User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PkrBkr

Importing gmail and hotmail contacts to Thunderbird

Post by PkrBkr »

Is there anyways to do this?

Ricky
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

With a bit of work, yes. Neither webmail system (Gmail or Hotmail) stores the contact data on your local system. That means you must first export the data from the webmail system to a file on the local hard drive. Exporting the data to a CSV format file will usually work.

After that, you can import the CSV format files to Thunderbird's address book by using menu path Tools->Address Book->Tools->Import->Address books->Text File.... The import will create a new address book in the left hand pane.

If the initial import attempt fails, you may have to edit the CSV format file in a spreadsheet to rearrange the order of columns. You can learn what order Thunderbird requires by manually creating a record in the Thunderbird Address Book and then exporting that data to a CSV format file. Open that in the spreadsheet program to understand Thunderbird's requirements.
PkrBkr

Post by PkrBkr »

Let me try and see what happens. Thanks
PkrBkr

Post by PkrBkr »

I got the contacts BUT only the envelopes show. Not the names so I really don't know who it is. Guess I'll have to try your second step.. (ugh ....)
bkennelly

Post by bkennelly »

Thunderbird can rearrange the order for you:

During the import process, you should have gotten a dialogue with a list of Thunderbird address book fields on the left, and the CSV fields on the right. There are controls there to move the fields in the left column up and down until they line up correctly with the right column. You can even step through a few records to check on them.
new thunderbird user

Re: Importing gmail and hotmail contacts to Thunderbird

Post by new thunderbird user »

RE: "If the initial import attempt fails, you may have to edit the CSV format file in a spreadsheet to rearrange the order of columns. You can learn what order Thunderbird requires by manually creating a record in the Thunderbird Address Book and then exporting that data to a CSV format file. Open that in the spreadsheet program to understand Thunderbird's requirements."

GREAT TIP!!!!! :lol:
DanRaisch

Re: Importing gmail and hotmail contacts to Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad it was helpful. Locking this thread due to the age of the original posts.