Can't add sites to bookmarks toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
wgman21

Can't add sites to bookmarks toolbar

Post by wgman21 »

I am using the bookmarks toolbar in FF 3.5.2 and for some reason I can't add any more bookmarks. I deleted some that I don't really use any more, but that wasn't it. It wasn't full. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I accidentally checked some option that has it locked, but can't find it. #-o
smsmith

Re: Can't add sites to bookmarks toolbar

Post by smsmith »

You may be in private browsing mode. I don't believe you can add bookmarks then. Look at the Tools menu. Should be an option to "End Private Browsing".
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

I doubt that's it. I just verified you can create bookmarks and add them to the bookmarks toolbar in private browsing mode. And they're still there after leaving private browsing. If I recall correctly, this is intended behavior, i.e. private browsing is not supposed to affect bookmarking.

Edit: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Pri ... not_retain
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

This might be caused by a known bug introduced in Fx 3.5. Install the bug447571 (Expand bookmarks toolbar) extension. Does that fix your problem?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I found another way to stop the bookmarks from being squashed by the search box, other than adding that extension. If you make the min width and max width the same and remove the flex property from the search box, it will not squash anything. Using "-moz-appearance: none !important;" for the #search-container element will remove the flex.
wgman21

Post by wgman21 »

Alan Baxter wrote:This might be caused by a known bug introduced in Fx 3.5. Install the bug447571 (Expand bookmarks toolbar) extension. Does that fix your problem?

I installed it and it didn't help. I can't figure it out. I was always able to add to it and then one day "poof", nothing!
wgman21

Post by wgman21 »

PS: I'm not browsing in Private Browsing Mode.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

It's possible that your bookmarks file has become corrupted. You can try restoring one of the backup files, or you can export your bookmarks to an HTML file, remove your bookmarks file and then import the file you exported. Here's how you can try each method:

Use Backup
Go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.
Press the Import and Backup button.
Choose Restore -> (file date)
Close and restart Firefox and try to make a bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar.

Start fresh
Open Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.
Hit the Import and Backup button, choose Export HTML.
Save the file to somewhere safe that you'll remember.
Close Firefox.
Go to your profile folder and move the file called places.sqlite somewhere else (don't delete it, just move it).
Open Firefox, note that your bookmarks should be restored from an earlier backup. Unfortunately, you'll lose your history.
Try to create a bookmark on your toolbar. If it works, great! If it doesn't, close Firefox and put the places.sqlite file back into your profile so your history is restored.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
newsoft

Post by newsoft »

Did anyone solve this problem?
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

newsoft - you appear to be posting just to post and copying previous posts, which is against several of the rules here. Please stop. Thank you.
wgman21

Post by wgman21 »

smsmith wrote:It's possible that your bookmarks file has become corrupted. You can try restoring one of the backup files, or you can export your bookmarks to an HTML file, remove your bookmarks file and then import the file you exported. Here's how you can try each method:

Use Backup
Go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.
Press the Import and Backup button.
Choose Restore -> (file date)
Close and restart Firefox and try to make a bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar.

Start fresh
Open Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.
Hit the Import and Backup button, choose Export HTML.
Save the file to somewhere safe that you'll remember.
Close Firefox.
Go to your profile folder and move the file called places.sqlite somewhere else (don't delete it, just move it).
Open Firefox, note that your bookmarks should be restored from an earlier backup. Unfortunately, you'll lose your history.
Try to create a bookmark on your toolbar. If it works, great! If it doesn't, close Firefox and put the places.sqlite file back into your profile so your history is restored.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

Thanks! I will be away from my computer for the rest of the day, but I will try this in the next couple of days and let you know if it works. It's such a nice toolbar when it's working!
wgman21

Post by wgman21 »

I still can't drag n drop, but I can add to the bookmarks toolbar by clicking bookmarks and choosing to add it to the toolbar. A little slower, but it gets me where I want to end up. Thanks for all of the responses.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm curious... if you open your bookmarks sidebar can you drag something to the bookmarks toolbar that way?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!