Cookies *are* delicious delicacies, dammit!

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Greg K Nicholson

Cookies *are* delicious delicacies, dammit!

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

http://www.squarefree.com/archives/000520.html

The great thing about Firefox is that we don't have to stand for this sort of nonsense - is anybody up for making an extension that reinstates the proper description? :)
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

:-D
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

This is the result of a new entry in en-US.jar by the sound of it. Here's a slightly older version of en-US.jar [link].

How to install:

Close Firefox.

Open your Firefox folder.

If you're not sure how, try this:

Click Start.

Click Run.

"%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Firefox\chrome"

If that yields nothing try...

"%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome"

If that yields nothing, let me know.

Now, see the en-US.jar? Rename it to en-US.old. Drop in the file I've provided above. Start Firefox.

If you have any difficulties, delete en-US.jar and rename old back to jar.
Greg K Nicholson

Rowne Mastaile wrote:This is the result of a new entry in en-US.jar by the sound of it.

Yes. I've done some digging, and the relevant file is Mozilla Firefox\chrome\en-US.jar\locale\browser\pref\pref-privacy.dtd
I opened that up using 7-zip and Notepad, searched for "cookies" and altered the appropriate chunk of text.

Unfortunately, next time I upgrade Firefox (i.e. next time there's a nightly or anything new that's of interest) that change will be gone. If only I knew how to make a simple extension like this... :)
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

This is true... you could ask one of the custom builders to include this change. Aside from that, I tried. I just simply don't know how to do it without overlaying that chunk of the options interface and there has to be a better way than that...

I just don't know it. Someone will.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

It would also be simple enough to create a script that extracted the file, replaced the text, added the file back... then it would be one less extension loading... etc.
Rowne Mastaile

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

That's actually a very good idea. The question is though; how would I snag the Firefox directory? I suppose I could put in a configurable SET def then package the thing up with the (complete) 7z command-line package.

I could make an XPI of this, couldn't I? I could put the 7z files and the batch under a subdirectory in components then I'd just have to ..\..? I think I'll try that.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

This is a bug which was fixed just recently.
Greg K Nicholson

sasquatch wrote:This is a bug which was fixed just recently.
I know - it should be unfixed immediately :P
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Huh?
Greg K Nicholson

sasquatch wrote:Huh?
It'd be "fun" if there was an extension to reinstate the description "Cookies are delicious delicacies.".
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Why?

I can't believe something like that would be there in the first place. It makes the "product" seem less professional. I can't imagine some IT person bringing this to their boss with that in the code. :er:
Greg K Nicholson

sasquatch wrote:Why?
'Cos it'd be... fun.
sasquatch wrote:I can't believe something like that would be there in the first place. It makes the "product" seem less professional.
...but more fun.
sasquatch wrote:I can't imagine some IT person bringing this to their boss with that in the code. :er:
They needn't install such an extension then.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Let Firesomething handle this! :p It could become the TBE (one size fits all) for people who want utlimate control over browser wackiness. :p
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
Greg K Nicholson

johnleemk wrote:Let Firesomething handle this! :p It could become the TBE (one size fits all) for people who want utlimate control over browser wackiness. :p
Yeah - I'm up for that. I actually tried mercilessly hacking Firesomething, but my unlearnèd "I wonder what this big, red button does" approach yielded nothing.