BugMeNot Improved

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

not really... i need jacksmernov to take a look at his code and see if he can figure out what's causing the conflicts, because i have no idea.
ant1832

Post by ant1832 »

Ok maybe I'm confused, but here's what mine does. I go to the chicago tribune as an example and of course it wants me to login. I right click and click bugmenot and it does open a new tab with a login/pass for that site. Is it supposed to automatically put those values in the login form because right now I have to copy/paste.
dkDesignCo.com--Professional designs for all your web needs.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

I might be wrong, but it could help to put all calls to the prefs service in a try...catch. Most extensions I've pulled apart while learning do that, and Firefox seems to be touchy about prefs at the moment, so errors are possible, and will blow the extension out of the water.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223 Firefox/1.0.1
Thunderbird 1.0 (20041206)
EMbuttons: Buttons & options for the Extension Manager. Easy Get Mail Button is here too.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

I've had some conflicts with BugMeNot 0.4. It doesn't seem to like the nightlies, it doesn't seem to do the script transfer and when I keep clicking it. Nothing happens. I remember it happening only once, but it was a surprise but I never got the standard BugMeNot window to open up.
So I continue to use BugMeNot 0.3 which works just fine for now.

I used -> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040803 Firefox/0.9.1+ (bangbang023)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
wormeyman

Post by wormeyman »

didn't work for me at:

fileplanet.com
filesoup.com

i have .3
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

.3 isn't the problem. if the pop-up window comes up at all, then it works. whether you get valid passwords or not is another issue altogether.

the only thing that concerns me right now is why .4 only works on 3 out of 100 machines.
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

ant1832 Make sure you're running version 0.4

Well it continues to work for me.

I'm running firefox 0.9.2 on win xp with no svrce pack. I have mozlib, jslib, adblock 5d2, tabbrowser extensions 1.10.2004071201, Web Developer 0.8, Mouse Gestures 0.9.20040725, stumbleupon 1.994, image zoom 0.1.6, JavaScript Debuger 0.9.83

I would like to know if installing jslib or mozlib does anything for anyone who BugMeNot is not working for now.

I'm going to see if i can get bugmenot to (work/not work) on a clean install of firefox.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

That does sound interesting to check out... This is happening to me on a clean build with only BugMeNot 0.4 installed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

Yay, i got it to not work. The new bugmenot does not work on a clean install
Unfortunaly, adding mozlib and jslib did not fix the problem.

But i have a non working version of bugmenot and We'll see how hard it is to debug. Mkay
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

I found a bug that is on the scale of having the extension not work on new installs.

http://www.geocities.com/jacksmernov/bu ... index.html

For those of us who installed the ealier versions like myself and roachfiend, I preference called BugMeNot_LastLocation was saved and every time we opend up our browsers that preference would be avaliable to the BugMeNot Extension. But when people just installed the latest version , that preference was never set. So what happend is that when the code got to the point were it was asking for BugMeNot_LastLocation it did this

if (gpreferencesService.prefHasUserValue('BugMeNot_LastLocation'))
{
LastLastLocation = gpreferencesService.getCharPref('BugMeNot_LastLocation');
}

skiping over LastLastLocation. thus LastLastLocation never was insulized. so when

if (LastLastLocation == BugMeNot_LastLocation){

happend. bugmenot crocked.

So to fix this bug I simply inisulized LastLastLocation

var LastLastLocation = "";

And it worked on my clean install.

So try it out. We'll see if this works now
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

Oh yeah, while i was dreaming in javascript last night, I realized that this probably would not work for a registration page with frames. I suppose I should fix that too, that is if I can find a registration page that uses frames. Does anyone have an example that I could test with?
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

kick ass, jack, it works great on this firefox that it didn't work for last time. i'll look for a frame-based registration place, but dunno if i can find one or not.
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

Well instead of finding a frame based registration I made a dumby one on my geocities account. So I tested it with the geocities thing, then i tested it with nytimes and it seamed to work. I then tested it on another clean install and it worked. So we should be cool.

http://www.geocities.com/jacksmernov/bu ... index.html

Test frames page http://www.geocities.com/jacksmernov/bu ... frame.html
frogg

Post by frogg »

Here's one with frames:

propellerheads.se

click on support and then put it any values for the questions they ask (e.g. product name, etc). Once you get to a document, clicking on [View] brings you to the rego page.

BugMeNot in this case does not seem to work.
roachfiend

Post by roachfiend »

ok, new version is now released.

http://extensions.roachfiend.com/index.html#bugmenot

works pretty sweet, thanks to jacksmernov for the coding!