Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
zamula

Re: New addon to compact header plane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by zamula »

I just uploaded a new version of my classic theme (1.0.8) that allows the icon/text options from CompactHeader to work correctly. (In prior versions I forced the buttons to be iconic only.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

zamula wrote:I just uploaded a new version of my classic theme (1.0.8) that allows the icon/text options from CompactHeader to work correctly. (In prior versions I forced the buttons to be iconic only.)

Good job! I'm using it now. Looks great! =D>
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
dserodio

Post by dserodio »

Awesome work, thanks for your efforts
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

I'm pleased to report that version 0.4.1 with all of its options works on Mostly Crystal as well. :D
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

Problem: I have the tb classic theme and this addon. I have 3 icons showing in the header pane. When I highlight 2+ messages, my 3 icons disappear and I get an archive button and a little blank button with no label.

How can I keep my 3 icons showing? Or maybe my reply icon shouldn't (or be grayed out), but my archive and trash icons should not move.

Also, why doesn't Addons/"Find updates" find the latest version?
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

stylo~ wrote:Problem: I have the tb classic theme and this addon. I have 3 icons showing in the header pane. When I highlight 2+ messages, my 3 icons disappear and I get an archive button and a little blank button with no label.

How can I keep my 3 icons showing? Or maybe my reply icon shouldn't (or be grayed out), but my archive and trash icons should not move.

Also, why doesn't Addons/"Find updates" find the latest version?

I tried what is the default behavior without the CompactHeader addon and the TB3 classic theme:

Two buttons appear if you select more than one message: Archive and Delete (as icon). The icon of the delete button disappears after installing the TB3 classic theme. The CompactHeader addon does not change the default behavior. So I guess this is a problem of the theme.

Experimental addons are not updated automatically:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375359
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions
zamula

Post by zamula »

stylo~ wrote:I tried what is the default behavior without the CompactHeader addon and the TB3 classic theme:

Two buttons appear if you select more than one message: Archive and Delete (as icon). The icon of the delete button disappears after installing the TB3 classic theme. The CompactHeader addon does not change the default behavior. So I guess this is a problem of the theme.

I'm not sure why this is happening, because my CSS changes don't even reference the trash button at all, and I'm not adding the code that shows the icon. If you check the first post in my theme thread, you can see all I did was copy over old icons, made some CSS tweaks, but left everything else as-is.

Also, I don't have the issue and see both icons when selecting multiple messages. Could those with the problems verify they are using version 1.0.8 of my theme, and 0.4.1 of CompactHeader? Unfortunately if I can't reproduce the problem, I can't fix it....perhaps someone with more experience with CSS etc. might have an idea where the problem is.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

With the newest nightly build (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.3a1pre) Gecko/20090821 Shredder/3.1a1pre) the delete button keeps its icon if the CompactHeader and the theme TB3 classic is installed.

Regarding the request to keep all buttons, even after selecting multiple messages:
It wouldn't make sense to display the buttons as long as the functionality is not implemented in Thunderbird: There are several bug reports / enhancement requests in bugzilla, some dating back to 1999/2000:
Bug 17479 - Multi-forward (N messages each with 1 attachment)
Bug 30486 - [Feature]Reply/forward to multiple messages in the same message
Bug 84131 - Forwarding multiple e-mails to single/multiple recipients
Bug 401479 - Forward inline of multiple selected messages as a single e-mail
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

For me it seems that the CompactHeader add-on has issues coordinating a header after the Thunderbrowse add-on is installed in it's current state and when RSS reading. The header seems to briefly flash on the screen and then disappears. When ComapctHeader is uninstalled I get the same flashing of header in the RSS mode. So it doesn't appear to be a CompactHeader issue that I can tell.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

GMBF wrote:For me it seems that the CompactHeader add-on has issues coordinating a header after the Thunderbrowse add-on is installed in it's current state and when RSS reading. The header seems to briefly flash on the screen and then disappears. When ComapctHeader is uninstalled I get the same flashing of header in the RSS mode. So it doesn't appear to be a CompactHeader issue that I can tell.

Sorry I cannot reproduce this. Could you please give some more information:
  • The version of Thunderbird you are using (Build ID)
  • The versin of ThunderBrowse
  • The RSS feed
For me it seems to work. At least the header is displayed. What is not working is, that the link in the header of a "RSS message" (website: XXX) cannot be opened by ThunderBrowse. But this seems independent of the installation of CompactHeader.

If it's not related to CompactHeader you might want to file a bug at http://thunderbrowse.com/bugreport/

There is a thread at mozillazine.org about the newest version (3.2.6.3) of ThunderBrowse.
GMBF

Post by GMBF »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Thunderbird/3.0b3 (Build ID - 20090715140311)

thunderbrowse-3.2.6.3-tb.xpi

http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews

So there may be some dependence on how things are configured - version, etc as to the end result one sees.
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

>>verify they are using version 1.0.8 of my theme, and 0.4.1 of CompactHeader?

Correct.

If I disable the compactheader, for a single message I get buttons with icons inside, and with multiple messages I still get only an archive button (no icon) and a small blank square button with no label at all that is for trash.

Also, why don't the icons have titles on mouseover? Only the trash icon says "delete". I don't find the icons very distinguishable myself. The archive one is pretty bad, and reply/forward should be more distinct.

(By the way, the text button with icon inside does not leave any room between the icon and the text. Needs 1-2px of space added.)
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
neandr

Post by neandr »

Great work!
Just returned from holiday finding a link at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=466025 which points to this extension ... big progress, congratulation!!!
How does it match with Bryan's work?

Three points I would like to see:
1\ as the buttons are not part of a toolbar they are configured with an extra dialog, fine with that. But how to add a menu item to the [Other actions v] pull down menu to call that extra dialog? Would make it an easier access for configuring the options.

2\ how about adding the [Add star]. This could go to the pull down [Other actions v] menu.

3\ and having something for tagging? The first could be shown left to [Other actions v]. If there are more just add like this: [Urgent, etc] or shorter [Urgent, ...]. A tooltip could give them all and context menu would give the 'normal' pull down menu as with [Message] --> [Tag]

Anyway, this is a big step to a very welcomed solution.
Günter
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

neandr wrote:Great work!
Just returned from holiday finding a link at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=466025 which points to this extension ... big progress, congratulation!!!
How does it match with Bryan's work?

I didn't know this work.

neandr wrote:Three points I would like to see:
1\ as the buttons are not part of a toolbar they are configured with an extra dialog, fine with that. But how to add a menu item to the [Other actions v] pull down menu to call that extra dialog? Would make it an easier access for configuring the options.

2\ how about adding the [Add star]. This could go to the pull down [Other actions v] menu.

I added these two items to the "Other Actions" menu in version 0.4.3.

neandr wrote:3\ and having something for tagging? The first could be shown left to [Other actions v]. If there are more just add like this: [Urgent, etc] or shorter [Urgent, ...]. A tooltip could give them all and context menu would give the 'normal' pull down menu as with [Message] --> [Tag]

I am not sure that it is a good idea to add even more stuff to the header plane. Why not develop a new icon for the toolbar? Actually there is already a toolbar icon "Mark" with a pulldown menu which includes e.g. "Add Star".
neandr

Post by neandr »

I added these two items to the "Other Actions" menu in version 0.4.3.

Thanks, fast that response ;-)

neandr wrote:3\ and having something for tagging? The first could be shown left to [Other actions v]. If there are more just add like this: [Urgent, etc] or shorter [Urgent, ...]. A tooltip could give them all and context menu would give the 'normal' pull down menu as with [Message] --> [Tag]

jmozmoz wrote:I am not sure that it is a good idea to add even more stuff to the header plane. Why not develop a new icon for the toolbar? Actually there is already a toolbar icon "Mark" with a pulldown menu which includes e.g. "Add Star".

Yes, there is a [Mark] icon, but that's for the main toolbar. All your works -- I think -- is about having a new "expanded header" so to have direct op's back (as they were omitted with the core product). The reason to omit was also to clear the main toolbar and get the different ops closer to the mail itself. So the 'mature' [Mark] shouldn't be used here. With your concept it would be natural to have the [Mark] also with your expanded header. But yes, you are right feeling the header would become overloaded. So I promoted to show the first one only with extending if there are more.

But the Tagging isn't touched with all of this. (At least for me) it's an important feature!! So we should think about how to add it to the compact header,
p l e a s e.

Another note:
I would like to see the pull down a bit reorganized:

Code: Select all

+---------------------------+
|   Add Star                |
|   Save as ...             |
|   View Source             |
|   ---------------   (a line to separte the next items)
|   Hide Details      (OK, also it's already there with +/- to the very left edge of the header)
|   Preferences for Header  |
+---------------------------+

Günter
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x