Firefox won't open most yahoo.com sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
slaroy

Firefox won't open most yahoo.com sites

Post by slaroy »

Whenever I go to http://mail.yahoo.com from a blank page, the page doesn't load. Instead, Mozilla stops and the page remains blank. (If I go from another site, the original page stays loaded, even though the address bar says mail.yahoo.com.) If I go to the secure (https) version of the login page, the welcome page loads properly. However, once I enter my user name and password, the page stops loading again once it tries to leave the secure domain.

The same non-loading behaviour happens at other yahoo pages (yahoo.com, finance.yahoo.com, etc.) but not yahoo.ca!

Why won't my browser load most yahoo sites, but allow the Canadian site to load? What's the difference in these pages?

The same problem occurs when I use Mozilla 1.7

I can access all the yahoo pages using IE on the same net connection. I connect using a proxy.

Configuration info:
WinXP Pro with all the latest updates
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040707 Firefox/0.9.2
mdembski

Post by mdembski »

If you are doing this from an office you might want to check to see if they have yahoo blocked. This is what they do at my office.
slaroy

Post by slaroy »

mdembski wrote:If you are doing this from an office you might want to check to see if they have yahoo blocked. This is what they do at my office.
They don't have it blocked since I can access those sites using Internet Explorer.
angelsong

Post by angelsong »

This may be a java problem. I also had difficulty, and this is what I did:

go to IE, and disable java there in Internet Options...advanced
uninstall all java on your hard drive with control panel...add/remove software
uninstall FF, and delete all folders and files from the application data path

reinstall FF
install Java from Sun page; I used the 1.5 beta version
in FF, under Tools...Options....Web Features....click the checkboxes to enable Java and enable Javascript, and in the text box below where it says " always allow the sites below to use pop up windows", enter yahoo.com, preceded by www. .
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12
<a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/YahooFFX/petition.html">Get Yahoo! to Support Firefox Petition</a>
Firefox ROCKS! ~~AngelSong~~
tomdkat

Re: Firefox won't open most yahoo.com sites

Post by tomdkat »

slaroy wrote:Whenever I go to http://mail.yahoo.com from a blank page, the page doesn't load. Instead, Mozilla stops and the page remains blank.
You mean you don't even get the login fields displayed or anything? I just accessed the above URL just fine using FF 0.9.2 on Windows 2000.

Try starting FF in "Safe Mode" and see if it works that way. There should be a "Safe Mode" icon in the program group for FF.

Peace...
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Never had a problem with any Yahoo sites I visit.

Create another profile; close Firefox>start>click run>browse to Firefox.exe (usually C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe)>click open>click once at the end of the path to unhighlight it>add (after the quotation marks) a space and -p (or -profilemanager if -p doesn't work)>click okay>you should now see the profile manager>create profile, name it something different than the original one and start Firefox; see if the problem exists in this new profile.
slaroy

Re: Firefox won't open most yahoo.com sites

Post by slaroy »

Creating a new profile and starting in safe mode did not work. I'll try removing java, but that will take a bit of time.

tomdkat wrote:
slaroy wrote:Whenever I go to http://mail.yahoo.com from a blank page, the page doesn't load. Instead, Mozilla stops and the page remains blank.
You mean you don't even get the login fields displayed or anything? I just accessed the above URL just fine using FF 0.9.2 on Windows 2000.

That's right. However, I do get a login if I go to the secure site, https://mail.yahoo.com. Then, after entering my credentials, it doesn't load the next page, just like before.

Post by Guest »

What are your cookie settings? Also do you have any adblocking extensions, or external adblocking programs? I had some trouble getting my Yahoo homepage to display properly, they load alot of external images etc, and I had to allow them through Adblock. I did not however have the degree of difficulty you seem to be having. The Java question is worth pursuing, however the method described avove is a little extreme. First type about:plugins into your address bar and hit enter. You should see several Java listings (I have 7) there are various dlls, make sure the version is Java Plug-in 1.4.2_05 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper) and that they are enabled. If not, then you need either to update Java, or go to your Java console and enable it for the Mozilla browser (It will give you an error and tell you it can't, but it will work anyway)
All that said, how are you connected to the internet? I have a friend who everything works fine connected directly to DSL, but when connected through his router cannot open any yahoo mail folders (inbox etc.) or use windows update, even through IE. Does IE work to connect to these sites for you? If not the problem lies elsewhere than FF.
:)

Post by Guest »

I connect through a proxy at work.

All cookies from Yahoo.com are allowed.

Yes, these sites work just fine in IE.

I doubt that Java has anything to do with it, but I'll give it a try.

Post by Guest »

Although my about:plugins page now shows the latest plugins (1.4.2_05 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)), the yahoo site still behaves the same as before.

On an interesting, but probably unrelated side note, an old version of Java (1.4.0) is still installed on my system, and I can't seem to uninstall it from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs. Could that be interfering somehow, even though I have it disabled in the control panel?
slaroy

Post by slaroy »

Ooops... seems I didn't log in. The last two posts are mine.

Post by Guest »

I don't think the problem is related to Yahoo...I get the same thing with various websites (Google, Hotmail, etc.) on an intermittent basis. I'd close all browser windows then re-open sites and it worked.

I have Sun's Java loaded and MS' Java removed. I wonder if the Java loaded by Netscape was interfering...I've since made Firefox my default browser and the problem's vanished. Go figure.

On another note (and pardon the off-topic question), how does one unload Java from being a TSR when not needed? It doesn't show in any process viewer tool that I've used (Process Explorer, Magic Tweak, Windows' Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc.).

Thanks
Guest78

Pages won't load

Post by Guest78 »

I don't think the problem is related to Yahoo...I got the same thing with various websites (Google, Hotmail, etc.) on an intermittent basis. I'd close all browser windows then re-open sites and it worked.

I have Sun's Java loaded and MS' Java removed. I wonder if the Java loaded by Netscape was interfering...I've since made Firefox my default browser and the problem's vanished. Go figure.

On another note (and pardon the off-topic question), how does one unload Java from being a TSR when not needed? It doesn't show in any process viewer tool that I've used (Process Explorer, Magic Tweak's, Windows' Ctrl-Alt-Del, etc.).

Thanks
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

probably a buggy proxy server...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1

Post by Guest »

Why would the proxy work for MSIE and not for Mozilla 1.7 or Firefox? That doesn't make any sense.

Here's another interesting data point. If I go to https://login.yahoo.com, it lets me log on to the yahoo "Front Page" portal, which is still a secure site. When I click on the mail link at that page, the browser chokes the same as before when leaving the secure site for the non-secure mail site.

Is it possible that Mozilla does something non-standard in that transfer process at the yahoo domain that my proxy server doesn't like?