BugMeNot Improved

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

hmmm, a lot of people i've talked to said it won't work for them, and i have no idea why. it works great on my computer, so i can't reproduce the problem.

would anyone reading this thread do me a favor and try it out and tell me if it works ok or not?

install link
Last edited by roachfiend on August 3rd, 2004, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frogg

Post by frogg »

I'm no expert at this... but maybe it has something to do with the window closing automatically... maybe it is closing before it is actually loading the data into the fields and/or updating the prefs to reflect the fact that it's already been opened.

Perhaps a better solution would be to make it not open the window at all but from the context-menu automatically put in the form data... This approach seems to make more sense to me since the window is not even being used (why open it for nothing?)
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

you have to open the window to grab the information, since it's being pushed by bugmenot's encrypted database. i don't know of another way to "grab" the usernames and passwords.

but still, this works for me, but not a lot of other people. why would it work on my machine but no one else's?
bink

Post by bink »

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm seeing the same problem. I uninstalled 0.3 before installing 0.4, I'm running 0.9.2 on WinXP.

I considered the fact that it could be the popup blocker, so I disabled that, I also tried disabling AdBlock, no dice there either.

I'm running a few other extensions: Download Manager Tweak, Tabbrowser Preferences, Close Tab on Double Click and Focus Last Selected Tab. Perhaps there's a problem with one of my other extensions?

I've got a computer at the office that has Firefox installed with no extensions on it, I'll try it there tomorrow and report back.
tc

Post by tc »

Hi,

I installed it after uninstalling the previous version 0.3 from the extension manager.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040730 Firefox/0.9.1+ (MOOX-AV)
Adblock, Card Games, Compact Menu, DownloadWith, EM Buttons, Linkification, Sage, Smoothwheel, Session Saver and Nuke Anything

All installed on the install day of the browser (new profile)

The new verison of bugmenot downloaded with the automatic close does nothing for me, click multiple times, nothing happens.

Tc
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

From the BugMeNot FAQ:
Why don't you make site urls clickable?
It is better that BugMeNot.com doesn't show up in the referrer logs of the sites it provides accounts for.

I'm assuming that the new functionality in this extension is not pushing the referrer through, so that we aren't contaminating the BugMeNot database?
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

no, it doesn't push the referrer.
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

TC I have the same experience. I even used a new profile, no go.

I click and click but nothing happens

Help!!!
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

roachfiend wrote:no, it doesn't push the referrer.

Great, I just installed it based on that information.

0.4 isn't doing anything. I see it on the context menu, but it doesn't open anything when I'm at washingtonpost.com or nytimes.com. (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803) If a popup is opening and closing, it is happening too fast for me to see it.

As a side note, I also notice that it appears on the context menu always, even on a blank page. It might be a nice option that it would only show up on the context menu if there were login fields present on the page; barring that check, perhaps it would only show if you right-click in a password field (I also use the etension BBCode, which works this way).
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

for those of you who used the old version but have lost it due to the new one, here's the original:

http://files.roachfiend.com/bugmenot.xpi

I tried the new one on a machine at work, and it's broken as well. I'm curious as hell why it still works on my home machine.
Luftpost

Post by Luftpost »

roachfiend wrote:hmmm, a lot of people i've talked to said it won't work for them, and i have no idea why. it works great on my computer, so i can't reproduce the problem.

would anyone reading this thread do me a favor and try it out and tell me if it works ok or not?

install link

Is it me, but was this link initally pointing to 0.3 instead of 0.4?

In any case, I tried it on a new Firefox build + brand new profiles, still doesn't work. Nothing happens.
Tried it on www.ajc.com, ny lines, etc

Is there anyone besides Roachfiend who got it working?
moonka

Post by moonka »

It works for me on my home computer.
Friends bail you out of jail.
Good Friends sit next to you in the cell saying " Dude, that was great!"
moonka

Post by moonka »

It works on my work computer as well. at work I'm using the 9.2 release version, whereas at home I'm using the 8-03 moox build. I had the previous version of Bugmenot installed on both, and just installed over it.
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

moonka wrote:It works for me on my home computer.

well, at least I'm not crazy. but this still doesn't help me realize why it won't work for 98% of the people who try it.
moonka

Post by moonka »

Any info I can give ya about either computers that might help? (if you want info from my home, that won't come till tonite). I've only tested them on the New York Times website.