Why does Java take so long to load?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Why does Java take so long to load?

Post by Guest »

I mean look at IE - almost instantly; in Firefox, first, the Java machine has to be loaded - why can't it be like IE?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Firefox is not IE (thank goodness!).

Have you configured the Java Plugin to cache applets so they don't take so long to load on subsequent visits to webpages that contain them?

The Java Plugin controls are located in your control panel.

Post by Guest »

But why isn't Java embeded within Firefox, even if a cache of all the Java applets is held, the Java machine will still load slow.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

The Java runtime takes a while to load since there's a LOT of data (DLLs, etc) that needs to load and then initialize, etc. Once the JRE (Java plugin) has been loaded, subsequent loads of Java applets should be faster as the JRE itself doesn't have to load.

Firefox shouldn't have those kinds of plugins embedded (in my opinion) as not every user will have a need for them. Avoiding "bloat" is something the Firefox developers are wanting to do so Firefox will remain a lean and mean browsing machine! :)

Peace...

Post by Guest »

So you say IE loads Java when Windows boots?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

How long does it take the JRE to load, two seconds, three? If it takes much longer than that, I would say something is wrong with your JRE installation. What version of JRE are you using?

I have no idea how IE handles its' virtual machine, but I know most of IE is loaded into memory when Windows starts. That's why it springs to life so quickly when you click its' icon, but I would rather use Gecko based browsers any day.

Post by Guest »

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

Java Runtime Environment 1.4.2_05

Post by Guest »

It takes me like 20 sec to load.

Post by Guest »

Oh and i have Windows 98, P3 450 mgz, 64 mb ram, 32 mb v card, 8 gig hard drive.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

I'm using the same version JRE and it takes nowhere near that long to load on my system; 1.1GHZ Athlon, 512MB pc133 SDRAM, WinME.

Did you uninstall any old versions before installing the JRE? I always do and I always use the offline installer.

Post by Guest »

Yes, maybe my prob is in my 4 and hald year old comp.

Post by Guest »

up
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Close Firefox and put this in your user.js file:

// Specify the amount of memory cache in kilobytes:
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096);

Firefox Help: Editing Configuration Files

Download and install Cacheman:

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_cha ... oduct&id=2

Load one of the profiles meant for older slower computers, but do not run Cacheman in the background or at startup (options within Cacheman's GUI); the settings are in effect when Cacheman is not running (do not enable conservative swapfile usage!).

Your pc barely meets minimum requirements (RAM) for Firefox.

Mozilla Firefox - System Requirements
Last edited by LeRoi on July 27th, 2004, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

LeRoi, how will adjust the browser cache settings make the JRE load any faster on his machine?

Peace...
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Anonymous wrote:So you say IE loads Java when Windows boots?
I'm not necesarily saying that but if IE is using the MS VM, it will probably load much faster than Sun's JRE.

Peace...