've done many times before w/out any problems.