Preconfigured Installation

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
jlee

Preconfigured Installation

Post by jlee »

I support ~1000 email accounts at a University and rather than posting a detailed document on how to configure 10 different email clients for our mail server and then dealing with the users who either didn't understand or just didn't read the instructions, I'd like to create a customized Thunderbird client install. How can I modify TB so that certain account preferences such as IMAP server name, IMAP Server directory, Use SSL, SMTP server, etc are preset? I've looked at modifying C:\Program Files\Thunderbird\defaults\profile\thunderbird.js however, none of the changes seemed to take effect in new profiles. What I'd like is for the user to install the program (I can handle making the zip a self extracting .exe) and then start thunderbird with the Wizard and rather than having to select IMAP server, enter server names, go into Advanced and choose SSL, etc these options be set as the default. They'd just need to enter a name, email address and username/pass. I've searched through the forums and Google but not found much details. Any help?
jlee

Post by jlee »

Never Mind, a bit more googling and I've answered my own question. But to anyone searching for the same answers, here's what I found. Thunderbird, like Firefox and Mozilla allows for a custom wizard option to be created in the Thunderbird\defaults\isp\ folder (isp doesn't exist in default install though). You can create .rdf files that detail the preconfigured settings you'd like. My student.rdf file (name doesn't matter, tb scans all .rdf files in isp) looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RDF:RDF
xmlns:NC="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#"
xmlns:RDF="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<RDF:Description about="NC:ispinfo">
<NC:providers>
<NC:nsIMsgAccount about="domain:my.org">

<!-- server info -->
<NC:incomingServer>
<NC:nsIMsgIncomingServer>
<NC:prettyName>My Organization Email</NC:prettyName>
<NC:hostName>imap.my.org</NC:hostName>
<NC:biffMinutes>3</NC:biffMinutes>
<NC:type>imap</NC:type>
<NC:port>993</NC:port>
<NC:loginAtStartup>true</NC:loginAtStartup>
<NC:isSecure>true</NC:isSecure>
<NC:ServerType-imap>
<NC:nsIImapIncomingServer>
<NC:maximumConnectionsNumber>2</NC:maximumConnectionsNumber>
<NC:serverDirectory>INBOX.</NC:serverDirectory> #Needed for Courier-IMAP
<NC:usingSubscription>0</NC:usingSubscription>
<NC:manageMailAccountUrl>https://www.my.org/help</NC:manageMailAccountUrl>
</NC:nsIImapIncomingServer>
</NC:ServerType-imap>
</NC:nsIMsgIncomingServer>
</NC:incomingServer>

<!-- identity defaults -->
<NC:identity>
<NC:nsIMsgIdentity>
<NC:composeHtml>false</NC:composeHtml>
<NC:bccSelf>false</NC:bccSelf>
<NC:organization>My Organization</NC:organization>
</NC:nsIMsgIdentity>
</NC:identity>

<NC:smtp>
<NC:nsISmtpServer>
<NC:hostname>smtp.my.org</NC:hostname>
<NC:port>465</NC:port>
<NC:trySSL>3</NC:trySSL>
</NC:nsISmtpServer>
</NC:smtp>

<NC:smtpRequiresUsername>true</NC:smtpRequiresUsername>
<NC:smtpCreateNewServer>true</NC:smtpCreateNewServer>
<NC:smtpUsePreferredServer>true</NC:smtpUsePreferredServer>

<NC:wizardSkipPanels>true</NC:wizardSkipPanels>
<NC:wizardShortName>myorg</NC:wizardShortName>
<NC:wizardLongName>My Org Email</NC:wizardLongName>
<NC:wizardShow>true</NC:wizardShow>
<NC:wizardPromote>true</NC:wizardPromote>
<NC:emailProviderName>MyOrg</NC:emailProviderName>
<NC:sampleEmail>JDOE@my.org</NC:sampleEmail>
<NC:sampleUserName>S_JDOE</NC:sampleUserName>
<NC:emailIDDescription>email user name</NC:emailIDDescription>
<NC:emailIDFieldTitle>User Name</NC:emailIDFieldTitle>
<NC:showServerDetailsOnWizardSummary>false</NC:showServerDetailsOnWizardSummary>
</NC:nsIMsgAccount>
</NC:providers>
</RDF:Description>

</RDF:RDF>

I didn't find this from a single source, I first found Tuft University's customized Mozilla install that had preset email server settings. Digging around in the install files showed me how aol.rdf works, it then took lots of googling and searching to figure out all the correct parameters for my own .rdf file. It'd be nice if all this info was in one place, maybe I'll get a page together at some point. Anyways, hope this helps someone else along the way. TB rocks! So like I originally wanted, students need only d/l my custom TB install file, unzip, Run TB for the 1st time, enter their full name and username and their up and running. Very nice, TB is an excellent product!

One other thing, the aol.rdf allowed me to set Account settings but default Option settings need to be modified in Thunderbird\pref\mailnews.js, editor.js, etc. I edited mailnews.js to block remote images by default (that really should be the default setting for all TB installs IMHO). editor.js allowed me to turn off HTML composition (HTML is good, but in the hands of a freshman girl it's a very dangerous thing :) ), turn autosave on, etc. Have fun.

Jay
mscott

Post by mscott »

Jay, that was definetly the reason for creating .rdf files for extending the account manager. You are doing the right thing there.

And before deploying the bits, large customers tweak mailnews.js, all.js, editor.js, etc. to get the specific preference configurations they want.

Both techniques that you are using are the right ways to solve the problems you were trying to solve :)
Thunderbirds are Go!
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

This is great.. is there a place we can obtain all the info of the tags available for the configuration.

I have everyting working now, but want to add a few more options..

LDAP SERVER
INLINE ATTACHMENTS
REPLY ABOVE QUOTED TEXT
CHECK SPELLING BEFORE SENDING
NEVER SEND RETURN RECEIPT

those sorts of things are the few things missing.

When I try to edit the mailnews.js it won't launch the original rdp anymore.

Thanks for any insight.
h00ligan

anyone

Post by h00ligan »

does anyone have any more info on this.. I am really trying to change over the entire companies, but i can't do it until i can resolve this issue... again, any help is appreciated.
testman57

Post by testman57 »

I would like too some information on correctly setting this kind of default settings (for the moment I'm missing the way to set the default signature file, although I already have the "Attach this signature" checked by default, and I succeded some way to set up the default ldap directory)

For the ldap settings, try setting them in the default mailnews.js (I'm not sure that is the best way, and I m using in parallel a mozilla.cfg file that has some settings setted too...)
I have something like that :

pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.auth.savePassword", true);
pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.description", "My Address book");
pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.filename", "abook-1.mab");
pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.position", 3);
pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.replication.lastChangeNumber", 0);
pref("ldap_2.servers.myAddressbook.uri", "ldap://ldap:389/dc=myCompany,dc=fr??sub");

PS: I don't have problems loading the rdf file when the mailnews.js is modified.
larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

jlee or mscott,

Any pointers to an RDF for an NNTP account setup? I've been able to hack together a RDF for our POP mail service at the University, but I don't have a template to work with for NNTP access.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.7/sourc ... xample.rdf is a good example for mail access, but there's nothing for NNTP.

I'd really like to preset the account manager for the PSU NNTP server, too.

assistance or pointers would be appreciated!

Larry
larkas

Post by larkas »

First, thanks for being someone else that wants to see the ISP configuration functionality brough back to life. I am so glad.

You use the same basic techinque as you did above.

The following psedoexample should work assuming standard ports for news and assuming it is not secure news. I haven't tried it, but you get the basic idea.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<NC:nsIMsgAccount about="domain:my.org">

<!-- server info -->
<NC:prettyName>My Organization News</NC:prettyName>
<NC:hostName>news.my.org</NC:hostName>
<NC:type>nntp</NC:type>

<NC:wizardShortName>myorg</NC:wizardShortName>
<NC:wizardLongName>My Org News</NC:wizardLongName>
<NC:showServerDetailsOnWizardSummary>false</NC:showServerDetailsOnWizardSummary>

larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

wow...thanks, larkas.

