What happened to BugMeNot???

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

bgm wrote:jacksmernov: what about a config screen where you can specify a list of urls to data sources (xml format?). Once a day or week or something the list of accounts is grabbed and cached locally. The plugin could try the local cache and if no go then use the current bugmenot popup method. I'd be happy to publish a list of sorts to get things going. One question though- is there a good way to stop target sites reading these lists too?

Yeah, if you provided xml documents I would use them in the extension. I figure i can take apart an RSS extention to figure out how to use it. I'm looking at one now and it looks like there is a way to get the info without that ugly popup comming up every time. I'd be nice if there were a few mirrors of the bugmenot server or even independent sites.

I can't think of a good way to obscure these extra servers. If the bugmenot extension can read the list then so can the black hats. Even if we ecyipted the info, the extension would have to unencrypt it. and being open source anyone could open it up and use the unencrypt code.

We might try having some sort of trusted proxy setup. We could have a bunch of smaller servers that would act as a go between between the user and the bugmenot servers. That way it would be dificult for a user to know the location of any of the bugmenot servers. Having servers that are really just go betweens means that if later we figure out how to host the database on some sort of p2p network, we would not have to requre the user to install any new software. hrm.. i really don't know.. this idea could just compound the server problems were having now
bgm

Post by bgm »

If we allow the end user to specify their own, multiple login sources then online communities could maintain their own lists of logins and share them about.

This approach would be nearly impossible to shutdown assuming there was no automated way of finding all the account feeds (google?).

Bugmenot could assist in either providing a motherload of logins to begin with or by acting as a kind of fallback mechanism when no login is found in the other lists.

What do you think?
dwayrynen

Post by dwayrynen »

bgm wrote:Thanks for the help everyone- I've found a host and should be back within 24-48 hours. I'd still like a more robust solution to the hosting problem if anyone can help.

At present the site is seeing 10,000 to 15,000 unique visitors per day. Needs around 250MB space including logs and everything and is chewing through 5GB-10GB bandwidth per month. I expect these figure to keep growing over time.

jacksmernov: what about a config screen where you can specify a list of urls to data sources (xml format?). Once a day or week or something the list of accounts is grabbed and cached locally. The plugin could try the local cache and if no go then use the current bugmenot popup method. I'd be happy to publish a list of sorts to get things going. One question though- is there a good way to stop target sites reading these lists too?

bgm - contact me offline - darin@deru.net - we'll set you up with a hosting account that will be a bit harder for someone to pressure you to take down. We'll at least buy time until the extension can be modified to work in a distributed fashion.

What's scary is that nearlyfreespeach.net is a friend of mine - are you just now switching to him, or did you get shut down from him???

Darin
bgm

Post by bgm »

Bugmenot is sorted!

Thanks to Darin and the awesome folk over at http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net we shouldn't have any more hosting problems.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

How about including the list as part of a separate download or part of the extension, with regular updates? Heck, you could start a subscription. That, or my bittorrent idea, where everyone shares the data.
phildoggity

dodgeit / bugmenot

Post by phildoggity »

KB1GHC wrote:well, until bugmenot i back, i'll need to use http://www.dodgeit.com

Wow, I'm flattered! I created dodgeit.com and only checked out this thread because I was wondering where my favorite service bugmenot had gone! Glad to see another bugmenot user finds dodgeit useful.

bgm - sounds like you've found your host, but if you get sick of dealing with all the hosting stuff maybe we can work something out. I have 120gig/mo xfer across 2 dedicated servers at my disposal and I don't use all of it for dodgeit (not even half). If you wanted to throw up a donations page I'd split with you 50/50. Donations don't pay all the bills at dodgeit, but they do help pay the bandwidth bills. In my opinion, a good service with no revenue model (ads, donations, etc) will never survive b/c it will be a victim of its own success. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

Phil
edistokitty

nearlyfreespeach.net

Post by edistokitty »

Thanks bmg and Darian for the pointer to nearlyfreespeach.net. I have been looking into hosting plans and I believe I have myself a winner!
edistokitty

Post by edistokitty »

Hey! I just went to visit bugmenot since it is back up and was perusing the FAQs. Both links to Tutorials send you to http://www.micetrap.net/shop/catalog/default.php. That's not right.
bgm

Post by bgm »

thanks - sorted.
shevegen666

Post by shevegen666 »

"This will not prevent all attempts to retrieve your posted info"
Well shooting at the blue with my eyes blind, but cant you let apache and php combo deny robot requests easily?
Anyway maybe a cool idea would be to have some alternative hosts which could provide hosting of bugmenot for example 2 weeks, in case one host would go down, another one could jump in at once filling the hole.

PS: I like PHP5+XML
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I was under the impression, from a few messages here and elsewhere, that BugMeNot was working again.

However, I've tried eight or ten sites and get nothing at all, not even a blink from my modem lights.

I'm using BugMeNot 0.5, Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040821 Firefox/0.9.1+ (Windows XP Home).

I place the cursor in a box at a site, right-click, click on "BugMeNot," and nothing happens.

Any idea(s) as to why 0.5 does not work for me; 0.4 did? I've tried the 0.5 options, no luck at all.

Perhaps BugMeNot is now really "LetUsBugJohn"?
papaoom

Post by papaoom »

John Liebson..

Just did the steps you outlined (for <abbr title="ajc.com">*****</abbr>) and got the popup with the info all filled in...
had placed the cursor in the first box for the sign-in...

Even went to BugMeNot without a problem from New England...

It could be the DNS has not yet propogated to your ISP ...
or you may reconsider re-installing bugmenot to see if that helps...
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

papaoom wrote:John Liebson..

Just did the steps you outlined (for <abbr title="ajc.com">*****</abbr>) and got the popup with the info all filled in...
had placed the cursor in the first box for the sign-in...

Even went to BugMeNot without a problem from New England...

It could be the DNS has not yet propogated to your ISP ...
or you may reconsider re-installing bugmenot to see if that helps...

Thanks--that's what I would have expected to happen when I tried it, too.

I've removed/reinstalled 0.5, to no avail.

I, too, can get to ButMeNot; while there, I entered the NY Times URL, which provided me log-on information.

Given that New Mexico is often considered not to be a part of the United States, perhaps it is that BugMeNot does not accept foreign entries.... Perhaps I should return to New England, where I went to college and later taught?

Again, thanks--I'll wait a day or two, see what transpires/expires/respires.
jacksmernov

Post by jacksmernov »

There was an issue with the extension and the new bugmenot server. The new server required the "www" were as the old bugmenot extention just looked for http://bugmenot.com. Make sure your getting the latest bugmenot extension. Get it here

http://extensions.roachfiend.com/index.html#bugmenot

It's dated the 20th of august
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

jacksmernov wrote:There was an issue with the extension and the new bugmenot server. The new server required the "www" were as the old bugmenot extention just looked for http://bugmenot.com. Make sure your getting the latest bugmenot extension. Get it here

http://extensions.roachfiend.com/index.html#bugmenot

It's dated the 20th of august

That is the release I've installed. I just tried it again, and nothing happens, not even a blink of the modem lights.

[EDIT] As I suspected, the problem is interference with another extension: Set TBE to Single Window Mode, BugMeNot stops working.
Last edited by John Liebson on August 27th, 2004, 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.