Importing email from Outlook 2003 pst file

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
floydstyle

Importing email from Outlook 2003 pst file

Post by floydstyle »

Hello all, I'm trying to import my emails from outlook 2003 pst file but TB does strip all html stuff
All I get is plain txt emails instead of some beautiful email that I have received....

please help..
what do I need to do?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Import it into Outlook Express, and then import it from Outlook Express into Thunderbird. That solves most Outlook import problems.

It also doesn't hurt to doublecheck "view->message body as" is set to "original html".
floydstyle

Post by floydstyle »

it worked like a charm!!
thanks
TroyMurray

Post by TroyMurray »

That was exactly what I needed, for some reason Thunderbird would not "find" my Outlook 2k3 which was installed on my system. I did the Outlook --> OE --> TB and it worked fine for my mail, about 600MB transfered into TB in less then 2 minutes!

The Contacts, however, I needed to export to a CSV and then put the columns in the correct order.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Somebody in another thread recommended using the shareware program Outlook2Mac to convert a .pst file to mbox's (the format thunderbird uses to store emails) if you don't have a copy of Outlook installed.

http://www.littlemachines.com/

You might want to try converting the address book with Dawn if you have order problems.
http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/
UserFriendly

Re: Importing email from Outlook 2003 pst file

Post by UserFriendly »

Should probably clarify that the "View > Message Body As > Original HTML" option is in Thunderbird.