Cannot send mail from Att.net account

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Tomlong54210

Cannot send mail from Att.net account

Post by Tomlong54210 »

I finally added my Yahoo email account yesterday, and I had quite a bit of trouble setting it up. Now it has downloaded almost all of the messages from my ISP's server, without leaving copies. I cannot send a message (or use the redirection tool.) The error message I get after attempting to send an email from my sbcglobal.net account says something about authentication required and check that the email address on the account is correct...?

Second scenario: I added my email address to the outgoing server's authentication setting, and now I can send messages. However, I have to input my password in order to "send." Is this normal? Is there not a way to get around typing in my password. I want to redirect a large number of emails to my account, but it would be annoying if I had to type in my password 100 or more times. If there is no other way, I will...
Daifne

Re: Cannot send mail from Att.net account

Post by Daifne »

ATT/Yahoo will no longer let you send from a different address through your primary account's SMTP connection. They changed this at their end in mid-March last year, and have not communicated it very well, even to their own support folks.

Two different ways to deal with this have been reported:

1. To send from additional addresses through your primary ATT/Yahoo SMTP server setup:
Log into your account via your browser, and add the additional addresses to your main account on your account's webmail page via Options | Mail Addresses | Add.

2. Set up an additional SMTP entry in TBird for each of these addresses. See this article if you need help doing this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_SMTP ... derbird%29

(Thanks to makaiguy)
Tomlong75210

Post by Tomlong75210 »

What do yo mean by send from different addresses? I am only using it to send mail with the sbcglobal account I added to Thunderbird. Sorry, if I am misunderstanding. Also, is there a way to have sent items in a sent folder or something?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You mentioned your Yahoo account and your SBCGlobal.net account. That's two different accounts.
Tomlong75210

Post by Tomlong75210 »

My dsl.sbc.yahoo.com (now att.net) account has the sbcglobal.net suffix. At least, I used to think it was a Yahoo! account. Well, anyway, I am only using the one sbcglobal.net account. All of the Yahoo-AT&T stuff is just confusing me...
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

1 P B Y Q B

Post by 1 P B Y Q B »

ATT/Yahoo is somewhat of a pain. Though that is what I use myself. In order for Thunderbird to connect to one of these accounts you have to have Ypops installed. Ypops creates an e-mail server that sits in between Yahoo and Thunderbird so that Yahoo is not directly seeing Thunderbird. This is because if you are trying to use an e-mail client to access Yahoo rather than your browser, AT&T will only let you you a very smaller number of clients that they have decided to let you use. Also, with Yahoo the settings are non standard. for pop you use att.yahoo.com port 995. AT&T says you have to have ssl encryption turned on but don't do so. Select it as to be used, but do not actually enable it. Out for smtp use smtp.att.yahoo.com using port 465 and again the ssl as I mentioned before. Those are the settings for use in Nevada. If you live in a different state, you better check the ATT website site for your specific state and domain. Even though it is labeled sbcglobal.net, that in fact is not what the system is actually using if you had your account from before SBC bought AT&T Land Line Long distance and changed their name. In those cases what happens internally to the system so that no user externally on either end sees it is the following. In Nevada, once the message leaves your computer and gets into the system, AT&T changes it to nvbell.net and then on the receiving end changes it back to sbcglobal.net before giving it to the receiving computer. In California, they do the samething with Pacbell. The reason for this is that AT&T is not really AT&T. Way back when, SBC really was SBC. But when SBC bought the Pacific Telessis holding company along with the two independent operating companies of Nevada Bell and Pacific Bell they abolished Pacific Telessis. They then made SBC a holding company and Nevada Bell and Pacific Bell the actual operating companies but each one is legally seperate company and the operations of one did not involve the other. Then the SBC holding company bought AT&T land line long distance. At that point they got rid of the SBC holding company and it became the AT&T holding company. So then it became AT&T doing business as Nevada Bell, Pacific Bell and every other state where AT&T is at, there is a legally seperate company actually operating the phone service in that state using the original Bell name that was used before the the "ORIGINAL" AT&T company was dismembered in 1984.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Wrong. You do not need any special programs to use ATT Yahoo. You only need them for the free USA Yahoo accounts, not a Yahoo account that you are paying for through your ISP.
Tomlong75210

Post by Tomlong75210 »

Daifne wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=548075

And this from ATT: http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=287

Thank you for the link. I didn't notice an option to save the password, but maybe I just missed it. I also talked to the AT&T people before posting here and that is how I got the emails to download in the first place.

Thanks for the help. I'll hope for the best.
- Tomlong75210
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

One thing I've noticed with ATT Support is that they don't know the difference between secure authentication on receiving and the same on sending. ATT Support has been known to tell you to check that option in the incoming settings. This is wrong. You need that setting for sending only. This would be "Use name and password" under Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit