[TB3][new feature] remote web gui access to Thunderbird

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
ice.man

[TB3][new feature] remote web gui access to Thunderbird

Post by ice.man »

Lots of download manager such as emule, bittorrent clients, FreeDownloadManager, sport this feature: a web interface to remotely control the program
Maybe someone will think this is stupid as far as TB itself connects to internet mail servers, but still now I have at least 15 email personal account from different providers, and many of them do not support imap, so all the history is in my TB local client
When I'm away, besides needing to remeber more than 15 password.......I cannot have my mail history
A remote access to my home ThunderBird client will allow my to just need a forward in my router and firewall an 1 password to remeber (so I can have it really difficult....right now my password are really easy......)
As far as I can immagine few people to need this feature....an optional plugin tu support it will be ok too
Euchre

Re: [TB3][new feature] remote web gui access to Thunderbird

Post by Euchre »

Methinks you would be best served by Thunderbird Portable. The only real challenge with that is making sure to properly sync between your portable version and your home system version. You could actually point the home system version at the portable drive's profile and always have it synced - you would just need to keep your portable drive plugged in when using Thunderbird at home.
Gecko
One Rendering Engine to rule them all.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Using remote desktop to your home machine or a terminal server (should be better to isolate for remote access) may be other options, but require your machine to run at all times and exposes you to the risk of your remote actions (and credentials) being monitored.
ice.man

Post by ice.man »

right now I'm using remote desktop or vnc on a VPN connection
but it's not I can run the vpn client everywere
even thunderbird portable is not the best solution (sync problem, Os of the pc, etc)
plus if needed a webaccess would be possible even from a smartphone
ice.man

Post by ice.man »

A I the only one wishing for the remote webaccess to thunderbird client!?!?!
even the emule and the torrent downloading software have such a feature
Why not a a mail download software?
TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

I've been looking for the same feature. I'd love to find something.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

ice.man wrote:I have at least 15 email personal account from different providers, and many of them do not support imap, so all the history is in my TB local client

It may be easier to get a free account with a provider supporting IMAP (e.g., Gmail) and consolidate your accounts and folders there, if you don't mind having them reside on a remote server without your direct control over that machine (though they are fairly reliable from my experience). You could still use the providers' SMTP servers for your outgoing mail to avoid getting a Gmail stamp on it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »