[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mistaknly

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Post by mistaknly »

Great extension Twanno!

I would like to make a feature request. I use Opera 9.27 for research because of its detach tab feature.
9.27 detach tab, allows you to detach the tab without the menu bar, side bar and any other toobars you don't want to see. This behavior repeats until you reset any of the options. Also, when you restore the window down, it repeats what you have set previously. In effect, it allows you to create your own "pop-up" style windows for reading docs, help, videos, music, etc without have to have all the overhead of the current "view" settings and all your extra extensions (Firebug, All-in-One Sidebar...etc, etc).

However, with Opera 9.5 and beyond, Opera has seen fit to make the extension work the way your FF extension works now, which is not really to "detach" the tab but to open it in a new window. That's ok if that's what you want but it doesn't give me control over the system. What happens in Opera and in FF is that (you can't get rid of the menu bar) any changes you make propagate back to the next session. I don't want to spend a lot of time setting and resetting the view options and then get them screwed up. This is such an issue with Opera, that a lot of users, including a lot of members of the press (European and US) have elected to abandon Opera after a number of years since they refuse to reinstate this feature. (Even after hundreds of posts and articles about it...)

I've even started to look at the xul programming to see if I could do it in FF3, but I just don't have any experience, as in zero, newb, etc. It does look like you can open a "window.open" or open a browser without all the "bars" but like I said, I just don't know how to proceed after trying the tutorials. I really flunked out. I just don't know xul and Java.

I wouldn't mind working on this if I got pointed in the right direction. But, since it is really an integral part of what duplicate tab does, would you consider adding this feature?

It just seems ludicrous that web sites can open clean popup windows but you as a user can't...

Thanks, Mis

PS, is there a way to post a screenshot? I sww the Img thing but don't know how to use it.
BUFFBOY

Post by BUFFBOY »

detaching and merging windows causes the pages to refresh.....is it posible to detach windows without reloading the page?????????????
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

BUFFBOY wrote:detaching and merging windows causes the pages to refresh.....is it posible to detach windows without reloading the page?????????????
Firefox 3.1.a2 will support this.

Phil
BUFFBOY

Post by BUFFBOY »

Philip Chee wrote:
BUFFBOY wrote:detaching and merging windows causes the pages to refresh.....is it posible to detach windows without reloading the page?????????????

Phil

thanks but i use firefox portable ... is this availible ????
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

BUFFBOY wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:
thanks but i use firefox portable ... is this availible ????
I don't know. Why don't you ask the Portable Apps people?

Phil
BUFFBOY

Post by BUFFBOY »

you guys are smart enough to know ,,.. :)
steviex

Post by steviex »

Firefox Portable is Firefox that has been configured to run from a USB Drive by a Third Party, John Haller, and has some differences from the Official version due to the optimising for running in this fashion.

Which version of Firefox Portable are you using ?? Go to Help > About Mozilla Firefox and copy and paste the text you find there....

Issues surrounding that version of Firefox, and any impact that the reconfiguring would have on what you experience, are better answered in their forum. http://portableapps.com/forums

We are just fellow users, like yourself... We tend to deal with the Official versions of Firefox here, as Third party alterations may have unforeseen issues, caused by the alterations....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
veka

Post by veka »

It's a valid release. That's the disadvantage of waiting for when the extension is approved on official site with updating the information about the update
tecktron

Post by tecktron »

Love this extension. Any word on an update for FF 3.5?
Dave Rado

Post by Dave Rado »

I have recently upgraded to FF 3.5 and was very disappointed that as a result of doing so, I have now lost the ability to duplicate tabs, which I had previously used many times every day. Like tecktron I am desperate to have some idea how long it's likely to be before there will be a version of the add-on that works with 3.5. Would be extremely grateful for any indication.
therube

Post by therube »

You can experiment yourself using extensions.checkCompatibility or MR Tech's Toolkit.

PS: I believe FF now has some features of Duplicate Tab built-in.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
JonSchneider

Post by JonSchneider »

therube wrote:PS: I believe FF now has some features of Duplicate Tab built-in.

therube, can you elaborate?

Also, a "me too" requesting Duplicate Tab support for Firefox 3.5, please!
mikedepetris

Post by mikedepetris »

I wanted it to work with FireFox 3.5 so I did it, tested all functions and seem to work well, Duplicate Tab, Duplicate Tab to new window, Detach Tab and Merge Windows.

I just used the old trick to change compatibility version number in the installation package, here are the steps (work already done, see link at the end):
- download duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip or .rar
- extract install.rdf with a suitable archiver
- edit install.rdf
- change the line:
<em:maxVersion>3.1a1pre</em:maxVersion>
to
<em:maxVersion>9.9</em:maxVersion>
(this makes it good up to FireFox 9.9)
- save install.rdf and repack it in duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2whatever.xpi
- open the .xpi file and install the extension
- play :)

and here is a package ready to install:
http://mikedepetris.altervista.org/dupl ... 2.mike.xpi
Last edited by mikedepetris on July 13th, 2009, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tat2jr

Post by tat2jr »

mikedepetris wrote:I wanted it to work with FireFox 3.5 so I did it, tested all functions and seem to work well, Duplicate Tab, Duplicate Tab to new window, Detach Tab and Merge Windows.

I just used the old trick to change compatibility version number in the installation package, here are the steps (work already done, see link at the end):
- download duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip or .rar
- extract install.rdf with a suitable archiver
- edit install.rdf
- change the line:
<em:maxVersion>3.1a1pre</em:maxVersion>
to
<em:maxVersion>9.9</em:maxVersion>
(this makes it good up to FireFox 9.9)
- save install.rdf and repack it in duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2whatever.xpi
- open the .xpi file and install the extension
- play :)

Thanks! That worked perfectly. Just be sure to repack it as a zip, as stated... I repacked it as a rar the first time and it didn't work.
ike9898

Post by ike9898 »

Nice! It worked for me and I learned something in the process.