Many places.sqlite.corrupt files in profile

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
w3stfa11

Many places.sqlite.corrupt files in profile

Post by w3stfa11 »

Using Firefox 3 beta 4, I have over
<a>200 places.sqlite.corrupt files</a> (places.sqlite-1.corrupt...) in my profile. I'm not even sure how this happened.

It was very odd too, because once this happened, the firefox.exe persisted in the task manager. I could not kill the task. I'd double click on Firefox shortcut and it would open without any bookmarks and the location bar didn't autocomplete and oddly, there were two firefox.exe processes. Everytime I opened firefox, it would create 10-15 more corrupted places files, each of about 9mb. I deleted all those files, but I couldn't delete places.sqlite-journal and places.sqlite-stmtjrnl.

A restart finally fixed everything though and I got my bookmarks back. Just seems very strange to quickly accumulate 2gb of stuff in my profile. I did a quick search but only found one person who experienced this issue.
biAji

Post by biAji »

OK. I got the same problem now... After I update to the Firefox 3 beta5 in rawhide repo.

Is there any suggestions?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

... firefox.exe persisted in the task manager. I could not kill the task.
That is indicative of a problem outside Firefox. See anything here helps:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open

but I couldn't delete places.sqlite-journal and places.sqlite-stmtjrnl
Those two files should only exist while Firefox is running, they should get closed out as Firefox is closing down.

Can either of you replicate that problem using a new Profile and restoring your bookmarks from the old Profile's JSON backups?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
johnbub

Re: Many places.sqlite.corrupt files in profile

Post by johnbub »

I had this problem with multiple places.sqlite.corrupt files in profile.

Discovered it was because the "user environment variable's" for TEMP and TMP were active but the folder(s) had not been created before running firefox.

Create the necessary folder(s) then start firefox.

Hope this helps.
debu

Post by debu »

johnbub wrote:I had this problem with multiple places.sqlite.corrupt files in profile.

Discovered it was because the "user environment variable's" for TEMP and TMP were active but the folder(s) had not been created before running firefox.

Create the necessary folder(s) then start firefox.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm having this very problem, could someone take a second and break down the steps I have to do to solve it? thanks
johnbub

Post by johnbub »

@debu

Close Firefox first, then check your "environment variables" by doing the following:
1. Go to desktop
2. Right-click MY-COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES
3. Click on ADVANCED tab
4. Click ENVIRONMENT-VARIABLES button
5. Check the values of TEMP and TMP Variables in both the upper and lower selction boxes point to valid and existing folders/directories ... if not then create the folders pointed to, or create new folders and change the values of the variable TEMP and TMP in both boxes
6. Restart Firefox

That is what I did to correct the problem

Hope it helps you
Cheers
debu

Post by debu »

Johnbub,

I found the variables and made sure they were pointed at existing folders (they were) . I'm hoping the corrupt files just needed to be deleted and they don't come back and fill up my os drive again. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate the detailed info. D