Firefox stops responding to mouse

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Xagest

Firefox stops responding to mouse

Post by Xagest »

Every now and then, Firefox will just stop responding to mouse clicks. The menus, tabs, and hyperlinks just don't do anything when I click. To get Firefox to respond again, I have to switch to a different window, then switch back.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on Firefox 3.5 (this was happening on Firefox 3.0 as well. I thought upgrading would fix it, but it didn't).
Bazzz

Re: Firefox stops responding to mouse

Post by Bazzz »

I have the same problem I am using a logitech wireless mouse wondered if that was the cause
Lock -n-Load

Post by Lock -n-Load »

same issue here.. VERY annoying so I opt to use a diff browser.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If you are using a mouse that is either wireless or add a number of features make sure that you have up-to-date drivers for it. The drivers that came with it can be months old.

If the mouse includes any helper programs turn those off.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Xagest

Post by Xagest »

It's not exclusive to a single mouse, though. I've used two separate mice, as well as the two built into my laptop (a touchpad and a nub mouse).
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Is it happening on more then one computer?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

I haven't really used another computer regularly, but I haven't seen this happening on other computers.
wmcbrine

Post by wmcbrine »

I'm seeing this on my mother's new government-issued laptop -- Win XP SP3 + an excessive amount of security software, like "Guardian Edge" -- with both 3.5.x and 3.0.x. (I started with 3.5 and tried downgrading, with no change.) Never saw anything like it before.
JDxx76

Post by JDxx76 »

Dang...been having this problem. Seems like Firefox stops responding while it's loading a page. But, sometimes it takes a few tries to get a click to register. At the same time, while I click...up on the top it says that Firefox is not Responding. This just started happening with the latest upgrade of Firefox.
Xagest

Post by Xagest »

Still seeing this issue, and one of my friends have been seeing it as well (switched to Chrome because of it).

Post by Guest »

Same, I've been running it in safe mode, and it doesn't seem to be any different