[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mikedepetris

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Post by mikedepetris »

I'm so happy my little effort has been helpful :-)
gclunsf

Post by gclunsf »

mikedepetris, you're the MAN!!! (or lady or whatever). Thanks much for that fix. It works great.
mgoldman

Post by mgoldman »

Can anyone make a suggestion about how to do Mike Petris' trick on a mac? I can repackage the files with the edited file as a zip file, but even changing the extension to .xpi doesn't really change the file; it is still a .zip file and when I double click it simply unpacks the files again.

Thanks!
therube

Post by therube »

It's not supposed to change the file. An XPI is a ZIP.
Simply drag the XPI into your browser window. It should ask to install.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mgoldman

Post by mgoldman »

therube wrote:It's not supposed to change the file. An XPI is a ZIP.
Simply drag the XPI into your browser window. It should ask to install.
Thanks rube, but it doesn't seem to work. Here's what happens: I have a folder containing 4 files (chrome.manifest, install.js, install.rdf, and license.txt) and 2 subfolders (chrome and defaults). I hilight them all and select compress which creates a file called "archive.zip". If I change the extesion to xpi and drag it into the browser window, I get an "Opening Archive" window that says "you have chosen to open Archive.xpi.zip which is a: PC ZIP Archive from: /blahblah/Desktop What should Firefox do with this file? Open with StuffItExpander (default) or Save File" IF I choose the former, it unpacks the files again, the later simply saves another copy of the file. I do not get a window asking to install. Suggestions?
therube

Post by therube »

Look what you have written ...
you have chosen to open Archive.xpi.zip

Ax the .zip part so you only have Archive.xpi & try again.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
mikedepetris

Post by mikedepetris »

I gave you a link of an already modified .xpi, isn't it working on the Mac?
mgoldman

Post by mgoldman »

Hey mike, I just check out the modified .xpi link from your post again; I think I had been thrown by the non-English: "La risorsa richiesta è accessibile qui" I'm guessing I needed to save the "qui" link as a file? Didn't occur to me till just now.

Luckily, I was able to get the program to work by finding the install.rdf file AFTER installation, and changing the appropriate line per your suggestion. It works!! So you did help, and thank you.

By the way therube, I did "ax" the .zip part; it didn't matter. Even if I delete the .zip, the file would simply unpack when I dropped it on a browser window; if I then checked properties of the file again, it would show the .zip extension still on the end of the name. So deleting the ".zip" doesn't really delete the ".zip". Must be a Mac thing and I've recently shifted over to Mac from PC so there are many things I can't figure out. But thanks anyways.
djones33

Post by djones33 »

I want to thank Mike for a wonderful job in figuring this out. I now understand better how xpi works, at least this one works, as I will have to play with others. I did make subtle changes to what Mike did, just for my own help, and have modified his quote to show this difference.

By the way, why is this fix not implemented as a fix for the many people who cannot make these changes?

mikedepetris wrote:I wanted it to work with FireFox 3.5 so I did it, tested all functions and seem to work well, Duplicate Tab, Duplicate Tab to new window, Detach Tab and Merge Windows.

I just used the old trick to change compatibility version number in the installation package, here are the steps (work already done, see link at the end):
- download duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip or .rar
- extract install.rdf with a suitable {zip} archiver
- edit install.rdf {USE WORDPAD}
- change {ALL THESE LINES} the line:
<em:maxVersion>3.1a1pre</em:maxVersion>
to
<em:maxVersion>9.9</em:maxVersion>
(this makes it good up to FireFox 9.9)
------- {DRAG CHANGED FILE INTO THE ZIP ARCHIEVER}
- save install.rdf and repack it in duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2whatever.xpi
----- {I RENAMED IT DUPLICATETAB-9.9 BY CHANGING THE <em:name> LINE}
- open the .xpi file and install the extension { WHEN YOU TRY TO OPEN, YOUR OS WILL ASK WHAT PROGRAM TO USE. SELECT FIREFOX. IT IS NOW INSTALLED ON YOUR TASKBAR}[/b]
- play :)

and here is a package ready to install:
http://mikedepetris.altervista.org/dupl ... 2.mike.xpi
NYEarthling

Post by NYEarthling »

Worked like a charm! Did it by hand since like MGoldman I don't speak Italian either, hehe. :) Thank you Mike!

BTW, lost something cool with the upgrade to 3.5 ... I use SeaMonkey too, and I used to be able to drag-n-drop a tab from Fox to Monkey. I thought it was this add-on that let me, but still can't do it. Ah well.
rangjung

Post by rangjung »

NYEarthling wrote:Worked like a charm! Did it by hand since like MGoldman I don't speak Italian either, hehe. :) Thank you Mike!

BTW, lost something cool with the upgrade to 3.5 ... I use SeaMonkey too, and I used to be able to drag-n-drop a tab from Fox to Monkey. I thought it was this add-on that let me, but still can't do it. Ah well.
I also lost something cool with the upgrade to 3.5.
Well..... FAR OUT
IT WORKED
Thanks Mike
galt57

Post by galt57 »

I don't understand why an add-on is needed for something as simple as duplicating a tab. I don't want all the other crazy tab features that most ad-ons provide.
jellyjam

Post by jellyjam »

mikedepetris wrote:I wanted it to work with FireFox 3.5 so I did it, tested all functions and seem to work well, Duplicate Tab, Duplicate Tab to new window, Detach Tab and Merge Windows.

I just used the old trick to change compatibility version number in the installation package, here are the steps (work already done, see link at the end):
- download duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip or .rar
- extract install.rdf with a suitable archiver
- edit install.rdf
- change the line:
<em:maxVersion>3.1a1pre</em:maxVersion>
to
<em:maxVersion>9.9</em:maxVersion>
(this makes it good up to FireFox 9.9)
- save install.rdf and repack it in duplicatetab-1.0.2.xpi.zip
- rename it to duplicatetab-1.0.2whatever.xpi
- open the .xpi file and install the extension
- play :)

and here is a package ready to install:
http://mikedepetris.altervista.org/dupl ... 2.mike.xpi

Will this work for 3.6 do you reckon?
Down with IE!!!
galt57

Post by galt57 »

I have it installed in 3.6 and it seems to be working.
jive

Post by jive »

There is a simple an great addon for google chrome called merge tabs. It has an icon on the toolbar that you can simply click and merge windows. Duplicate tab does this as well, but no toolbar icon for this. :( . It has three duplicate tab icons, but none for merging tabs. And I not a big fan of context menus. I tend to simply ignore them. Can you create toolbar button/icon for merging tabs?
Jonas R Flint