FYI, on campus it's not secure, but if you're connecting from home, you must use secure NNTP.

I'll tinker with your example a bit and see what I can do. :) I'll keep the thread posted.

Larry

Edit:
I've been tinkering with the above code, and it doesn't seem to be working correctly. It's going through the wizzard as if it were an EMail account, not a news server. (Just walk through the generic newsgroup wizzard, and you'll see what I mean.)

larkas....

Did you ever GET an RDF to work for a specific NNTP server?

Has ANYONE??

Please share.
larkas

Post by larkas »

Apparently, it is possible, I have never managed to do it, but read this posting:

http://www.mozilla.org/profilemanager/isp-rdf-info.txt

I have tried to play around using those 3 interfaces with no luck (including the example I posted last night). In fact, I can't even get the new Account Wizard to move past the first page (where you select it) when I select my custom news file.
whafro

Post by whafro »

So this is working great... but I wish that every setting in the account manager had a hook to this... like:

- expunge inbox on exit
- ldap servers
- reply above/below

I am using the ldap server hack above, but I can't get the resultant default profile to use the ldap listing I put in as a default... I can get it to appear as the default, but it will say "<LDAP initialization problem>" until the user goes back into the Options, under Composition, unchecks "Directory Server" adn then rechecks it. Then it works fine. Soooooo close. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

whafro,

You are *possibly* putting in a string that TB does not understand (could be one char off).. Have a look at *exactly* what TB puts in after the user does that 'reset' thing.. It's prolly best to look at the pref file using a hex editor to see if there is anything 'funky' about the string.

The fact that you are soooo close *should* spur you on even more :wink: ( it does for me anyway )
whafro

Post by whafro »

ah hah, you were right... after throwing some stuff through diff, I found that case-sensitivity was coming to be the bane of my existence... word, now to find out where to set those other two aspects as defaults...
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

can we go back to ldap for a second..

while that may work, it doesn't seem to a) specify where that should go/what it should replace

b) look to be a complete solution.. it looks to me that personal address book is being given up based on that setting.

Does ANYONE have mroe detail on rolling out with a preconfigured LDAP... this could potentially be a deal breaker for us here , and my boss is getting tired of waiting.

Appreciate the help, i am so freaking close to completing this project i would hate for all the work to be for naught.
sjcarr

Post by sjcarr »

newsgroup configuration:

all of the settings fall back to the old Netscape CCK - you cant have the news and email addresses ending with the same domain name. so you really need 2 domain names :\

as you may notice (below) the domain on the news is set to dur.ac.uk - the domain on our email setup is durham.ac.uk

ste

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<NC:nsIMsgAccount about="domain:dur.ac.uk">

<!-- server info -->
<NC:prettyName>our.outgoing.news</NC:prettyName>
<NC:hostName>our.outgoing.news</NC:hostName>
<NC:type>nntp</NC:type>
<NC:port>119</NC:port>

<!-- identity defaults -->
<NC:identity>
<NC:nsIMsgIdentity>
<NC:composeHtml>false</NC:composeHtml>
<NC:bccSelf>false</NC:bccSelf>
<NC:organization>blah</NC:organization>
</NC:nsIMsgIdentity>
</NC:identity>

<NC:smtp>
<NC:nsISmtpServer>
<NC:hostname>our.outgoing.mail</NC:hostname>
</NC:nsISmtpServer>
</NC:smtp>

<NC:smtpCreateNewServer>true</NC:smtpCreateNewServer>
<NC:smtpUsePreferredServer>true</NC:smtpUsePreferredServer>

<NC:wizardShortName>uod.xnntp</NC:wizardShortName>
<NC:wizardLongName>blah News Server Account</NC:wizardLongName>
<NC:emailProviderName>blah</NC:emailProviderName>