Firefox 3.5 jpeg images are too dark

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gquiring

Firefox 3.5 jpeg images are too dark

Post by gquiring »

After loading 3.5 I noticed that when I view my Canon 40D photos on my web site the images are all too dark/burnt. The thumbs look normal tone but a full view shows a much darker image. I surfed around the web at various jpeg images with my laptop running 3.0.8 and they look fine but many (not all) are wrong with 3.5. Here is a sample image that is too dark on 3.5:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Stev ... 3b1945.jpg
FatJohn

Re: Firefox 3.5 jpeg images are too dark

Post by FatJohn »

gquiring

Post by gquiring »

FatJohn wrote:Did you read the release notes? http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5/releasenotes/
I don't think that ICC v2 is the same issue. Many images look fine on my monitor, it's only some images. The bug seems to read to me at least that the monitor profile will display all images wrong.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

No, by default color management is only applied to images that are tagged with a color profile.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gfx.color_management.mode

That could explain why only some images look wrong.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

Post by Guest »

firefox firefail so they know they messed up- but are not bothering to fix it? they always seem to do this- screw firefox- they are so good and always mess something up- hey firefox- try testing stuff once in a while- if i sold you a car that didnt work you'd be pissed- so why do you do it? are you gods are you better than everyone else? one rule for us one for you?
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

The bug was noticed too close to the release for a fix to be included. It will be fixed in Firefox 3.5.1
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
gquiring

Post by gquiring »

Well 3.5.1 is out and the color problem was NOT resolved. Just great.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

3.5.1 was rushed to fix a critical security issue, so the fix for this got bumped to the next version. Anyways, it's doubtful that you would have gotten it any sooner if 3.5.1 wasn't rushed.
viisii

Post by viisii »

I just want to confirm this problem. I was browsing a regular photo site and noticed it. I though the photographer had a new style. Viewing the image in Chrome or Opera showed that it was definitely a Firefox bug. I would say images looks "burned" not dark....
AZRainman

Post by AZRainman »

Looks to same to me in IE8 or FF3.51
TryinToMakeADollar

Post by TryinToMakeADollar »

Well, hopefully they'll fix it soon. I want to be able to see her armpits.

Post by Guest »

I have noticed this problem too but thought it was my new PC. Checked the same image side by side IE8 & FF3.51 - Definite HUGE difference.

AZRainman - Try this and tell me
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricop/3738388541/
DJKennedy

Post by DJKennedy »

Today I noticed that with using 3.5.1 that the browser shows everything too bright. Except when I look at my photos on my web site - they are showing as too dark/contrasty. When I look at the image without using the browser (irfanview) the image looks correct but then looking at the image (from my website) they photos look dark and contrasty.

Looking at this page as I type this, the colours and the whites, look WAY too bright.

Any fix yet? Its the 24th now and the first post was 20 days ago.

Post by Guest »

Using Vista Home Premium - Updated to SP2 and it seems to have fixed the problem to a reasonable level!!!??
DJKennedy

Post by DJKennedy »

Not me, I downgraded to 3.0.12. I already have SP2 so no help there.