Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
peterlairo

Re: New addon to compact header plane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by peterlairo »

First: I love this add-on!

A few suggestions from version 0.4.5:

• The subject should be left-aligned with the sender.
  • The "other actions" button should be right-aligned with the right-most button (usually the Trash button).
  • The default preferences should be:
    • Display two lines
    • Show only icons inside buttons
    • Buttons shown:
      • Reply All
      • Forward
      • Trash
  • Tags should also be shown in the compact view - possibly between the recipient and the buttons.
  • There should be separate [Reply] and [Reply All] buttons that are both always visible. The automatic Reply-All is especially annoying.
  • Upgrade the version number of your add-on to 1.0 because it's already light-years better than Thunderbird 2s or 3s headers! :wink:
Regards,
Peter Lairo
zamula

Post by zamula »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
Paenglab wrote:@L.A.R. Grizzly and stylo~
Have you this multimessage view tested with CompactHeader disabled? If there is still no icon, it's not a problem of CompactHeader.
I checked with DOM Inspector and saw no reference to CompactHeader style sheets.

I disabled TB Classic and CompactHeader. The problem still exists. Your TB Classic is what is killing the trash icon. It reappeared after disabling the theme.

I agree it's definitely not CompactHeader. But on my machine, I see icons for both the archive and trash buttons when using the classic theme. I have no idea what's causing it. Maybe someone with some more theme experience can look at my changes and figure out the cause. I'll also try creating a new profile on another machine to see if I can reproduce it when I get a chance. But unfortunately it might be something we have to live with for a while.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

peterlairo wrote:First: I love this add-on!

Thank you!

A few suggestions from version 0.4.5:

• The subject should be left-aligned with the sender.
  • The "other actions" button should be right-aligned with the right-most button (usually the Trash button).

I tried to achieve this in version 0.4.6.
  • The default preferences should be:
    • Display two lines
    • Show only icons inside buttons
    • Buttons shown:
      • Reply All
      • Forward
      • Trash

• Actually I like the single line view more, so I kept this as default. :wink: The only icons is now the default. All buttons are shown now as default. I would like to give people a change to get to know to the Archive button.
  • Tags should also be shown in the compact view - possibly between the recipient and the buttons.

• I follow the development of Bugzila bug 466025 and will probably add something following this example when bug 513319 gets included in Thunderbird.
  • There should be separate [Reply] and [Reply All] buttons that are both always visible. The automatic Reply-All is especially annoying.

• There is bug 248681 at Bugzilla about this (or a related) subject. But I may follow your suggestions in a future version.
  • Upgrade the version number of your add-on to 1.0 because it's already light-years better than Thunderbird 2s or 3s headers! :wink:

• There are still some things in my ToDO list I would like to polish off before I will jump.
    CatThief

Post by CatThief »

In reference to the above, specifically "The automatic Reply-All is especially annoying.", I believe this is the program default for which the extension is not responsible.

In addition, "Tags should also be shown in the compact view" is something that adds clutter. Clutter defeats the purpose of the headers being compact.

In my own opinion, jmozmoz has included as well as excluded the appropriate features and defaults, especially in keeping the single line view as default.

Just my own 2-cents. :wink:

Keep up the good work!
    Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
    jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

I added bug 513553 to track all changes in the header plane of Thunderbird 3
    DonGato

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by DonGato »

First of all thanks for doing what Mozilla devs should have done from the start.

