Java & Snow Leopard

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

humanbeing

Re: Camino 1.6.9 Released!

Post by humanbeing »

According to

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Camino 1.6.9 is NOT completely compatible with Snow Leopard.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

humanbeing wrote:According to

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Camino 1.6.9 is NOT completely compatible with Snow Leopard.

The version of the Java Embedding Plugin that ships with Camino 1.6.x and 2.0b3 is incompatible with Java on Mac OS X 10.6, so visiting any sites with Java applets will cause Camino to crash.

Nightly builds have a compatible Java Embedding Plugin.

Users of Camino 1.6.9 who need Java need to remove the Java Embedding Plugin (JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle and MRJPlugin.plugin) from inside the Camino bundle (Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins) and install the same two files from the newer Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.2 into ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins.

There's now a small AppleScript app to automate installing the newer JEP in Camino 1.6.9 or 2.0b3: Install JEP for 10.6
Simply drag your copy of Camino on the "Install JEP for 10.6" icon and the app will do the rest.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
humanbeing

Post by humanbeing »

Uncle Asad wrote:Users of Camino 1.6.9 who need Java need to remove the Java Embedding Plugin (JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle and MRJPlugin.plugin) from inside the Camino bundle (Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins) and install the same two files from the newer Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.2 into ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins.

I do not know where to find "Camino bundle" -- when I download Camino there is only the application Camino and two readme's...
herbs

Post by herbs »

humanbeing wrote:
Uncle Asad wrote:Users of Camino 1.6.9 who need Java need to remove the Java Embedding Plugin (JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle and MRJPlugin.plugin) from inside the Camino bundle (Camino.app/Contents/MacOS/plugins) and install the same two files from the newer Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.7.2 into ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins.

I do not know where to find "Camino bundle" -- when I download Camino there is only the application Camino and two readme's...
Howdy,

Ctl-Click (or Right-Click) on Camino.app and choose `Show Package Contents.' Go into the `Contents/MacOS/plugins/' folder and replace the `JavaEmbeddedPlugin.bundle' and `MRJPlugin.plugin' by the ones supplied in the downloaded 0.9.7.2 version.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Bagheria

Java & Snow Leopard

Post by Bagheria »

On this site it shows some incompatibility with Camino 1.6.9 but beta 2.03b is marked okay. http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
thom-22

Re: Camino & Snow Leopard

Post by thom-22 »

Actually, both Camino 1.6 and 2.0b3 have the same problem with Snow Leopard -- they use older versions of the Java engine that is incompatible with 10.6. There is a work-around described in this bug, although users of 2.0b3 might as well just get the latest 2.0b4pre nightly instead.

To my knowledge, that's the only major issue with Camino and 10.6 (so far). There are a few minor issues that have been recorded in Bugzilla, but nothing, AFAICT, related to the issues described in the first two posts. graphite58 and stardomains - did you guys do a clean install or just upgrade existing Leopard? I am about to install SL and I think I'm going to go with a clean install...
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8 | Lisa's Applescripts for Camino
stardomains

Post by stardomains »

I did just the upgrade.
8-bit

Post by 8-bit »

thom-22 wrote:I am about to install SL and I think I'm going to go with a clean install...

Although things are "just supposed to work", a clean install is a wise move (IMHO). The underpinnings of the entire OS have been tweaked - this is more than just an "upgrade"...
bolobar

Post by bolobar »

thom-22 wrote:Actually, both Camino 1.6 and 2.0b3 have the same problem with Snow Leopard -- they use older versions of the Java engine that is incompatible with 10.6. There is a work-around described in this bug, although users of 2.0b3 might as well just get the latest 2.0b4pre nightly instead.

Where can I find the download for the latest 2.0b4pre nightly? I looked at the Camino website w/o luck.
Currently using 20b3.

Thanks
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

bolobar wrote:Where can I find the download for the latest 2.0b4pre nightly? I looked at the Camino website w/o luck.

It's the nightly download link.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

There's now an early (0.9) version of an AppleScript app to automate installing a newer JEP for 10.6 users; see the bottom of my post above.

It should work, but I don't currently have 10.6, so it's only been tested on 10.5 so far.