Lost Norton toolbar with Firefox 3.5

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
catmandu999999

Lost Norton toolbar with Firefox 3.5

Post by catmandu999999 »

Hello Forum,

Lost the Norton toolbar which had my secure logins and phishing controls. How do I get them back, or are they gone for good. I enabled the Firefox fraudulent website protection so nothing lost there, and Norton still cleans up my firefox browsing history, but the toolbars are gone from 3.5.

Thanks for any help,

cat
catmandu9999999

Re: Lost Norton toolbar with Firefox 3.5

Post by catmandu9999999 »

I just read the Symantec help forum and a fix is to arrive via Norton live update or something like that. ETA is anytime
, but the important thing is Symantec is aware of this and is in the process of fixing it. Security I assume is not compromised, and the problem according to what I read is going to be fixed soon.
gordyboy

Post by gordyboy »

i hope it is soon i miss my norton toolbar for logging in and controls
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

catmandu9999999 wrote:Security I assume is not compromised...

Anytime you use a Norton product your security is compromised. :mrgreen: There are better products out there and many don't cost a dime.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Have a look at this post from the Norton Community forum.
There will be a fix for this before too long. You could go back to Firefox 3.0.11 if you really need the Toolbar but I'm just going to wait for the fix.

[quote=Dartman]Anytime you use a Norton product your security is compromised.[/quote]
Is that so? Well my security's been compromised for over 6 years then. It must be sheer luck that I've never had a virus, Trojan or any serious malware on my PC, just low risk stuff like tracking cookies mostly.
I daresay there are better products out there, possibly even some free ones, but I don't know as I've always been happy with Norton. Sometimes I do on-line scans with other programs and they don't find anything either.
There are many very good reviews around from reputable sources for the current Norton products such as Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360.
I realise that some people will have had problems with Norton, but I never have and I've read plenty of scare stories here and elsewhere about their programs.
I can only speak as I find and to my mind, NIS is an excellent program. I doubt if there are many, if any, programs out there which haven't caused grief, possibly serious, to some people. Old prejudices die hard too.

Edit: When I checked the link I gave above, I found that there had been an update to it. Apparently the fix will be available on 15th July.
The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.
- Charles Bukowski
Wallybobsix

Post by Wallybobsix »

Dear moderator, there are many internet browsers out there, all of them free. The best are compatable with Norton.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Madeline,

You've been around these forums enough to know that Norton/Symantec causes a number of problems. I used NIS for years, but dropped it a few years ago. There's no sense paying for something when one can use free programs that do the same (or better) job.
Wallybobsix wrote:Dear moderator, there are many internet browsers out there, all of them free. The best are compatable with Norton.

I never said anything about Firefox not being compatible with Norton. I said there are better products out there that do a better job. And in case you didn't notice, the problem is the Norton toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 3.5. NOT Firefox 3.5 is not compatible with Norton. There is a difference.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Hi Dartman,

I agree with you that Norton/Symantec programs can and do cause problems, but this has never been the case for me. Maybe it will be one day, but unless or until it is, I'll carry on using it.
The only reason I even replied to your post was that you seemed to be stating that people's security will be compromised should they choose to use a Norton/Symantec product. I disagree with you and I think you would be hard put to prove such a statement.
The whole point about forums is that they exist mostly to help people with all kinds of computer problems, so you can't really extrapolate from this, or any other forum, that a particular program always causes problems and/or fails to do what it claims to do. The only exceptions to this are the forums which are dedicated to a troubleshooting a specific program or application.
The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.
- Charles Bukowski
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

Hi Madeline.

My comment was suppose to be a cross between a serious legitimate response and a funny one as shown by the green smiley. However, I have had an issue where Norton hasn't caught things, and even Daifne states her customers have problems with Norton. Users of Norton may experience varying results.

As I stated above however, I don't see the point of using a paid program when free ones do just as good, generally speaking.
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Hi Dartman,

Y'know, on reading my previous posts on this thread, although I stand by what I said, it's clear that I was suffering from a sense of humour by-pass on both occasions. Hopefully this was a temporary situation!

If I'd had problems with Norton, it would no longer be on my PC. On the whole, I agree with you about not paying for stuff if you can get an equivalent program/application free. NIS is the only thing I pay for.

Apologies for being a humourless whatsit before! :oops:
- Charles Bukowski
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

No problem Madeline. :-D
Madeline

Post by Madeline »

Thanks! :)
- Charles Bukowski
nobody888

Post by nobody888 »

Dartman said: "I used NIS for years, but dropped it a few years ago." - then please stop pretending to be an expert on NIS. You are ignorantly misleading people. It's not cool to jump into every security discussion and snipe at Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security, etc. Even though you are a moderator you are behaving like a troll.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Dartman wrote:
Wallybobsix wrote:Dear moderator, there are many internet browsers out there, all of them free. The best are compatable with Norton.

I never said anything about Firefox not being compatible with Norton. I said there are better products out there that do a better job. And in case you didn't notice, the problem is the Norton toolbar is not compatible with Firefox 3.5. NOT Firefox 3.5 is not compatible with Norton. There is a difference.

Exactly. It's up to Norton to make the toolbar compatible with Firefox 3.5, not the other way around.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Get the Norton 360 Toolbar hotfix for Firefox 3.5 here:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/ ... cted_nav=5

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.