I found a funny issue with this add-on and my theme. I think that it's useless to have the action buttons in the message dialog as you already have the actions in the left part of the toolbar so I went ahead and disabled them by adding this code to messageWindow.css:

Code: Select all

#collapsedButtonBox,
    #expandedButtonBox {
      display: none;
    }

The problem appears when using the expanded view and having too many recipients that the "more" text shows up. When you click more you see the header changing the sizing every second (like the style jumps between a padding and another). I hope my explanation is understandable as I don't know how to show it in a screenshot.
    KonstantinDK

Post by KonstantinDK »

DIdn't quite get it right in the comments.
    The addons is great. The only thing stopping me from using it 100% of the time is that I want to know the email adress of a sender, not just his name. For security purposes and out of curiocity: what domain is his email at.
    jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

DonGato wrote:I found a funny issue with this add-on and my theme. I think that it's useless to have the action buttons in the message dialog as you already have the actions in the left part of the toolbar so I went ahead and disabled them by adding this code to messageWindow.css:

Code: Select all

#collapsedButtonBox,
    #expandedButtonBox {
      display: none;
    }

You can get the same effect by switching off all icons in the options dialog (either: Tools->Add-ons->CompactHeader->Options or: "other actions"->CompactHeader Preferences.

The problem appears when using the expanded view and having too many recipients that the "more" text shows up. When you click more you see the header changing the sizing every second (like the style jumps between a padding and another). I hope my explanation is understandable as I don't know how to show it in a screenshot.

There are (at least) two bugs about the "more" text in bugzilla:
    bug 473834
    bug 499989
    Is your observation related to these topics? Does your problem only appear if the CompactHeader add-on is installed?
    DonGato

Post by DonGato »

No, I think it's related to this add-on as the TB3 solution doesn't provide icons in the message dialog and disabling your add-on fixes the issue.
    jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

KonstantinDK wrote:DIdn't quite get it right in the comments.
    The addons is great. The only thing stopping me from using it 100% of the time is that I want to know the email adress of a sender, not just his name. For security purposes and out of curiocity: what domain is his email at.

Added to version 0.5.1
    L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

jmozmoz wrote:
    KonstantinDK wrote:The only thing stopping me from using it 100% of the time is that I want to know the email adress of a sender, not just his name.

Added to version 0.5.1

Nice addition. Now I don't have to expand the header to right click and create a filter! Bravo! =D>
    Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
    Comodo Internet Security
    Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
    jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

DonGato wrote:No, I think it's related to this add-on as the TB3 solution doesn't provide icons in the message dialog and disabling your add-on fixes the issue.

I haven't been able to reproduce this until now. I will wait with working on this problem until the issues in Thunderbird itself will be resolved regarding the "more" button.
    GMBF

Post by GMBF »

First of all I would like to commend you on the progress you have made with this add-on.

Now that you have the "linkify" code integrated into the add- on I was hoping you could address the "copy link location" function. My understanding for this kind of control is that it would be used to copy the link info (URL address) instead of the text that describes the link. Currently it is copying the link description.

I also would suggest an option ( I believe you have 2 of the 3 possible so far ) for the email address only. I generally would like to see Thunderbird maintain the ability to view things in the context of the email address only - e.g. a column for the inbox view. I am just one of those that also thinks that a focus on the email address sometimes can be more useful when managing messages.

Good luck and keep up the great work.
    jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

GMBF wrote:Now that you have the "linkify" code integrated into the add- on I was hoping you could address the "copy link location" function. My understanding for this kind of control is that it would be used to copy the link info (URL address) instead of the text that describes the link. Currently it is copying the link description.

Fixed in 0.5.2.

I also would suggest an option ( I believe you have 2 of the 3 possible so far ) for the email address only. I generally would like to see Thunderbird maintain the ability to view things in the context of the email address only - e.g. a column for the inbox view. I am just one of those that also thinks that a focus on the email address sometimes can be more useful when managing messages.

Sorry, but I do not exactly understand what you mean. Could you explain this in more detail or draw a sketch?
    GMBF

Post by GMBF »

Regarding my email address suggestion,
    the "from" in an email header now appears as:
    1)Name Sender
    or
    2)Name Sender<name.sender@domain>

in some situations I would like it to appear as:
    3)name.sender@domain (note currently hovering over "Name Sender" shows email address)

Hope that helps make it clearer.