New Mozilla.org Website Beta

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
andkon

Post by andkon »

I don't want to be rude, but I think that Mozilla.org needs to focus first on content (replacing text, creating flash demos, making an overal userfriendly atmosphere, etc) before it creates a new design. As <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=116174">I said</a>, making a new design before the content is finalized is like painting a house before the walls are put in.
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

The two pictures of the firefox logo (on the products and firefox pages) are different. The "Make a donation" link on the products website is wrong.
Cabaal

Post by Cabaal »

There needs to be some kind of borders between firefox, thunderbird etc in the tech preview part of the main page it looks all thrown together without anything, other then that I like it especially the products page

I like the idea of Flash demo's, would be nice for people to see the benefits and add-ons for all versions of moz
baron

Post by baron »

In a high-resolution display, the pags is a stripe down the middle. Can't you make it fill the whole screen?
The margins are much too big. Use percent not pixels? (Maybe you did. I couldn't find it.)
Jon Baron
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Another screwy page - this probably is fixable the same way the Help page mentioned earlier is fixable.

http://website-beta.mozilla.org/project ... -style.php
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

By the way: there needs to be a bug to do a grep of the mozilla.org site tree for all instances of "www.mozilla.org" (perhaps "mozilla.org" instead, but that introduces even more chances of accidentally changing document text in addition to links). I've encountered several pages that are the old style because links to the pages have been hardcoded with the domain name. Links should probably all be relative to the top (i.e., "/" is toplevel, "/products/" is next, etc.).
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Before this redesign is released, you really need to address the bug reports (in Bugzilla) against the existing Web site. I wrote three that are not fixed in the new version: #251643, #253179, and #253302. While searching in Bugzilla to make sure these problems had not yet been reported, I found many others.

Also, the Site Map fails to show many interesting parts of the site. It's almost as if users should not see pages on security, the Mozilla community (my bug #253179), etc. The whole site should be exposed in the Site Map. Internal-use-only pages should be at a different domain.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

I don't know if you really want to convert it, but the page referenced below is completely out of whack.

http://website-beta.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Another thought: perhaps some tweaking to /favicon.ico? It might be too low an ROI, but after all, you're free to do what you want.
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

This page is either in mid-build or has no stylesheet:

http://website-beta.mozilla.org/products/camino/

Also, are you planning on running out something quick-n-easy to make bugzilla.org look vaguely similar to the beta website, or will it stay as it is?
bdeonline

Post by bdeonline »

All download links should say Free download like the one for mozilla 1.7 does. Its confusing to say that mozilla 1.7 is a Free download and the rest are just downloads like does that mean download for free or its shareware.
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

I liked the small images of the programs being ran on the old site. They should add those too.
tniem

The Title Image on the Mozilla 1.7.1 page...

Post by tniem »

The Title Image on the Mozilla 1.7.1 page should be changed. It should simply say 'Mozilla' not 'Mozilla 1.7.2' like it does on both the Firefox and Thunderbird sites. The reason for this is that when the latest entries come out - the text changes but often the picture did not. I believe at the .8 release of Firefox it changed to simply 'Firefox' because of the lag in creating images. Otherwise, keep knocking out the bugs but it looks good. Actually it looks really really sharp. I like it.
Jason_P

Post by Jason_P »

All right, two thoughts:

First, the header is beautiful. Great job, but I feel that the rest of the sight is a little too bland. I'm not saying it needs to be busy, but a hint of color could really liven the rest of the site up a little, IMO. There's also no real seperation between the sidebar and the main content. This can also make the site look a bit cluttered. Some kind of subtle seperation here might help. :)

Second, more on a general note, I think that there's a little too much text on the main page. People come to Mozilla.org and they are mainly thinking, "Allright, now where do I download this?" Maybe slightly more attention grabbing download links would be good.

Other wise, great work! :
Walter K

Brighter blue for the top bar?

Post by Walter K »

Great new design! It's much cleaner and looks slick.

I think there are a few things that can improve the new design which haven't been mentioned here.
- The blue background of the top navigation bar can be couple of shades lighter. Maybe use the color from FF logo globe's center or t-shirt's?
- Product pages have more than one link to different "donate" pages. Only one link should be enough.
- In IE6 (WinXP sp1, fully patched) bullets on FF and TB pages for Other Systems and Languages, System Requirements, and Release Notes are misaligned, i.e. one or two bullets themselves are moved to the right a whole bullet width.