How to stop it from saving to a temp folder?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
joto

How to stop it from saving to a temp folder?

Post by joto »

Ok maybe this is just a pet peeve for me alone but is there any way to stop firebird from saving to a temp folder when it downloads things? I've never understood why browsers do this. If Im downloading a 1 gig file and I say I want it on X hard drive I want it on X hard drive not on some other hard drive which it then COPIES from!

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Prolly because I can't figure out which words to use for the search on something like this ;).

Anyways if anyone has any info thank you. Im using a phoenix 0.5 build but I'll upgrade if the functionality to do this is in a newer build.

Thanks.
Joao M

Re: How to stop it from saving to a temp folder?

Post by Joao M »

joto wrote:Ok maybe this is just a pet peeve for me alone but is there any way to stop firebird from saving to a temp folder when it downloads things? I've never understood why browsers do this. If Im downloading a 1 gig file and I say I want it on X hard drive I want it on X hard drive not on some other hard drive which it then COPIES from!

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Prolly because I can't figure out which words to use for the search on something like this ;).

Tools > Options > General > Download Folder > Save all files to this folder
Micha the not so Old

Post by Micha the not so Old »

Perhaps Joto is refering to the way Firebird saves the file as it is being downloaded, before it is stored in the download file of choice.
I have noticed this too, when my connection goes down during a large download, and I want to see if it has been lost or will resume again when I reconnect.
joto

Post by joto »

Joao that's not what I'm talking about. I should probably specify Im using Win2k.

I found out the problem is even WORSE than I originally thought.

One it starts saving the file to a temp folder specifically

Documents and Settings\Username\LocalSettings\Temp

Even worse it then begins caching the file as well

THEN Im assuming its going to COPY the file after its downloaded (just because Im cynical. I can't confirm it does this yet).

Which means that if I want to download a 1 gig file I need 3 gigs of space to download it into. It also means all this space MUST be on the hard drive which Windows is installed on.

This is really bad behavior. Theres no reason for any file thats downloading to be put into cache and a temp folder. It should specifically download ONLY to the folder I tell it to download into. Im sure they have reasons for this setup but I want to know how I turn it off since I don't even have that much space on the partition in question. This isn't a one time problem. Anytime I need to download some sort of demo or beta test or anything like this I end up scrounging for a lot more space than I should need.

Amaron
Bushwack

Post by Bushwack »

Yeah this is a known problem. A couple related bugs are 69938, 74085, if you're feeling adventureous you can try 55690, but be sure to check out comment #4 in 55307 which sums the conflict up nicely.

Basically the problem is that in order for the browser to start downloading right away it has to save the file somewhere before you tell it where to save the file, the question is where is the best place to save it? Personnally I'd like the option to disable downloading before I tell the browser where to put the file.
joto

Post by joto »

I figured there was a reason. You'd think it would at least have the coding to check if the location it tries to save to has enough space before starting the download.

Sounds like the only solution is to make the program ask for a location to save too before it starts downloading. Or rather have the option to make it do that. Personally I think that should be the default functionality because most users won't understand whats going on when they get that disk space error that they shouldn't be getting.

I understand correctly though that there is no functionality in the current versions to force firebird to only make -one- copy of a file instead of 3?

Amaron
../frank

Post by ../frank »

I would also prefer an option to disable pre-downloading to a temp directory unless I can specify the name of that temp directory.

On my Microsoft Windows machine I have the Pho^H^H^HFirebird cache on a different partition than the Windows system files. I have my Firebird profile and binaries on yet another partition.
../frank
My avatar cat, Mr. Gary Gray, passed away on 17 Oct 2013. RIP Gary! :cry:
Eskarel

You should be able to.

Post by Eskarel »

Unless I'm drastically mistaken the temp directory used by phoenix, and well every other browser on the windows platform is your defined temp directory or possibly your defined tmp directory.

Both of these are environment variables which can be changed under advanced tab of the system control panel.
joto

Post by joto »

Yea you can change where the temporary files go but theres still no way to stop it from making temporary files and hence there will still be 3 copies of the file which can be a big problem in the case of a big file.
yurk

Post by yurk »

Why would you want to use a *browser* to download a 1GB file at the first place ?