Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
zamula

Re: New addon to compact header plane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by zamula »

stylo~ wrote:>>verify they are using version 1.0.8 of my theme, and 0.4.1 of CompactHeader?

Correct.

If I disable the compactheader, for a single message I get buttons with icons inside, and with multiple messages I still get only an archive button (no icon) and a small blank square button with no label at all that is for trash.

Also, why don't the icons have titles on mouseover? Only the trash icon says "delete". I don't find the icons very distinguishable myself. The archive one is pretty bad, and reply/forward should be more distinct.

(By the way, the text button with icon inside does not leave any room between the icon and the text. Needs 1-2px of space added.)

Okay, I think most of this is TB3 core code related and can't really be fixed without more knowledge of how it all works. There is code somewhere to display the trash icon with hover text (outside of my theme and this extension), and I do not know how through simple CSS to add mouseover text. Again, I want to emphasize I did very little to alter the base theme other than a few CSS changes and adding back the old icons, so it's very hard to resolve problems, especially ones I can't reproduce.

Regarding the loss of the icon with multiple messages, I don't see this problem and haven't heard hints from anyone else with what might be the cause.
stylo~

Post by stylo~ »

>>through simple CSS to add mouseover text

No, not possible. But it must be possible to have the icons show rather than buttons.

Am I the only person who has lost the trash button label on multiple messages? I have no custom code.

>>in version 0.4.3.

Why don't new versions come up when checking for addon updates in TB?
"...doing justice only where we praise,
because we are the branch, the iron blade,
and sweet danger, ripening from within."
neandr

Post by neandr »

Here is an example with a resorted [other actions] menu .. including also the tagging.
http://img407.imageshack.us/i/compacthe ... le043.jpg/

Code change is here:

Code: Select all

<vbox id="expandedHeaders" flex="1">
   <vbox id="otherHeadersAndButtonsBox" flex="1">
      <vbox id="otherActionsBox" align="end">

<button type="menu" id="otherActionsButton" label="&otherActionsButton.label;"
            class="msgHeaderView-button msgHeaderView-flat-button">
            <menupopup id="otherActionsPopup" onpopupshowing="InitMessageMark()">
               <menuitem id="mailContext-markFlagged" type="checkbox"
                  label="&markStarredCmd.label;" accesskey="&markStarredCmd.accesskey;"
                  command="cmd_markAsFlagged" key="key_toggleFlagged" />                        

<menu id="tagMenu" label="&tagMenu.label;" accesskey="&tagMenu.accesskey;" command="cmd_tag">
                  <menupopup id="mailContext-tagpopup" onpopupshowing="InitMessageTags(this)">
                     <menuitem id="mailContext-tagRemoveAll" oncommand="RemoveAllMessageTags();" />
                     <menuseparator id="mailContext-sep-afterTagRemoveAll" />
                     <menuseparator id="mailContext-sep-beforeAddNewTag" />
                     <menuitem id="addNewTag" label="&addNewTag.label;"
                        accesskey="&addNewTag.accesskey;" oncommand="AddTag();" />
                  </menupopup>
               </menu>                     

<menuseparator />
               <menuitem id="hideDetailsMenu" label="&hideDetailsButton.label;"
                  oncommand="coheToggleHeaderView();" />
               <menuitem id="hidecohePreferencesButton" label="&dialog.title;"
                  oncommand="openDialog('chrome://CompactHeader/content/preferences.xul', 'prefs', 'chrome,resizable=no');" />
            </menupopup>
         </button>
      </vbox>
   </vbox>
</vbox>
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x
zamula

Post by zamula »

stylo~ wrote:>>through simple CSS to add mouseover text

No, not possible. But it must be possible to have the icons show rather than buttons.

Am I the only person who has lost the trash button label on multiple messages? I have no custom code.

>>in version 0.4.3.

Why don't new versions come up when checking for addon updates in TB?

Unfortunately I don't know how to make the hover text show with code in my theme, but maybe the author of CompactHeader does.
And I think the reason the add-on doesn't get auto updates is because it's tagged as "experimental" in the mozilla repository.

I'd recommend moving any other questions about my classic theme back to its thread, and keep this one for CompactHeader only.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

stylo~ wrote:Why don't new versions come up when checking for addon updates in TB?

