ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 [updated 1/29/05]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
crafteh

ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 [updated 1/29/05]

Post by crafteh »

ForecastFox 0.7 RC1 Image[Home Page] [install] [mozilla update]

Image Image

Image Image Image

To upgrade to the new tooltip from the old one hit "Restore Default" for each one.

The Firefox Weather extension brings your current and forecasted weather to your browser in non-abstrusive icons.

Features:
  • International weather support.
  • Profiles - easily switch settings between locations.
  • Display in temperatures in celsius or fahrenheit.
  • Display custom label and/or image for current conditions.
  • Display night and/or day forecasts.
  • Display custom label and/or image for forecasts.
  • The forecast for today changes to tonight's forecast after 3 pm.
  • Choose forecast area by US zip code or TWC® location id.
  • Search for location id's from within the program.
  • Customizable tooltips can be multilined and contain the forecast image.
  • Tooltips show the weather summary and forecast high and low temperatures.
  • Open The Weather Channel®'s forcast by double clicking images.
  • Monitor the weather for one to nine days.
  • Place the icons in any toolbar or status-bar including: the navbar, status bar, personal toolbar, or menu bar.
  • An alert slider pops up when the current conditions refresh from the server (you choose how often).
  • Data caching for optimized performance.
  • Contains de-DE, es-ES, fr-FR, it-IT, nl-NL, pl-PL, and pt-PT locales.

If you think you found a bug, post it on our bugzilla.

[install]

Go here for the 0.7 RC.
Last edited by crafteh on January 31st, 2005, 12:12 am, edited 52 times in total.
tnorris

Post by tnorris »

Your link points to a 0 byte file....
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Oh thanks... fixed.
Kasteo

Post by Kasteo »

Awesome, I was looking for this kind of extension for awhile.

::::: Add :::::
I would like to see the option where the user can choose between C and F. I'm not use to the F scale. :)
Noia 2.0 theme for Firefox & Thunderbird
- Compaq Presario 2190US, 2.4GHz, 1024MB DDR RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD.
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Gecko/20040925 Firefox/0.10 (MOOX M3)
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Oh yeah, i forgot about that ... it'll be easy to do
thinktiger

Post by thinktiger »

I really like the way you have implemented this extension. I am located outside the US however so I would really like to see international support and an options dialog added as first priorities. Also, making the background of the icons transparent would be a simple but effective change as well. The background of the icons appear white on my browser, unless this is the look you are going for of course.
Image Zoom extension for Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird
papaoom

NAME SUGGESTION

Post by papaoom »

NAME SUGGESTION:

How about WeatherFoxie ... :-k

I googled WeatherFox and that's already taken... [-X
But WeatherFoxie was nowhere in sight!! :lol:

crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Thinktiger: I don't know how to make it on a transparent background instead of white. It sounds like it'll be a pain since its 47 icons. Maybe one of you can do it? I haven't found a good international xml weather provider yet. Let me know if anyone comes accross one.

Papoom: I really like WeatherFox... do you think I can use it? It isn't an extension :P
tnorris

Post by tnorris »

I like the extension as well. One issue I have though is that the icons are so light, that I can't actually tell what they are. If you could make them more "bright", that would help alot.
papaoom

NAME

Post by papaoom »

crafteh wrote:Papoom: I really like WeatherFox... do you think I can use it? It isn't an extension :P

I think you'd run into trouble since WeatherFox is an actual website that deals with weather ... thay may claim confusion since the name's the same (but I'm no lawyer)... On the other hand, you shouldn't have problems with WeatherFoxie since it is a weather extension for Firefox

Last edited by papaoom on August 8th, 2004, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
papaoom

ON ANOTHER NOTE

Post by papaoom »

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
I'm having my own problems with getting this to work... I've got the icons in my status bar but they're all X'd out...
crafteh wrote:These are the prefs that are used by this weather extension:

Pref - Type - Default - description
weather.debug - boolean - false - turn debug mode on/off .. outputs info to console
weather.refresh - boolean - true - refreshes the weather from the server every weather.interval minutes
weather.interval - string - "15" - minutes between refreshes
weather.zipcode - string - "02139" - your zipcode - double click the icons to refresh them to the new zipcode
weather.days - string - "2" - the number of days ahead you want to view (0 = only current weather, 1 is today + tomorrow...)

Remember - you have to manually set the zipcode in about:config

When I go into about:config or even Preferential, the only two entries I find are weather.days and weather.debug... I must be missing something here (besides the other prefs!!)... Do I/Can I handcode the missing ones??

I really want this to work!! :furious:

crafteh

Post by crafteh »

Thats odd - it should automatically create/set the missing entries to the default values. Try double clicking the X'd icons. If that doesn't work, manually set the missing ones (make sure you set the number ones to string and not int). Restart the browser after that (or double click down there). Let me know how it goes.

WeatherFoxie doesn't flow as well as WeatherFox :P .. hmm.

Does anyone know how hard it is to brighten the icons and make put them on a transparent background. I think that when I switch to a transparent background you'll be able to see them better since it'll be yellow/white on grey.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040808 Firefox/0.9.1+ (and true for the nightly release of a day or two ago, also):

1. Install extension, and as reported by "papaoom," there were only two entries in about:config.
1a. I manually created the other entries.

2. No icons of any sort, with either the default theme or Little Firefox, only three spaces at the right end of the task bar.
2a. When mouse is placed over any of those spaces, the tooltip says "No weather data.'
2b. Given that I live in New Mexico, the lack of weather data is not overly surprising, considering how many people believe that NEW Mexico is a foreign country....
crafteh

Post by crafteh »

What other extensions do you two have installed? Maybe there is some conflict with the variables... Do you see any errors in the JavaScript Console?
Merve

Post by Merve »

Please make something like this for the Mozilla Suite!
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, bah, blah blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Which one's the odd one out?