Not so new addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
jmozmoz

Re: New addon to compact header pane in Thunderbird 3.0

Post by jmozmoz »

GMBF wrote:in some situations I would like it to appear as:
3)name.sender@domain (note currently hovering over "Name Sender" shows email address)

Hope that helps make it clearer.

Added as option to version 0.5.3.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

The collapse button is not centered in the middle again and the right click menu seems to be a lil' bit weird, when using the extension:

http://stashbox.org/621560/compact.png

Disabling the extension makes the rt click menu normal again. Display Mail User Agent extension is disabled.

Using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre) Gecko/20090904 Lightning/1.0pre Shredder/3.0b4pre and Compact Header 0.6.0
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

StoneCold wrote:The collapse button is not centered in the middle again and the right click menu seems to be a lil' bit weird, when using the extension:

I shifted down the collapse button a little bit. Included in the bug fix version 0.6.2

The problem with the context menu seems to be more complicated.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

When I move the mouse over one of the buttons, I get some kind of animation. Because the space between "From" and "Subject" will be a bit larger.
I guess this happens, because the space isn't large enough, when the mouse is not over one of the buttons.
Wouldn't it be better to increase the space when the mouse isn't over one of the buttons to get rid of the animation?

If you open both screenshots in browser tabs and you switch between the tabs, you can see the effect.

No mouse hover:

http://stashbox.org/622470/comp1.png

mouse over the buttons:

http://stashbox.org/622475/comp2.png

The collapse button is ok now, thanks.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

StoneCold wrote:When I move the mouse over one of the buttons, I get some kind of animation. Because the space between "From" and "Subject" will be a bit larger.
I guess this happens, because the space isn't large enough, when the mouse is not over one of the buttons.
Wouldn't it be better to increase the space when the mouse isn't over one of the buttons to get rid of the animation?

If you open both screenshots in browser tabs and you switch between the tabs, you can see the effect.

No mouse hover:

http://stashbox.org/622470/comp1.png

mouse over the buttons:

http://stashbox.org/622475/comp2.png

The collapse button is ok now, thanks.

I cannot reproduce the mouse effect. What version and operating system are you using? I see a somewhat similar effect, even without the addon: The more button is always shown. If it is clicked the buttons grow in height by one pixel. I can observe this using Windows. On Linux I cannot see this effect.
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

If you cannot repro it, it makes th e thing really hard to find then.

I'm using latest Shredder and latest version of your extension on a Windows XP system.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre) Gecko/20090904
oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

StoneCold wrote:If you cannot repro it, it makes th e thing really hard to find then.

I'm using latest Shredder and latest version of your extension on a Windows XP system.

I'm not seeing it on Win XP, latest Shredder and default theme, however using the TB3 Classic theme gives an exaggerated example of what you describe. (Edit: just tried TB3 Classic with the extension disabled and WFM therefore extension related)
I'll try on Vista later to see what's happening. (Edit: no problems in Vista)
Last edited by oorwullie on September 6th, 2009, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SM, TBird & FF trunk nightlies; Win 8.1/Ubuntu; Apache OOo 4
============================================
peterlairo

Post by peterlairo »

Very nice improvements!

A few suggestions:

1. The Other Actions icon should be in the last position (Tags should be second-to-last).

2. Many icons don't seem to have tool-tips (reply, forward, Other Actions,...)

3. All drop-down menu items should have Initial-CAPS (reply -> Reply, Open in New Window, Save As..., Print..., View Source, etc.) to be consistent with Thunderbird's other menus (on the most-used platform: Windows XP).

4. In the Show Details view, the Tags and Other Actions buttons should be on the same line as the other buttons (to be consistent with the Hide Details view, and it looks better).

Regards,
Peter Lairo
peterlairo

Post by peterlairo »

Oh, and if there's a way to provide separate Reply and Reply All buttons, that would be much better.

I really don't like having to think about what the single-button will do every time. The icon is not (and can never be) clear enough as to which action will be executed. Most normal users will not even notice or understand what is going on, and thus too often select the wrong (and potentially embarrassing) action.

It's one of those cases of: The software is trying to be too smart and only ends-up confusing the user.

Image ----> Image
Regards,
Peter Lairo
StoneCold

Post by StoneCold »

oorwullie: Weird, I tested it on another XP machine and get the same effect. Both running latest Shredder, with default standard theme. Haven't tried with the classic theme yet.
zamula

Post by zamula »

I'll update the classic theme after the holiday to incorporate any of the latest changes in the standard TB3 theme.

But to reiterate to all having problems, all I'm doing is copying over the old icons from TB2 (still in place in TB3 beta 2), plus a few minor CSS tweaks listed at the beginning of the thread. For those with issues, you could try to override them using various settings in userChrome.css and see if it resolves any problems. Based on the feedback, I'll make any required changes.

Also, the only header pane related CSS changes are to add icons to the buttons, perhaps I'll remove that as well and leave it all up to CompactHeader, since at this point it seems redundant.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

oorwullie wrote:
StoneCold wrote:If you cannot repro it, it makes th e thing really hard to find then.

I'm not seeing it on Win XP, latest Shredder and default theme, however using the TB3 Classic theme gives an exaggerated example of what you describe. (Edit: just tried TB3 Classic with the extension disabled and WFM therefore extension related)
I'll try on Vista later to see what's happening. (Edit: no problems in Vista)

I'm using Vista: There is only a problem if all header items are displayed. In "normal" header view, there is no "more" button an no problem. It seems independent whether the CompactHeader add-on is enabled or not.

Does anybody work with Linux? I tried it and there seem to be problems with the icons. Some are not available. So it seems that not all of them are included in the Linux default theme.
jmozmoz

Post by jmozmoz »

peterlairo wrote:1. The Other Actions icon should be in the last position (Tags should be second-to-last).

4. In the Show Details view, the Tags and Other Actions buttons should be on the same line as the other buttons (to be consistent with the Hide Details view, and it looks better).

You are right if only icons are displayed. But if you also display the text the first line might get overcrowded?!?

2. Many icons don't seem to have tool-tips (reply, forward, Other Actions,...)

3. All drop-down menu items should have Initial-CAPS (reply -> Reply, Open in New Window, Save As..., Print..., View Source, etc.) to be consistent with Thunderbird's other menus (on the most-used platform: Windows XP).

Until now I'm using the button box of the default header overlay. To change these things this box has to be reprogrammed completely . I also try to use as much of default "ENTITY" values as possible to keep this add-on as i18n compatible as possible. If I change this for English in the add-on the add-on has to provide its one strings for the other languages as well. Perhaps somebody should file a bug at bugzilla to change the spelling in Thunderbird's source code as well.

But if I had to redesign the button box I would propose to replace it by a toolbar. So the user could drop the icons/buttons he likes into this "header toolbar". Then each user could also decide if he wants the "intelligent" reply button.

I saw some discussion about this toolbar approach on bugzilla but I think there is still work needed.
neandr

Post by neandr »

Very good progress!!!

Some points:
-- the 'hide details' with the [other actions] now is not only 'hide' (and show compact mode) but also 'unhide' (and expand mode). So the label should be changed.
-- why not having the twisty deleted at the left side and adding an icon (like with the bug solution at https://bug511625.bugzilla.mozilla.org/ ... ?id=395823)

-- the 'email style' you added may consume a lot of vertical space. Did thought about disclosing the full address to the statusbar while hover of the address(es) in the header .. instead of adding/showing it to the header? (Maybe that solution doesn't need the option setting at all)
Günter
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x
neandr

Post by neandr »

Sorry, just noticed a minor problem:
Warning: assignment to undeclared variable i
Source file: chrome://compactheader/content/compactHeaderOverlay.js
Line: 590
//gW / Ubuntu11.04 / MAC 10.5 / WIN7; FX / TB 6.x