firefox won't save my homepage

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gubar

firefox won't save my homepage

Post by gubar »

I changed my homepage to comcast.net, but firefox keeps changing it back to google. Plus, the "welcome to firefox" page keeps loading. Any idea on how to fix these problems. Thanks!!
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Set your homepage again, then copy the line from the prefs to a user.js file, which goes in the same directory as prefs.js. That way, the home page will stay put. This is the line:
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.whatever.org/");
gubar

Post by gubar »

thanks!!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Remember that if you want to change the Home page that you need to remove the pref in user.js: settings in user.js are loaded every time Firefox is started and override (undo) the changes that you made in the previous Firefox session.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

settings in user.js are loaded every time Firefox is started

Settings in user.js are copied when Firefox shuts down, not when it is started.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

[Anonymosity wrote]: "Settings in user.js are copied when Firefox shuts down, not when it is started."

If that is true then what would be the purpose of user.js: you would have to start and close Firefox at least one time to get the prefs working.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That is exactly what you have to do. On setting up a new profile, once the new profile is created, I put user.js and the other backed-up files into it, launch Firefox, see that my settings are not in place, shut it down and launch again and find that now my settings are there.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I just tried it with a clean profile: copied user.js to it and started Firefox and all the prefs from user.js showed on the about:config page.
Is Firefox closed when you copy the file user.js to the profile folder?
If you use Chrome Edit Plus to create it then only after closing and restarting Firefox it will take effect.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I do shut down Firefox before changing anything in the profile. I am not bothered by the need to start FF, shut down and then restart. My settings do get copied, and that is what I care about.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Of course if you look at prefs.js instead of the about:config page then you need to start and close Firefox to see prefs from user.js appear in prefs.js, but they are applied after launching Firefox with the user.js file in place.
ankit

some problem with firefox ?

Post by ankit »

there is some problem........i log into my account in travian and if i try and click of any of the options in there ........firefox turns me back onto the login page ..
plz help.....
LIMPET235

Re: firefox won't save my homepage

Post by LIMPET235 »

ankit....
Would you please start a new thread & leave these oldies to R.I.P.
Thank you.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)