Cannot Login with Thunderbird!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
TreeGo

Cannot Login with Thunderbird!

Post by TreeGo »

Why will Thunderbird not let me retrieve mail from my account; I've double-checked all my settings.

My domain is charter.net; incoming server is pop.charter.net.

Thunderbird reads my login address as ######.pop.charter.net instead of #####.charter.net.

I have Mozilla Mail already on my system with all the same server settings, but at least Mozilla Mail lets me retrieve my mail......

Is Thunderbird able to do this? I just downloaded the 4/23 build.
SafeZone84

Post by SafeZone84 »

I was having a similar problem i think
my IMAP account worked fine, but my pop account wouldn't login no matter what I tried
TreeGo

Post by TreeGo »

Wow! That's a major bug!
SafeZone84

Post by SafeZone84 »

yea at first i thought it was just the machine i was on, but i just downloaded the 4/23 nightly on a different machine at home, and got the same problem. Can't login to pop mail.

hopefully this will be fixed in the next nightly as it is slightly annoying
mscott

Post by mscott »

According to netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news there was a major bug for POP users in the April 23rd trunk build involving a CRAM MD5 failure:

"The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server x.y.com responded: CRAM
authentication failed. "

Apparently it has since been fixed on the trunk so the next Thunderbird build should have this fixed too

[Edit: this was http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203219]
Thunderbirds are Go!
phubert

same login problem using the latest 2003-06-03? Windows .zip

Post by phubert »

my email address/username for SBC DSL is phubert@sbcglobal.net
my pop server is pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Mozilla mail AND Thunderbird are failing to log me in.

It appears both are trying to use phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
where they should be using
phubert@sbcglobal.net

I was poking around in configuration settings to see if this could be set explicitly, but haven't found anything.
A discrete profile setting would fix this problem.
Any ideas??
In the meantime I must use web access only .. a little inconvenient with no local machine mail store!!
phubert
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

mscott wrote:According to netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news there was a major bug for POP users in the April 23rd trunk build involving a CRAM MD5 failure:

"The PASS command did not succeed. Mail server x.y.com responded: CRAM
authentication failed. "

Apparently it has since been fixed on the trunk so the next Thunderbird build should have this fixed too

[Edit: this was http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203219]

Which might be when? :twisted:
Gord McFee
phubert

Eudora 5.0 works

Post by phubert »

I never liked Eudora, but had it on hand (installed/removed/installed again!) & found it works with a slight tweak .. didn't look like it should, however!
phubert
DizzyWeb

Re: same login problem using the latest 2003-06-03? Windows

Post by DizzyWeb »

phubert wrote:my email address/username for SBC DSL is phubert@sbcglobal.net
my pop server is pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Mozilla mail AND Thunderbird are failing to log me in.

It appears both are trying to use phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
where they should be using
phubert@sbcglobal.net

I was poking around in configuration settings to see if this could be set explicitly, but haven't found anything.
A discrete profile setting would fix this problem.
Any ideas??
In the meantime I must use web access only .. a little inconvenient with no local machine mail store!!

phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com is correct.
That is NOT your e-mail adress, but [username]@[mailserver]. It means it's contacting pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com and sends username "phubert", wich is correct.

It's a problem allright, but this isn't it.
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
phubert

Post by phubert »

My point, however, is that when I access my SBC mail via their web interface, the USERNAME they require is: phubert@sbcglobal.net.

I commented that Eudora worked .. Bzzzzt! It managed to authenticate to the POP server correctly, but failed to authenticate to the SMTP server ...

Eudora authenticated to the POP server when I changed my username in its configuration to: phubert@sbcglobal.net.

It then displayed the sequence:
phubert@sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
& correctly asked for the password, after which it connected & downloaded mail...

Now I need to look at Thunderbird to see how I change my username as above & try that ... there may be other issues (my firewall/router, changes to the SBC server names ...)
phubert
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

phubert wrote:My point, however, is that when I access my SBC mail via their web interface, the USERNAME they require is: phubert@sbcglobal.net.

I commented that Eudora worked .. Bzzzzt! It managed to authenticate to the POP server correctly, but failed to authenticate to the SMTP server ...

Eudora authenticated to the POP server when I changed my username in its configuration to: phubert@sbcglobal.net.

It then displayed the sequence:
phubert@sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
& correctly asked for the password, after which it connected & downloaded mail...

Now I need to look at Thunderbird to see how I change my username as above & try that ... there may be other issues (my firewall/router, changes to the SBC server names ...)

What you're saying is that, when you change your username to phubert@sbcglobal.net it still says phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com, instead of phubert@sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com? Or am I mistaken?
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
phubert

Post by phubert »

A little mistaken.

In Eudora, UNLESS I change my username to phubert@sbcglobal.net, Eudora fails to authenticate with the SBC pop server.

When username is "phubert" Eudora indicates it needs a password for "phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" .. here the correct password fails on invalid userid/password.

When username is "phubert@sbcglobal.net" Eudora indicates it needs a password for "phubert@sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" .. here the same password is accepted.

So, I am wondering if a similar situation exists for Thunderbird without any ability to "adjust its thinking" (specific configuration setting)

Now, it may well be that SBC is the real problem here. They have their own setup and only support Windows/Mac and only Netscape 4.7x, 6 & 7 and IE.

I WAS connecting with Mozilla mail in the 1.3 release.

I can't verify that nothing has changed on the SBC side. The tech said no, but I KNOW I had been using a different name for the POP/SMTP servers!

At this point, the outgoing SMTP connection fails in Eudora with the above configuration. Mozilla mail didn't ask for passwords after the very first connection (kept alive by the router?) and never asked for SMTP authentication (undoubtedly my fault in configuring Eudora?). Hey, I really don't know ANYTHING about this any longer!!

Other issue: I changed my proxy settings to "connect directly to internet" instead of pointing to my router's IP address. THIS appeared to enable my BROWSER to function.
phubert
Jashugan

Post by Jashugan »

phubert wrote:A little mistaken.

In Eudora, UNLESS I change my username to phubert@sbcglobal.net, Eudora fails to authenticate with the SBC pop server.

When username is "phubert" Eudora indicates it needs a password for "phubert@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" .. here the correct password fails on invalid userid/password.

When username is "phubert@sbcglobal.net" Eudora indicates it needs a password for "phubert@sbcglobal.net@pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" .. here the same password is accepted.

This is how Thunderbird works. Enter "phubert@sbcglobal.net" as the username. I have to enter my complete address as the username no matter what client I use: Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird.

phubert wrote:At this point, the outgoing SMTP connection fails in Eudora with the above configuration. Mozilla mail didn't ask for passwords after the very first connection (kept alive by the router?) and never asked for SMTP authentication (undoubtedly my fault in configuring Eudora?). Hey, I really don't know ANYTHING about this any longer!!

You might have to authenticate when sending outgoing messages. For "Outgoing Server (SMTP)", check the box that says "Use name and password" and enter "phubert@sbcglobal.net" as the username.
phubert

Post by phubert »

Jashugan,

O.K. so I'm DENSE. Yep, works FINE. Tho, the message content display window had a little problem .. but for Alpha software this stuff is VERY good!

Thanks to all for the PATIENCE!!!
phubert