[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ameboide

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by ameboide »

hi, i remember using this on firefox 1.x, and i remember you could use the "launch" button to re-download erased files. it was a pretty useful feature, i don't know why it eventually disappeared. can it be brought back in some future version? (i currently added a little button that simply does a "window.location = ...getAttribute('uri');", but it's quite ugly and doesn't always work right :P )
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

ameboide wrote:hi, i remember using this on firefox 1.x, and i remember you could use the "launch" button to re-download erased files. it was a pretty useful feature, i don't know why it eventually disappeared. can it be brought back in some future version? (i currently added a little button that simply does a "window.location = ...getAttribute('uri');", but it's quite ugly and doesn't always work right :P )

It wasn't launch, it was called download. It used the built in retry command. In 3.0 that command changed so that it only works for downloads that failed or were canceled. I took it out because it seemed pointless to have a button that is almost never worked. It would also have a button in the download item in the cases were it would work.

Another factor was that there is limited space for buttons. In the tab view there is more room, but sidebar and window are more limited. Removing a button I never used to make room for one I use all the time seemed a good idea. What would do, if I needed to, is to right click the item, select "Copy Download Link" from the menu, and then paste the link in the location toolbar. If I can figure out how to re-download a file that wasn't canceled then I suppose a download button, that is disabled by default and can be enabled by those who want, would be reasonable. Maybe replacing the Delete File button with the Download button instead of disabling the Delete File button would be better (the two would never be enabled at the same time anyway).

As a side note: Yes, I do feel the imminent release of 3.5 breathing down my neck. Yes, I need to get less lazy. Yes, I've forgotten what bugs I have left to work on (they are written down, but seem very cryptic right now, like what kind of bug is "tab icon"?).
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
ameboide

Post by ameboide »

squashr1979 wrote:
ameboide wrote:hi, i remember using this on firefox 1.x, and i remember you could use the "launch" button to re-download erased files. it was a pretty useful feature, i don't know why it eventually disappeared. can it be brought back in some future version? (i currently added a little button that simply does a "window.location = ...getAttribute('uri');", but it's quite ugly and doesn't always work right :P )

It wasn't launch, it was called download. It used the built in retry command. In 3.0 that command changed so that it only works for downloads that failed or were canceled. I took it out because it seemed pointless to have a button that is almost never worked. It would also have a button in the download item in the cases were it would work.

Another factor was that there is limited space for buttons. In the tab view there is more room, but sidebar and window are more limited. Removing a button I never used to make room for one I use all the time seemed a good idea. What would do, if I needed to, is to right click the item, select "Copy Download Link" from the menu, and then paste the link in the location toolbar. If I can figure out how to re-download a file that wasn't canceled then I suppose a download button, that is disabled by default and can be enabled by those who want, would be reasonable. Maybe replacing the Delete File button with the Download button instead of disabling the Delete File button would be better (the two would never be enabled at the same time anyway).

As a side note: Yes, I do feel the imminent release of 3.5 breathing down my neck. Yes, I need to get less lazy. Yes, I've forgotten what bugs I have left to work on (they are written down, but seem very cryptic right now, like what kind of bug is "tab icon"?).

i think it would be more logic for this button to replace the launch button, as it's a similar functionality and would be disabled in the same scenarios than the delete button...
"window.location = gDownloadsView.selectedItem.getAttribute('uri');" works fine most of the time (it's the same than copy-pasting the download link, so it works under the same circumstances), except with some dynamic-page-or-login-needed downloads, where it opens the webpage in the downloads window. i don't think there's a way to download those troublesome files, but i guess you'd want to find a way of not displaying the page (or displaying it in the main window)
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

As you can see, I have released 0.8.3. It fixes all the bugs I know about and adds a couple features. I have submitted it to AMO (addons.mozilla.org) where it is in their review process. I don't know how long that will take, but given that it was early Sunday/late Saturday when I submitted it, I don't expect anything for a couple days.

As far as Firefix 3.5 goes, I got the source code for 3.5.b99 and there are very few changes to the download manager. There is some support for private browsing mode, but I don't think that it affects DMT. There is a small change to downloads.xul, where the search bar changed from an hbox to a windowdragbox, which concerns me a lot. Either DMT will work with only the .rdf changing or I will have to make a 3.5 specific DMT. When they finally put out a release candidate, I'll try it out.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Installed Firefox 3.5.rc1 and DMT just worked. The change I was worrying about wasn't a problem. I did have a small visual problem in the options popup but it was easily fixed. This means that DMT is ready before a new Firefox is released, instead of a year or so later :roll:. It's probably the first time DMT has ever beaten a Firefox release :).

AMO never finished reviewing 0.8.3 and now they have 0.8.4. I don't know if they will approve them both or just 0.8.4. I don't actually care which, as long as something is approved. I did some checking and they do a much more in depth testing and review than I thought. Combined with the extra work due to extensions supporting 3.5, I'm not surprised that my two day guess was a little off #-o.
ameboide

Post by ameboide »

just updated to 0.8.4, great work ;)
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

AMO finally released DMT publicly. They just released 0.8.4 and not 0.8.3, which is fine. I remotely logged into my PC at work, which I had left at 0.8.2 on purpose, and a check for updates automatically upgraded it to 0.8.4. It seems that DMT is an official extension again 8-) .

According to AMO statistics there are around 6000 users of 0.8.x, but nearly 80000 users of Firefox 3.0.x with DMT installed (mostly with a disabled 0.7.2). I expect users of 0.8.4 will jump towards 80000 over the next few days, as they are auto-upgraded.
elarifr

Post by elarifr »

hi.
thanks to revive this project. it was my first addon added in ff and even in 0.7.2 it was still usefull :)

the missing feature i woul like to see are
- a check box so that we can select which multi links to delete in the history listing (instead use CTRL)
- an option to auto create create an url link with downloaded file in same dir and same name.url even if this is more a feature to ad in the scope of the "save" menu
- add some "sorting" option in the history (by name, by date, by url...)
- and highlighting in red files that are no more accessible in the history (deleted, name changed.....)

even if none of this can be added, it's nice to see dm tweak alive
thanks squashr1979

elarifr - http://accedinfo.com
Jim too

Post by Jim too »

An excellent extension, I wouldn't want to do without its functionality.
I forced compatibility with a trunk build and functionality seems to all be working. Formatting of the window or tab however is broken (side bar formatting appears to be OK). The infobar and/or toolbar are next to the file list rather than at either the top or the bottom. I realize that keeping an extension working on trunk builds is a "constantly shifting sands" problem so consider this an FYI rather than a request for an fix.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

Thank you very much for your work on this. I'm using this extension for a very long time and was one of these many guys, with a disabled 0.7.x install. ;)

This Extension is really essential for me. So thanks and keep on your good work.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I've been working on DMT 0.8.5. It's almost done, mostly I need to spend some more time testing. The big change is I added buttons into the list of downloads. This is something that 0.7.2 had but I removed from 0.8.*, because it didn't work in Firefox 3.0. Canceled, Failed, and Completed downloads have a Remove From List button. Completed downloads also have Open Folder (if the folder exists) and either Delete File or Download (depending on whether the files still exists or has been deleted). As a side effect I made new button icons, because the big round color ones didn't match the new ones I added (which are already used in the toolbar).

Of the four requests that elarifr made, this fixes 1 and 4, if not exactly in the way requested. Request 3 can't really be done because the ordering is controlled by the download manager and there really isn't a way that DMT can change it. I don't understand what request 2 was for :-k .

I downloaded the source for latest Firefox trunk build and the download manager hasn't really changed. Only some small detail related to drag and drop. I can only hope the drawing problems are a Firefox bug that will be fixed. I don't plan on doing anything until there is at least a beta release.

As an aside, I do check this forum and the mail list every day. Just because I don't always answer doesn't mean I'm ignoring anyone. It would be nice if three people added reviews of DMT at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/256 to move Fur Q's off of the main page. He seems to be a troll of some sort, all his reviews are bad (his listed homepage kind of explains why :roll: ) and the three stars he gives DMT is the highest he has ever given.
LAMj

Post by LAMj »

I want to report this dialog box when you hotkey ctrl+j on the download tab,
It shouldn't be there, and when I click 'save and quit' it closes the download tab, which I think it should do automatically w/out that dialog box. I'm still on ff3.0.
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

LAMj wrote:I want to report this dialog box when you hotkey ctrl+j on the download tab, <<clipped picture>> It shouldn't be there, and when I click 'save and quit' it closes the download tab, which I think it should do automatically w/out that dialog box. I'm still on ff3.0.

I just tried that on my PC at work, which still runs FF 3.0, and it worked fine, without any dialog box. Do you have any non-default options selected? I tried a few combinations of options and it still worked. Do you maybe have a theme or other extension installed that is affecting it somehow? Does the download tab come up you when hit cntl-j or is it only the tab closing that is broken?
LAMj

Post by LAMj »

I had a dozen extensions on my laptop so I though it's b/c of that, but I installed DMT on my othe laptop w/a clean ff3 and same problem happens. If anyone else can confirm it?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

I tried it on my PC at home with FF 3.5 and it happened :). After some research, I now know why it happens, which confuses me because it should happen for everyone. Why my PC at work doesn't do it is a mystery :?. I haven't got it fixed yet, but my experimenting implies that it can be fixed.