Yahoo Mail Problem

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
James B. Glorioso

Yahoo Mail Problem

Post by James B. Glorioso »

I have an Yahoo account which works fine in IE. When I ran Thunderbird setup using what I thought was the correct mail server infomation I get receive failure to connect message. Need assist on server setup.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

Gord McFee
hansen

Post by hansen »

IE = Internet Explorer = browser
TB = Thunderbird = mail client
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

I am also having trouble accessing my Yahoo account. I tried the fixes listed here and on the FAQs, but when the system prompts me for a password, it bounces back saying Yahoo doesn't recognize the user/password for either sending or receiving messages. I just set up this account today through a DSL service and while I can view my mail using IE (password/user ID works there), I cannot seem to make Mozilla/TB work.

In case you can't tell, I'm not too knowledgeable about all of this and just looking for a way to decipher some of the messages I'm getting (for instance, Mr. Postman comes up with a .jar and I have no idea what that means). I don't understand mirroring and what site to select and what to do once I select something.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!
jbyronr

Post by jbyronr »

Have you installed YahooPOPS! Unless you're paying Yahoo for pop3 access, you'll need a program such as that to access your yahoo email from thunderbird. Also, with the latest version of Ypops!, configure it to use MD5 security, not HTTPS.
...close your eyes and this post will disappear...
AllyCat

Jeez...now I get...

Post by AllyCat »

...a message that the password can't be sent to the POP server because the server is down. Tried to change my password through IE, and then I get this new message when I try to access from TB.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Thanks jbyronr. Yes, I downloaded YahooPOPS! and Mr. Postman and neither of them seemed to do the trick. Tried to use YoSucker, but it wouldn't even download. And no, I'm not planning to pay Yahoo for anything!
jbyronr

Post by jbyronr »

What do you have set as the server in your Thunderbird account settings? I use 'localhost', but for the username I use my yahoo username. I don't suppose it is something as simple as that. I think you can also use 127.0.0.1 as the host/server name

I've never seen the message you are getting. When something is wrong, my Tbird status bar give me the regular 'Connecting to localhost' message, but it then never returns a "No messages on host' or 'Downloading x of y messages'.

Are you getting that far?
...close your eyes and this post will disappear...
lilly

Post by lilly »

I just set up a Yahoo account today, and have it working just fine in Thunderbird. You don't need to pay Yahoo for POP3 access; you get it free when you join Yahoo Delivers. Instead of paying to upgrade to Yahoo Plus with the extra storage and all that jazz, you agree to receive the odd ad email (you can set to only get one a week) and hey presto you get POP3. No need for any extra YahooPOP.
<A HREF="http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums">Clint Eastwood Web Board</A>
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Lilly, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing Spybot s/d and Adaware aren't going to allow that. They did that to my Excite account. (here I am talking like they are my boss or something--I love them!).

jbyronr, I have it set to direct connection, but the manual connection option has 'local host' and '127.0.0.1' in greyed out. Should I select that instead of direct connection? It's okay to suppose it's something as simple as that because I don't know what I am doing :)
lilly

Post by lilly »

Just on the off-chance...you aren't the AllyCat frpm the Clint Eastwood forum are you??
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Okay, I fixed it so I can send messages. Apparently, it needed my full email address, not just the ID. That does not fix the receive messages problem, however.

Now I get the 'connected to localhost' or '....127.0.0.1' depending on what I put in there as the server. No messages return. So you have had that problem jbryonr? Do you know what I should do now? The previous post was a clueless one on my part. I was looking at the wrong toolbar. Please disregard.
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

lilly wrote:Just on the off-chance...you aren't the AllyCat frpm the Clint Eastwood forum are you??
Ha ha!!1 no, I'm not! I do use that ID for most of my political and sport stuff though. Hilarious there is another one out there spelling it without the 'e'.
lilly

Post by lilly »

Yes, allycat is out there! Ah well, just wondered. Good luck with the email.
stefvik

Post by stefvik »

lilly wrote:I just set up a Yahoo account today, and have it working just fine in Thunderbird. You don't need to pay Yahoo for POP3 access; you get it free when you join Yahoo Delivers. Instead of paying to upgrade to Yahoo Plus with the extra storage and all that jazz, you agree to receive the odd ad email (you can set to only get one a week) and hey presto you get POP3. No need for any extra YahooPOP.

are you sure?
i receive those ad email but after i did not renovate the pop access - i did not want to pay i wasnt able to retrieve my messages via a mail program.

where are those options?

let me know - because I'd be happy top save 20 bucks!
stefano
Mac OS X 10.4.6 MacBook 13"