Draft localization trademark policy ready for feedback

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bartd

Draft localization trademark policy ready for feedback

Post by bartd »

<a href="http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/l10n-policy.html">Here it is</a>. We welcome feedback, especially from LOCALIZATION PROJECT TEAM MEMBERS. When commenting below, please specify which localization team you are part of.
lynggaard

Post by lynggaard »

I just skimmed it. Looks fairly decent. I have a bunch of questions and suggestions, so I will give a full review when I get off from work.

/Henrik Lynggaard
Denmark
lynggaard

Post by lynggaard »

Here are my comments (reposted from the Newsgroup):

1. I my eyes this trademark policy places some demands on Mozilla Foundation (MF) and I think the policy needs a section about "our (MF) responsibility":

- MF must include the start page as part of the l10n freeze.
- MF must provide hosting for at least the start page.
- MF must communicate clear and appropiate deadlines and l10n freezes so the l10n team has a fair change of getting their stuff on CDs etc.
- If it is expected that MPL can be a point of contact for l10n related issues (trademark or otherwise), MF must include and consult them regarding issues and decisions that has l10n impact.

2. Official releases

- I think it should be legal to add link on it to Localized resources and support forumss.(e.g. the l10n teams homepage)

On a side note if http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ is the start page (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/start/ reverts to it), then I think it needs to be redesigned but thats another issue.

- I think it should be legal to add more search engines, I think many team would like to provide a national search engine besides just tweaking google.

- I think it should be legal to add spellchecker dictionaries, and make them default. Otherwise it will seriously impair the thunderbird translations.

- If Mozilla Foundation does not provide an official build for a given platform (e.g. amd64), can a "localized built by the team" be promoted to Official anyway ? (and can a non-localized?)

- I think a RTL should be allowed in both release types. It is an essential part of localizing for that part of the community. BTW: what do people do that reads up-down (or down-up)?

3. Community Releases

- My major concern is that If i cannot used the trademarked stuff in a community release, won't it fall outside the trademark policy ? and in that given case what "right" does Mozilla Foundation have to limit what I do with such a release ?? (This is mostly a retorical/factoroid question)

- If MF wont be hosting Community Editions on the site, I think ihey will degrade to normal "unofficial" releases, and people will do what they like... Just a worry...

- What is the point of limiting what prefs a l10n team can change ? could you please give an example of an restricted pref ?

- How will the introduction of CE builds affect the non-localized speciallity builds ?

Best Regards
Henrik Lynggaard
Denmark
tsahi

Post by tsahi »

Bart Decrem wrote:You can't prefix the name with Mozilla (eg "Mozilla Firefox Community Edition" is not allowed) or use the official Firefox or Thunderbird logos to identify the software. You can, of course, still use the unofficial ones.

this puzzles me. i must use the name e.g. "firefox community edition", but i can't use the logos? what does this mean? that i have to remove the logos from the build? what are the unofficial ones?

BTW, about the quality: because of bug 162081 hebrew firefox has access keys disabled. is that considered lower quality? (we have a bunch of other bugs that make a RTL locale look worse than a LTR one.)

/Hebrew L10n
Pike2

Post by Pike2 »

tsahi wrote:this puzzles me. i must use the name e.g. "firefox community edition", but i can't use the logos? what does this mean? that i have to remove the logos from the build? what are the unofficial ones?

You don't have to use the name, but you can use it, under the given constraints. If you can live without the name, you can do whatever the MPL allows.
tsahi wrote:BTW, about the quality: because of bug 162081 hebrew firefox has access keys disabled. is that considered lower quality? (we have a bunch of other bugs that make a RTL locale look worse than a LTR one.)
/Hebrew L10n

I understand this to be a layout bug, and not a bug in your localisation. On top of that, we are going to escalate bugs and do meetings and whatnot before we pull the plug on official builds of a localisation.

I replied to lynggaard in the ng, which is ok. We have enough folks watching both channels, I cleared that issue with Bart upfront. So we will gather the feedback we get from both here and the ng.
tsahi

Post by tsahi »

but what about the logos? will we have to remove them from the localized build?
Racer

Post by Racer »

I think the point is that if you do what the trademark policy says, then you can use the logos, and all other graphics that the official english build uses.
Pike2

Post by Pike2 »

tsahi wrote:but what about the logos? will we have to remove them from the localized build?

Yes, the logos are only for official releases, which will be made by mozilla.org from CVS.

Building from CVS without explicitly including the trademarked artwork will give you the community release artwork.
tsahi

Post by tsahi »

we currently have no plans to use CVS to build anything. the current hebrew l10n of firefox and thunderbird not only includes localised stuff, but also some modifications to some XUL files, in order to workaround bug 140577. building from cvs.mozilla.org will not allow us to do that. we are interested to continue working the way we did so far - opening the installer, make nessesary changes, and repack. where does that leave us?