Firefox won't start in XP other users, only 4 admin account

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CivilDude

Firefox won't start in XP other users, only 4 admin account

Post by CivilDude »

Installed Firefox on an XP Pro system a few nights ago. Everything runs great and I really like the tabbed interface.

Wife logged into her account that is a standard (non-admin) account. Firefox only runs in Safe mode. Tried the
suggestions in the forum "Firefox won't start" section like deleting the profiles folder, cache, etc. Still no success.

Elevated her account to an admin level and now it runs fine in regular mode. Problem is kids sometimes use her
account and I don't want them having admin rights.

Any other suggestions as to what is going on here ?
GUEST :)

Post by GUEST :) »

could this be your problem?
" If Firefox 0.9 is placed in a location with limited access privileges, it should be run by a user with access to that location first, so that all initial startup files are generated. There may be issues still where if a restricted-access user is the first to run the app, these files may not be generated properly and Firefox may enter an infinite restart loop. This will be fixed in a future release."
Walter, guest

Post by Walter, guest »

There should be no problem. On the contrary. When an admin has installed all that uses the program folder, you can't have a better protection for your system.
Your kids are able to install extensions and themes in their profile folder, but not in program folder. In that case an admin must do it.
So you are protected from most virus activity.
CivilDude

Post by CivilDude »

Thanks for the info, Guess I will try to delete, reinstall and start Firefox the first time with non-admin account.
If it doesn't work will just leave all accounts at admin level. (Thanks MS for all the options)

Was just interested if this was a known problem or just my system. XP's been out, for what 2 years, thought it
was odd that this would be an issue. Of course the more I learn about MS the more I want to keep using my
Linux system.

If only Autodesk would port AutoCad to Linux, I would scrap windows and never go back. But my company
is hopelessly locked into Autocad.
T3chDad®

Post by T3chDad® »

Copy the FF profile directory structure from your account to your wife's account. i.e. copy C:\Documents and Settings\Your Account\Application Data\Mozilla to C:\Documents and Settings\Her Account\Application Data\Mozilla

Correct all the hard-coded paths in her CHROME.RDF file located in C:\Documents and Settings\Her Account\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.XXX\chrome\chrome.rdf.

You should be good to go. This will work for any other account on the system. More detail on this can be found in the deployment guide in the knolege base.

Post by Guest »

For security reasons there should only be one admin account used only for the purpose of maintainance, repair, or other neccessary purposes. The main user accounts should be set as 'PowerUsers', which has more priveledges than regular 'user' account. Firefox can even be installed at that level.
CivilDude

Post by CivilDude »

Thanks PrincessDie, That did the trick. Was able to resent user account level lower than administrator and run FF.
d00gs

Post by d00gs »

For security reasons there should only be one admin account used only for the purpose of maintainance, repair, or other neccessary purposes. The main user accounts should be set as 'PowerUsers', which has more priveledges than regular 'user' account. Firefox can even be installed at that level.

He's talking about Windows.
The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up.