[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
RPMozley

Re: [FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Post by RPMozley »

@ rampancy. Are you sure my builds still showed as 3.5.1pre? I don't see that at all here, just 3.5 everywhere.
My build thread - Camino Builds - http://www.rpm-mozilla.org.uk
MacBook 13" 2.4GHz: OSX 10.6.8
iBook G3 Indigo 366MHz, PowerBook G3 333MHz: OSX 10.3.9
Stork

Post by Stork »

Me, too. I just downloaded the 3.5 build and the "About Shiretoko" states "3.5.1pre1".
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Yes, that's expected, but I guess it wasn't entirely clear. All the builds marked 3.5 are saying 3.5.1pre as their version everywhere. Don't know why, but they're built from the 3.5 release source tree, so they're 3.5 final builds, as far as I can tell. Not concerned enough with the version strings to do any intensive find/replace action just to make it say 3.5. You'll have to trust me on this one, I guess.
trisweb

Post by trisweb »

Is this build worth it for current Intel macs or is the official release optimized fairly well for that? I will try it out and see if there's a difference, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had experience. Thanks.
aarfing

Post by aarfing »

Hi there,

Great work you're doing :)

Just wanted to know which Shiretoko release is equivalent to the Firefox 3.5.1 release, as they all say 3.5.1pre...

Thank you so much!
zillac

Post by zillac »

I just tried building the 3.5.2 release. I'm doing this the firstime.
You can probably try it out and tell me how it have worked.

For 10.5 and Intel Core 2 (or later CPUs)

http://bit.ly/kD0F0 [megaupload]
VikThor

Post by VikThor »

Just getting back to using G4 optimized, after quite awhile of not, and I've just got a quick question (which may be related to the last few posts here...)

I downloaded the FX7450-3.5.1.dmg (undated, between 7/20 and 7/29), and when installed shows as 3.5.2pre, just wondering why?
(and my partner wonders why shows up as Shiretoko?)
Thanks!
zillac

Post by zillac »

I'll answer the second question.

It's named shiretoko, because Firefox is reserved for the official builds, and cannot be used in distribution of custom builds (like these optimized builds).
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

VikThor wrote:Just getting back to using G4 optimized, after quite awhile of not, and I've just got a quick question (which may be related to the last few posts here...)

I downloaded the FX7450-3.5.1.dmg (undated, between 7/20 and 7/29), and when installed shows as 3.5.2pre, just wondering why?
(and my partner wonders why shows up as Shiretoko?)
Thanks!

Shiretoko is the codename of the 3.5 branch of code. Mozilla doesn't like third-party builds with experimental changes (ie optimization flags, out-of-tree patches, etc) to be called "Firefox" in the interest of keeping user confusion down. Thus, we get the code names.

Looks like I must've checked 3.5.1 out before they did the final check-in with the version number fix. You can see here where they checked in a patch that changed the version number: http://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla- ... 7db942191c

As far as I can tell, there's no functional difference otherwise.

3.5.2 has the same issue. Looking at the Mercurial summary, it looks like they moved the FIREFOX_3_5_2_RELEASE tag up a few revisions to pick up a bugfix and inadvertently snagged the version number bump. I think. This is several in a row that don't have the right version number, so I'm not sure what the malfunction is. I can rebuild 3.5.2 with a fixed version number if you guys would like, I'm personally indifferent to it. I'll check on 3.5.3 when it comes out before I build and try to make sure the version numbers are right, even if I have to change them myself.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Crazy news, guys. I think I may have gotten update packaging working. I know, right?! Not sure if anyone noticed, but I surreptitiously slipped a new preference into the latest builds: app.update.url.override, which allows me to set my own update source. Right now it's telling all your browsers that there are no updates, cause I told it to, which is why you haven't seen any update notifications. I've set tonight's builds to automatically create the update packages and push them to the server. I successfully deployed an update to the server, and had Shiretoko update itself just now. Pimpin'. I'm not sure when I'll be turning on auto-updates for everyone cause there are a couple issues to deal with first. To wit:

Current issues:
-There will be new updates EVERY DAY for nightly builds right now cause I build like clockwork. I'm not sure that's good. Maybe I only push auto-updates once a week? How often do you kids wanna get automatically upgraded to the newest nightly?
-I haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna deal with release builds. I'm gonna have to do some version sniffing logic or something, otherwise my release users would get upgraded to nightlies. No good.
-The way I wrote my php script creates some interesting issues when going up a minor revision. ie, when 3.5.3 comes out and the official version number for branch becomes 3.5.4pre, my current solution wouldn't upgrade your nightly to 3.5.4pre. I want it to, but right now it wouldn't.

All of this is under consideration, but the news is, I can make with the autoupdating. Soon, you will be able to make with the autoupdating as well.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

3.6 Alpha 1 builds are up. Check it.
jram

Post by jram »

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.3a1pre) Gecko/20090815 Firefox/3.7a1pre (Mac Community Build, ElFurbe) ID:20090815125106 What about this build ?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I don't have the slightest idea what you're asking. What about it? It's a 3.7a1pre build from the 15th of August, it looks like. Something specific you're looking to find out?
jram

Post by jram »

I was wondering if that build is going to ask if I want to update or a choice to update without going to
http://firefoxmac.furbism.com/ , no big deal but you said that your builds are updating, by the way keep up the great work.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Oh. No, none of them are autoupdating yet. Still working out a few kinks... I think I'm deciding that I don't care to update people to major updates, ie 3.5->3.6. I think you'll just need to download a clean one for that and then you'd start getting 3.6 updates. What I'm working on is how exactly to deal with minor updates. Currently, I'm taking advantage of Firefox's ability to insert its version number with %VERSION% (like the official update method does) and using that to find the available updates. Problem is, that number is pretty specific, 3.5.3pre as an example. So I guess what I need to do is broaden my search to include any updates for anything starting with 3.5 and then just deliver the newest one. Since I'm only delivering complete MARs and not partials, it should be a non-issue to cross minor versions update-wise. Still deciding if I think building updates every night is necessary.

Totally unrelated, since the Moz has branched 3.6 (gecko-1.9.2), I'm moving branch builds over to 3.6. 3.5 builds will be official releases only from now on. To infinity and all that.