Connection to server timeout

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aquablues

Connection to server timeout

Post by aquablues »

Hello and thanks in advance for any help...!
I have been using Thunderbird nicely for 2 years and now I am getting a sudden "connection to server timed out" message.
Based on previous posting and searches, I tried several things and also here is my info:

* Which version of Thunderbird? 2.0.0.23
* What operating system? Vista 32-bit SP2
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving? "connection to server pop.bizmail.yahoo.com timed out"
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones? McAfee Antivirus and Windows Firewall with mozilla tb added to the list of OKayed programs
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Yes, automatic compacting and manual, daily
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings? pop.bizmail.yahoo.com Port 995 SSL on
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) >*server*> smtp.yahoo.com Port 465, SSL, secure connection
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant? see below

I tried pretty much everything... checked the console for timeout commands, no luck.
Tried with or without McAfee, no difference.
Tried resetting thunderbird.exe -p and no luck.
The list goes on...

But, here's the tidbit: everything WORKS when I connect to the internet via a "faster" connection, such as a public wifi system or a wifi-cabled system... when I use my iPhone as a tethered internet access, then it DOES NOT work.
I suspected it was due to the kb capacity / speed of the iPhone tethering connection, but the dl speed is 1.8MB, so it's fast enough.
Yet, I am guessing there is something going on with the settings of my "ethernet LAN iphone tethering connection".

This being said, keep in mind: everything worked (including with the iphone tethering) until it decided not to... all of a sudden, no new software added, etc. Nothing "significant" in changes.

Basically, to sum it all up: TB works 100% with a std. wifi / cable internet access but does not work with a tethered ethernet connection. Any idea what to change on said tethered connection?

Thanks again for your help!!
DanRaisch

Re: Connection to server timeout

Post by DanRaisch »

Try increasing the timeout value in Thunderbird -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Modify_Thunderbird_settings
aquablues

Post by aquablues »

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I had tried that and tried again, but I see no relevant timeout line (no relevant timeout item, such as server.timeout, etc.).
I just tried a new thunderbird.exe -p command and reinstalled all backed up files and now, TB works again...
Really not sure what's going on...!!
but I will take it for now.
Thanks again!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.

If, just out of curiosity, you want to look again for the timeout value the full name is network.http.keep-alive.timeout.
turfman

Post by turfman »

I am having the same problems as everyone else. I started using Thunderbird last week and now (5 days later) I can't get my email!

Thunderbird - 2.00.23
OS - Vista
Error Msg = server.pop.company name.com time out
Antivirus = Sympatico Security (I have disabled it and still nothing!)
I compacted - still nothing!

The reason I changed to TB was because my IT guys said my Vista Mail email program was corrupt and had to find another. So I downloaded TB. What I was doing prior to TB was contacting my server and asking them to delete the email that was holding everything. Once they would do that I'd get my mail. But I can't keep asking them to do that!

I need help!!! This is my work email and need it desperately!!!!!

Thanks,
Elmtree57
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

turfman,
These connection problems have many different variables. Because of this, these topics can get very confused if more than one person is helped. Please start a new topic so we can help both of you better. Thanks.