[SOLVED] location bar does not go to URL

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
HMunn

[SOLVED] location bar does not go to URL

Post by HMunn »

When I type part of a URL into the location bar, the drop-down menu suggests a number of options. One of the options is the full URL which I want to go to. I select that option and press enter. However, I am taken to a page, with Yahoo in the corner, which has many references to the topic I am interested in, but none of them is the URL I want to go to.The URL of this page starts with http://www1.dlinksearch.com/752150.... Even if I type the entire URL into the location bar and then press Enter, I still get this search page. The end result is that I cannot go to the URL I want.

How do I turn this behaviour off?

I've looked under "Options" but couldn't find anything except the History/Bookmark options for the location bar.

Thanks.
Last edited by HMunn on September 8th, 2009, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoudNoise

Re: location bar does not go to URL

Post by LoudNoise »

Have you ran any malware scanners recently?

Daifne's list of Malware removers/suggestions

Daifne wrote:
Install and run these programs.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SuperAntispyware
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy

If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forum.aumha.org/
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
HMunn

Re: [SOLVED] location bar does not go to URL

Post by HMunn »

I recently installed a new d-link router, so, because the URL that kept intruding was "dlinksearch" I checked my router home page and found a reference to Yahoo widgets. I Googled yahoo widgets and found they can be uninstalled through add/remove programs on a PC. I removed the Yahoo toolbar, and now Firefox works great again. I must have accidentally given permission to install the Yahoo toolbar when I installed the new router.

Thanks for your help.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Thanks for getting back to us. I got a feeling that is going to become an often used answer.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
HMunn

Post by HMunn »

Thanks, Loud Noise.

Perhaps, for a moderator, one might be tempted to use the masthead from the Whitehorse Star, founded in 1900 during the Gold Rush:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum, rallying cry of the harried moderator.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Personally, I am more or less resigned to "Num? Me Vexo?" :). However, thanks for the thought.
Post wrangler
exhook

Post by exhook »

I updated the firmware in my DLINK DIR-825 and had the same issue. It was a firmware setting. Shame on you DLink!

Goto Setup/Internet On the bottom of the page click on the manual Internet Setup Button.

Uncheck the "Advanced DNS Service" box. Save settings and reboot. (Your done)

Here is the explanation on the Router:
Advanced DNS Service : Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos.
ooomy

Post by ooomy »

When "Advanced DNS Service" is activated in the dlink router, it no longer uses your ISP's DNS server, it starts using DLinks own DNS server. And when DLink's DNS server fails to lookup a domain address, it will return the search page instead. The two main problems are:

1. DLink's own DNS server often fails to make a proper DNS lookup, and therefor redirects you to a search page when you have written a correct URL

2. DLink does not inform the user about this, and you get the impression some malware has taken your search bar. But it is in fact this "security service" in the DLink router that is the cause.

The reason is most likely that DLink wants some control over you and make money on search ads when you make a typing mistake.

You can typically prove this to yourself by writing a non existing domain address in the address field of your browser, and then compare the results you get back when "Advanced DNS Service" is on and when it is off. When it is on, you will get the search result, when it is off, you get the normal address not found browser error.

In DLink's forum they seem to officially deny this feature. It is a bit strange that you deploy a "security fearture" which users believe is malware, and which you don't stand up for as a company.