Experimental addons are not updated automatically as is explained here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375359
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Updating_extensions
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

neandr wrote:Here is an example with a resorted [other actions] menu .. including also the tagging.
http://img407.imageshack.us/i/compacthe ... le043.jpg/

I experimented a little bit. Here a two variants of the positioning the "Other Actions" ("Andere Aktionen") and the "Tag Menu" ("Schlagwörter").
Version 1:
Version 2:

The problem is: Either the box containing the menus (colored blue) goes up all the way to the top of the header plane and the space for the other header fields (especially for the subject) is reduced. Or there is an extra line at the bottom of the header plane containing only the menu(s).

What would be the preferable solution?

The rearrangement of the menuitems in the "Other Actions" menu is no problem and will be added in the next version.
neandr

Post by neandr »

Think the second version is better. I'm loooking forward to see how you have solved that, my tests to achieve that result wasn't that successful :twisted:

At the moment I'm experimenting with some other mods:

- get the View --> Headers --> All/Normal from the main toolbar into the [other actions] menu.
The problem here is: with the longer [All] choice the [other actions] menu moves to the bottom on the whole header area and outside of the view. Scrolling the header items scrolls also the buttons -- This it also the case using that function from the main toolbar. The initial version of "Ovidui" header solved that .. maybe we can get that also here ...

- the new version of the oviduiHeader.xpi by Bryan doesn't has the "twisty" button but a menu button at the right side. To me this looks better and seems to be more 'natural' .. that button is there for both modes: collapsed/normal just switch tooltiptext and arrow direction for it.

Günter
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I just noticed, that the images in my last post are not displayed fully. You have to choose View Image from the context menu in firefox to see it all.

Are you sure it is a good idea to wast so much space in the header plane?
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

neandr wrote:But the Tagging isn't touched with all of this. (At least for me) it's an important feature!! So we should think about how to add it to the compact header,
p l e a s e.

Another note:
I would like to see the pull down a bit reorganized:

+---------------------------+
|   Add Star                |
|   Save as ...             |
|   View Source             |
|   ---------------   (a line to separte the next items)
|   Hide Details      (OK, also it's already there with +/- to the very left edge of the header)
|   Preferences for Header  |
+---------------------------+

Günter

Should work in version 0.4.4
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

jmozmoz wrote:What would be the preferable solution?

I have this in my theme:

#otherActionsTopSpacer {
  display: none;
}

Then the 'other actions' menu is always directly under the Message header buttons (no jumping with all/normal headers). The Tag Menu can then be placed under the 'other actions' menu.
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
zamula

Post by zamula »

Paenglab wrote:I have this in my theme:

#otherActionsTopSpacer {
}

Then the 'other actions' menu is always directly under the Message header buttons (no jumping with all/normal headers). The Tag Menu can then be placed under the 'other actions' menu.

That is brilliant! Thanks for the contribution.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

Paenglab wrote:
jmozmoz wrote:What would be the preferable solution?

I have this in my theme:

#otherActionsTopSpacer {
}

But then there is still the problem that the horizontal space occupied by this button is not available to the other header entries (which hurts especially for the subject value).

In the newest version (0.4.4) I placed the buttons below the header fields, so that the full horizontal space is available to the header. Then I just shift the buttons manually up. Probably not the cleanest solution but it works.
Paenglab

Post by Paenglab »

jmozmoz wrote:But then there is still the problem that the horizontal space occupied by this button is not available to the other header entries (which hurts especially for the subject value).

In the newest version (0.4.4) I placed the buttons below the header fields, so that the full horizontal space is available to the header. Then I just shift the buttons manually up. Probably not the cleanest solution but it works.

Maybe you are interested in Bug 466025 where they are determine solutions of multiline subjects.

I tweaked your 0.4.4 with my proposal and it looks like this:
Nuvola theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
neandr

Post by neandr »

Paenglab wrote:I tweaked your 0.4.4 with my proposal and it looks like this:

Could you post your complete code somewhere, please ?? :D
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

With version 0.4.4 this code...

#menuLineBox{
   margin-top: -3em;
}

...is causing scrollbars to appear inside the expanded header view.

Can't the Tag button be placed inside the otherActionsBox (vbox) above the otherActionsButton instead of placing them both side-by-side inside an hbox that extends the entire horizontal width of the headers?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.