Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
wfp
Folder@Home

Re: Ubuntu 7.04/ 7.10 / 8.04/ 8.10 - After Installation Tips.

Post by wfp »

Hi Condo sorry for the late reply I use https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa
http://www.braillewithoutborders.org/EN ... ov_07.html
I like birds. But when spiders start eating birds that's a little creepy.
hhh

Post by hhh »

This thread is pretty dated, maybe we should start a new one for Jaunty and beyond?
Six Pack

Post by Six Pack »

hhh wrote:This thread is pretty dated, maybe we should start a new one for Jaunty and beyond?

When 9.10 will be released (October), would be a good time to open a new thread.
Ubuntu is Swahili for "I can't install Debian"
tqft

Post by tqft »

I admit it - ubuntu/open office has beaten me.

I managed to find instructions for killing the oo splash screen, but how & where do I configure what so that when I double click a spreadsheet/doc on the desktop it doesn't steal the focus after I have waited for it to load? I think it may be a gnome setting but I can't find it and my google-fu has failed me.
MichaelKohler

Post by MichaelKohler »

tqft wrote:I admit it - ubuntu/open office has beaten me.

I managed to find instructions for killing the oo splash screen, but how & where do I configure what so that when I double click a spreadsheet/doc on the desktop it doesn't steal the focus after I have waited for it to load? I think it may be a gnome setting but I can't find it and my google-fu has failed me.

You need to run gedit as root and modify /etc/openoffice/sofficerc.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/openoffice/sofficerc

There you should change the variable "Logo" to 0. Should then look like:

[Bootstrap]
Logo=0

Save the file and you shouldn't see the splash screen again.

from http://www.kvaes.be/ubuntu/disabling-th ... in-ubuntu/
tqft

Post by tqft »

Yes I managed to kill the splash screen but the behaviour after that has me beat.

When I double click the file on the desktop or am downloading from the net (eg job descriptions from a job site) it can take a while to load the file and then pop up in front of what I am doing stealing focus and stuffing whatever I am typing into the wrong document.

is there a way to change that behaviour? So when I load an oo doc it stays in the background if another app has focus?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Try right clicking on the file. You should get an option panel for opening with a list that allows software choice (probably "open with other") you wish or save the file.
Open Office has the settings for browsing, search and fax underneath an "Options" tag in the menu bar (like setting preferences)
Once aimed at a particular software there shouldn't be any cross file contamination if I am understanding you.
Focus should be maintained if the file your working with is active. There shouldn't be an override in OO.
Firefox will pick up the download from internet and nautilus will pick up the locals. Maybe check your nautilus settings under the Gconf-editor.
Control for the panel and questions should be under /System/Preferences/File management on opening the locals or the downloaded files unless you bring them out of the FF download panel.

I'm more used to doing this than describing it, please be patient. :roll:
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
MichaelKohler

Post by MichaelKohler »

tqft wrote:Yes I managed to kill the splash screen but the behaviour after that has me beat.

When I double click the file on the desktop or am downloading from the net (eg job descriptions from a job site) it can take a while to load the file and then pop up in front of what I am doing stealing focus and stuffing whatever I am typing into the wrong document.

is there a way to change that behaviour? So when I load an oo doc it stays in the background if another app has focus?

Oh, sorry, I guess I read your post too fast..
hhh

Post by hhh »

http://www.exaile.org/
My music player of choice. I used the version in the repository (via Synaptic or apt-get), as it includes Streamripper. Be warned that if you upgrade to the newer version from the repository version, your saved stations and Streamripper will disappear (so I am waiting till those upgrade bugs are worked out, keep an eye on the forum for info). Still buggy, and hard as hell to figure out the configurations, but I love it now that I have it set... Amarok on Gnome, but built for Gnome.

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/ear ... olume.html
That's how I got it working (I think), with great difficulty, but this is the homepage...
https://launchpad.net/earcandy
Again, completely buggy, but once I got it working, it's awesome. I listen to tunes on Exaile, fire up any video on Firefox and Exaile mutes till the video is done, then starts back up. HINT- the app inexplicably sets all its startup commands as "earcandy" when, in fact, they are supposed to be "ear_candy". Change them and your set, someone file a bug report if you want, I have stopped caring about Ubuntu bugs. I just struggle for days until I find a workaround and then move on. Also, there is an option to get rid of that hideous icon in your panel.

http://www.techthrob.com/2009/03/02/dra ... h-preload/
It has not changed my Firefox startup time, but has cut down by half the time it takes for the Gnome Main Menu Applet to open after booting. This bug-fix did nothing for me on Jaunty...
http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/speed- ... con-delay/

Now, if I could only find an acceptable workaround for the lack of copy/paste in Firefox after you close the browser (copy, close the browser, you cannot paste).
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Ever manage to drag around a panel by accident? Lock em down. Heck, I'll even throw in an icon to this deal for you! Image
Icon source.

Here's a wee bash script to toggle panel lock.

Code: Select all

if $(gconftool -g /apps/panel/global/locked_down) == "true"
then gconftool -t bool -s /apps/panel/global/locked_down "false"
else gconftool -t bool -s /apps/panel/global/locked_down "true"
fi
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

When you burn the download iso will it be the same as a live CD. I have 6.06 installed on my laptop (dual boot, XP as primary) and would like to experiment with 9.1 as a live cd as a possible replacement. 6.06 was installed from a live CD, not a download.

Or should I upgrade to Hardy and leave 9.1 alone for the time being. I don't use it much. But I believe everybody should be somewhat knowledgeable in Linux and it serves as a backup in case Windows doesn't boot so I can still get online for help.

Thanks
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

If you want bleeding edge, go ahead and get 9.10. Otherwise stick with Hardy since it's the last LTS>
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

I'm looking for stability and simplicity, so I think I'll take your advice on Hardy, Johann is an advanced Ubuntu user yet I saw where he was having trouble with 9.1. I should have upgraded to Hardy a while back but since it's working well and I don't use it much......sometimes things are better left alone.

Thanks

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered an 8.04LTS 32bit DVD from Ubuntu. $6 US +/- fair deal. I also downloaded the OS but I also like a factory CD/DVD
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's a good tip - don't forget just how many good Linux programs have been ported over to Windows.

I had this situation the other day on my Win XP. All I wanted was a very simple program to join mp4 together. Immediately on searching I was swept back 5 years to the world of endless adverts, demos, shareware, free that was not free and more limited feature demos........almost.

Then I remembered - http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ originally came from Linux and is Open Source. They are actually being quite modest on that website, with it's pre-installed filters, it actually quite sophisticated, but simple to use.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
earther

Post by earther »

I second that. I use Avidemux for all my video editing. Of course, never tried the Windoze version . . . ;)