Firefox 3.5

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Whatsmyname

Firefox 3.5

Post by Whatsmyname »

I just upgraded to Firefox 3.5. The first thing that I noticed, beside the slow startup, was a message telling me that Firefox 3.5 is no longer compatible with Norton toolbar, IPS, etc. If this is true, and since I rely pretty extensively on Norton to protect my computer, and to protect my kids from going onto web sites they should not be on, I need to uninstall this product.

How do I obtain an older version of Firefox that is compatible with all of Norton Internet security products?
Serty

Re: Firefox 3.5

Post by Serty »

About Firefox being compatible with Norton, I don't know about that. But to go back to a previous version, go to: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Or wait, apparently Symantec are going to update the toolbar
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Or replace Norton with something that actually works...
Whatsmyname

Post by Whatsmyname »

Thanks to all of you for the advise, although some of it was a bit on the philosophical. Any additional advise is also appreciated.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Daifne's comment was from "hard" experience and knowledge of systems....that's her profession. I used Norton for many, many years and from interacting with her and other people on this board I was convinced that a change was needed. I deleted Norton and installed the free AV Avast and my system now runs much faster and I've not had one piece of junk enter my system...I also stopped using Windows firewall and installed Comodo.

You might also want to read this...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1326475

Otherwise the link to older versions was given obove.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Whatsmyname

Post by Whatsmyname »

Again, thanks for all of the response. I've decided to keep Firefox 3.5 for now (most people I talk to indicate that the browser itself is very secure compared to explorer). I will check with Symantec to see if they will be updating for Firefox 3.5.

Concerning Norton, I hear varied opinions from various computer tech people (wide range of responses from the experts); some say that current versions are the best protection on the market today, others hate Norton. One person with a degree in internet security who used to work for Norton hates Norton, but he may have his own personal reasons. At any rate, I've not experience problems with Norton. I preface this comment with - I haven't tried many others either (only McGaffe). I might experiment down the line, but for now I hate to remove something that seems to be working - and that I've already paid hard earned cash for.

Again, thanks,
togej

Post by togej »

Slow startup can often be fixed by emptying the Temp folder and the Internet Explorer cache. Norton will eventually release an update, Firefox has around 20% market share, that is too many of their customers not to support.

Post by Guest »

Yes, Daifne (moderator), you are right. Norton can certainly be replaced! I had a bad experience with that software in trying to uninstall it. I found that it would not uninstall properly and have heard many other horror stories about that as well from others. So, I will not use the Norton products again! I'm sure there are much better products in the market out there that have a truly secure way of uninstalling them and making sure there are no conflicts with Firefox.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Guest wrote:Yes, Daifne (moderator), you are right. Norton can certainly be replaced! I had a bad experience with that software in trying to uninstall it. I found that it would not uninstall properly and have heard many other horror stories about that as well from others. So, I will not use the Norton products again! I'm sure there are much better products in the market out there that have a truly secure way of uninstalling them and making sure there are no conflicts with Firefox.

FYI...
In past posts here it was stated that a user should use the Norton "uninstall" procedure to clear out all Norton...it worked for me in the past. Note versions on web page.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/ts ... 3108162039
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!