FireFox CRASHES ALL THE TIME

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
finn4life

FireFox CRASHES ALL THE TIME

Post by finn4life »

my firefox crashes almost all the time now, a few times every hour, especially if i have a larger page open, if i have a large page open in a new tab, and then i close it, my firefox crashes, i have a few add-ons i use anycolour, the newest version, my fire fox is the latest, and i use firefox personas.

But yeah, it always crashes and its fricken ridiculous.
Dartman

Re: FireFoc CRASHES ALL THE TIME

Post by Dartman »

What large page are you referring to? Can you provide a link?

Does Firefox crash while in Firefox Safe Mode (not Windows Safe Mode)? See the following link.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
finn4life

Re: FireFox CRASHES ALL THE TIME

Post by finn4life »

Like i said it crashes even with the smallest pages open, but more often when i have a large page, or multiple tabs open.

not any particular page, safe mod im not sure.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Run it as long as you can in the safe-mode mode as Dartman suggested. If it works ok in that mode then it's most likely an addon causing the problems.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
takapo

Post by takapo »

I've been having the same problem. Crashing happens even in safe mode.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

cosmotopper

Post by cosmotopper »

I had to reload this link three times just to see your post. The "Try it in Safe Mode" line has been sounding rather lame for many months. It may be time to split off a set of sources (if anyone can find the last stable release) and see if Firefox can be rescued.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

cosmotopper...
I removed your 2nd/un-necessary post.
Please start your own thread if you're having problems.
Thank you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
cosmotopper

Post by cosmotopper »

LIMPET235 wrote:cosmotopper...
I removed your 2nd/un-necessary post.
Please start your own thread if you're having problems.
Thank you.

I've been reviewing many of the threads in this section, and there's a good case that multiple threads are obfuscating discussion of a fundamental problem with the primary Firefox codebase. So in order to try and de-fragment the discussion, I make posts in threads which may be related, so the originator of the thread has an opportunity to consider a larger context for the problem they are reporting. One person see's the problem when they use Gmail, and thinks it's a problem with Gmail, someone else thinks it's a function of 'big pages' vs. 'smaller pages', when in reality, it's the same basic issue: the stability and reliability of Firefox is eroding with each successive version.

There's independent proof of this as well. The frequency of minor version updates we've seen lately for Firefox clearly demonstrate that there are problems with the primary code. When you get a new version less than a week after the previous new version, the reason is obvious to anyone who's worked in software development: the developer's pre-release testing was inadequate, they found a significant bug, and had to scramble to get a new version out. And in the scramble to deal with last week's defect, they risk introducing new ones by rushing the latest fix out the door.

If you're job is to moderate a discussion of Firefox bugs, I would recommend looking for opportunities to consolidate related threads, rather than imperiously censoring discussion within existing ones.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

FYI....
The post I removed was simply a duplicate of the one above it.
Apparently, you were having trouble with posting at the time.
I have not "censored" anything or anyone.....yet.
I agree that a few are having trouble with the latest version but this is a support forum.
I'd appreciate you not posting all over the fora & not contributing anything to the discussion re; the fault.
BTW....AFAIK the new version was updated because of a security flaw.
Thank you.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
cosmotopper

Post by cosmotopper »

LIMPET235 wrote:FYI....
The post I removed was simply a duplicate of the one above it.
Apparently, you were having trouble with posting at the time.
I have not "censored" anything or anyone.....yet.
I agree that a few are having trouble with the latest version but this is a support forum.
I'd appreciate you not posting all over the fora & not contributing anything to the discussion re; the fault.
BTW....AFAIK the new version was updated because of a security flaw.
Thank you.

Indeed, I was having trouble posting at the time. If I posted the same thing twice, it probably happened during one of the frequent 'limbo states' that I'm encountering (since I'm still using FFox to access this forum.

I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this particular forum: "Firefox Bugs". If you're making a distinction between a "Support Forum" and reporting what appear to be bugs in the code itself, wouldn't this be the place to report and/or discuss "bugs", as opposed to providing "Howto" advice to users who are simply unfamiliar with how to use the browser? It sounds like any posting which alleges there might be a defect in Firefox (particularly those who express frustration at having to deal with said defects), are told their posting is inappropriate to this forum, and that they should report it to Bugzilla. If so, why have this section at all?

The reason I opted out of posting to Bugzilla was that I was repeatedly told the problems I was reporting were no doubt caused by one or another of the extensions I was using. In effect: "Shut up and go away..." (which I finally did). I opted in to Mozillazine because I thought a (purportedly) independent venue would have the opposite attitude, and would be inclined to act as an advocate for the users of the application.

Based on the responses I've received, as well as others I've read, it sounds like most of the moderators are hostile towards any suggestion that there might be systemic flaws in the codebase, and any "bugs" we might report are lapses in our knowledge of the proper use of Firefox. I stand corrected as to my assumptions going in. It's your website, and I have no desire to challenge your stewardship of the forums.
finn4life

Post by finn4life »

i have cleaned out my add-ons and tried it, still crashes all the damn time, all the time im saying.

i think this needs to be fixed something needs to be done, safe mode it crashes as well.

when i close firefox i get the stupid crash reporter pop-up.

I think there needs to be a fix for something, its not add-ons causing it, it is firefox.
finn4life

Post by finn4life »

i even re-downloaded it, it is exactly the same.

firefox is a great browser, just stop it crashing.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Type about:crashes in the address bar and copy a couple of the reports links.

Also, what is your anti-virus and Firewall.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

finn4life wrote:i even re-downloaded it, it is exactly the same.

firefox is a great browser, just stop it crashing.

It could be some bad structure in your profile...have you tried a new one to test with?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

Reinstalling FF over the current one will not fix anything if the problem is profile related. In order to properly reinstall FF one has to uninstall it first and then also make sure that all Mozilla dirs/files have been deleted prior to a new install... backing up your profile first...if you want to keep anything from it.

Note:... "cleaning out your addons" (if in fact it's an addon problem) will leave config entries around so if it is a bad addon the fact that you cleaned it out may not resolve the problem.

It may look like there are tons of people posting this problem but remember that when you really count the number of like-problems posted they are very few versus the millions of FF users with no problems... including myself... with 43 addons running fine.

Also, do you have answers from Loudnoise's request?