can not send emails all of a sudden

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
absor

can not send emails all of a sudden

Post by absor »

All of a sudden I can no longer send email. I can receive email just fine, and I can browse the web via my server, iinet. I have tried sending with all firewalls, virus protection, and spyware protection turned off, it still will not work. I have verified that the server outgoing mail setting is correct, smtp.iinet.com, and that the port is correct, 25. The version I am using is x.23, and I am pretty sure it just performed an automatic update. Perhaps this update is bad. I am thinking of doing a system restore, if XP will allow me to do that. Sometimes it thinks nothing has changed and refuses to do a restore, when in fact things have changed. Unless anybody has any other ideas. Can you uninstall an update by any chance?
DanRaisch

Re: can not send emails all of a sudden

Post by DanRaisch »

What is the exact text of the error message you are getting when trying to send messages?

Note that turning off firewalls usually means turning off the user interface but not the blocking functions. And some AV protection acts in the same way. You should (with Thunderbird closed) remove Thunderbird from the list of permitted applications in the firewall setting and then start Thunderbird so that the firewall can "discover" it is there.
vince-m

Post by vince-m »

I have same problem, can get my mail through earthlink but thunderbird say's earthlink need authentication to send message,Had this problem some time ago and for some reason fixed itself.I have an imac running mac os10.5.8, would be grateful for any help.

thank you vince
absor

Post by absor »

It just says that it can not connect to smtp.iinet.com. That's about it, no error messages or anything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you located in Australia?
absor

Post by absor »

Portland Oregon, why?
erg57

Post by erg57 »

I have had the same problem. I can send them if I am logged in. If I am not logged in I get the smtp error message. before this last update, i could send emails without logging in first. Not any more. I use Charter
Last edited by erg57 on August 28th, 2009, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Because the information on SMTP settings requirements that I get for iinet are all for iinet.net.au.

erg57, please stay in just one thread. You've already posted the same comment here -- viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1442385
erg57

Post by erg57 »

sorry Dan. I lost track when I editing and had mult threads open. My bad
absor

Post by absor »

WWW.IINET.COM

Formerly Pacifier.com, now owned by Infinity, I have no idea where their central office is.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What settings do you have for that SMTP server?
absor

Post by absor »

Problem solved. I went online to the support section of my internet provider. They have a step by step instruction on how to configure the outgoing email. It turns out that the port was wrong. When I changed my port setting to what they said it needs to be, it worked. Now why all of a sudden this happened I do not know. either the new thunderbird update made some changes to the settings, or my server made one of their own. But for anybody who has this problem, look at the settings recommended to you by your provider.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for reporting your findings.