Avoid master password when filling in site passwords????

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
johann_p

Avoid master password when filling in site passwords????

Post by johann_p »

I have migrated from the suite to FF and there is one difference in the behavior that gets on my nerves ... extremely annoying: FF wants to know my master password before filling in the first site password of a session. With the suite, there was a way to avoid this (i.e. the master password only protected my email certificates but not my site passwords).

Is there a way to get rid of the master password? My user account and the location of my computer provides enough protection?

I could nowhere find a preference dialog to delete or change the master password ...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
sard

Post by sard »

It's hidden 6 screens deep in Tools > Options > Advanced > Manage Security Devices > Software Security Device > Change Password
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Thank you sard ... in my version of FF it is Edit->Preferences->Advanced ... but you got me on the right track! :)
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Linux changed it to Edit-Preferences. On Windows it's Tools-Options.
ueffchen

Post by ueffchen »

What does the master password do?
a) Does it stop using the PWD manager without the master PDW?
b) Does this protect that the signons.txt can simply be copied to another FF profile?

Rgds, Ueffchen
hodges

Post by hodges »

> Is there a way to get rid of the master password?

I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but you might try (if yer on windoze) shutting down Firefox, and then renaming..

\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\key3.db

..to be something like "key3.db.orig" or "!key3.db", and then relaunching FF and seeing if it now behaves as you want -- which seems to be that you want it to in fact use the "save passwords" feature, but to not require a Master Password.

See message #10 in this thread...

master password problem-can I reset it?
http://forums.mozillanews.org/index.php ... readid=435

..for related info.

Hope this helps,

JeffH
=JeffH
davidsilvestri

PASSSWORD REJECTION

Post by davidsilvestri »

WHAT DO I DO ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE MESSAGHE SAYING MY SERVER HAS REJECTED MY PASSWORD. AND HOW DO I ENABLE JAVASCRIPT? THANKS. DAVEDUDE
davedude
Hamburger

Re: PASSSWORD REJECTION

Post by Hamburger »

davidsilvestri wrote:WHAT DO I DO ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE MESSAGHE SAYING MY SERVER HAS REJECTED MY PASSWORD. AND HOW DO I ENABLE JAVASCRIPT? THANKS. DAVEDUDE

Tools-Options, enable javascript.
davidsilvestri

Post by davidsilvestri »

thanks. it is enabled, but a site still says i do not have javascript enabled. also, still need to know how to solve the problem with message that my server keeps rejecting my password and i cannot find where the password is. any ideas would be appreciated.
davedude
Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Most likely the site is useragent sniffing. There are several ways around it. The first method is to first disable Java, and then type about:config in the location bar, right-click- new and then type: MSIE 6.0
ylbissop

renaming key3.db to not require a Master Password

Post by ylbissop »

hodges wrote:> Is there a way to get rid of the master password?

I'm not entirely sure if this will work, but you might try (if yer on windoze) shutting down Firefox, and then renaming..

\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\key3.db

..to be something like "key3.db.orig" or "!key3.db", and then relaunching FF and seeing if it now behaves as you want -- which seems to be that you want it to in fact use the "save passwords" feature, but to not require a Master Password.
JeffH

on mac it's users\(your account)\Library\Aplication support\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\key3.db
and it has worked a charm for me so far thanks!
spelo5967

Post by spelo5967 »

OK, I have tried changing my password for the Software Security Device, which said it was successful and I was "logged in" and I also tried changing the name of the key3.db file, but that only got it to stop prompting me for the Master Password, but still automatically throwing up an error box saying my password is invalid. This happens every time I launch FF or even just open a new window and it's getting very annoying. I have no use for a Master Password and would like to just turn the damn thing off. Any more suggestions?
WinLin

Post by WinLin »

Rename both key3.db and signons.txt, the two files work together.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4 (MOOX M3)
-----------------
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.7)
Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.3 (Debian package 1.0.3-2)
spelo5967

Post by spelo5967 »

And where would I find signons.txt? I just searched my harddrive for the file and it's not coming up. I know it's not in the same folder as key3.db, so I'm at a loss...
spelo5967

Post by spelo5967 »

Oh BTW, I finally bit the bullet and just got rid of the Master Password by resetting it, but I'm still getting the error box about the "invalid password", so the situation is unchanged, really.